Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2 WEEKS POST-OP WITH A BIT OF TROUBLE

Posted by Tina R. on 7/08/01 at 09:27 (052457)

A quick update on my foot, as I had the stitches from my open PFR and TTR removed on 7-6. The incision is L-shaped along the inside of my foot. The bottom half of the incision, running parallel with the bottom of my foot, is not healing as quickly as the other half. The doctor, an orthopedic surgeon, gave me the green light to begin walking a bit as tolerated. I did an incredibly stupid thing after I left the doctor's office, I went to Wal-Mart. I pushed a basket and didn't have any problems with balance or walking. Certainly a bit slow and with a moderate limp, of course. When I was in the checkout line of what is undoubtedly the slowest checker in the Wal-Mart organization, I looked at my incision and realized the bottom portion had come apart on the very top layer of the skin, in spite of the steri-strips applied by the doctor. I was so incredibly frustrated I had to fight back tears. I even asked the checker to please get someone to walk to the car with me to unload the sacks. As I was finishing writing my check, my husband appeared! He and my sister were worried, as I had not called after I left the Dr. (My cell phone was dead.) He decided he would drive through the Wal-Mart parking lot, he knows my weaknesses. I was busted! After a nice scolding, he drove my car to the front of the store and unloaded the groceries for me. I applied new steri-strips to the incision and decided to scale-back my walking quite a bit. I only walked around the house yesterday, but the incision still did not stay closed. If I take a relatively normal step instead of on the ball of my foot, I can feel the incision pulling. Surprisingly, this is pretty much my only problem. I am very pleasantly surprised at the ease of walking. My husband is going to talk to the surgeon about the incision this morning, he goes to church with us. If he is on call and not at church this morning, I will call the office in the morning.

Any suggestions for helping the healing of this last layer of skin progress better would be greatly appreciated. At this rate, I am going to have one dickens of a yucky scar!

Re: 2 WEEKS POST-OP WITH A BIT OF TROUBLE

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052752)

If he/she told you to change the dressing yourself, use betadine (if not allergic) it does help.

Re: 2 WEEKS POST-OP WITH A BIT OF TROUBLE

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052752)

If he/she told you to change the dressing yourself, use betadine (if not allergic) it does help.