Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

to Nancy S

Posted by Kay S on 7/08/01 at 15:01 (052474)

I bet you are thinking, 'will this NEVER end????'. You have certainly had more than your share of trials this past year, and now with this new shoulder thing.........it must make you feel like you are falling apart a piece at a time!
Although I do not know much about people who have a frozen shoulder without having surgery, (I don't ever see those patients) I will tell you that we see about one a month in our community hospital who is having surgery for a frozen shoulder. It is called a 'manipulation' and basically, the ortho doc pulls on your shoulder and unfreezes all those tight ligaments, etc. by sheer force. It is done with anesthesia, but doesn't take very long. To me it seems like this is the 'do it all at once' kind of treatment rather than having physical therapy for six months to help get it unfrozen. I think the patients still have to have some physical therapy after this, but just to make sure the shoulder is kept mobile. It is an outpatient procedure, of course, and most of the people who have it done have tried many other things first. There is no cutting, and after the initial post op healing, I think it is a matter of continuing with the therapy for a month or two.
While I am not suggesting that this is your next step, I wanted you to be aware of another thing that can be done, just in case you don't have any luck with your present therapies. I always find it helpful to know there is something else that can be done......it keeps me from losing hope that something will work!
I am so sorry for all your pain. I know it is hard to sleep with a bum shoulder. Once a patient who weighed about 400# (literally!) yanked on my arm and did a number on my shoulder and I was dealing with that for almost a year. It got better and tolerable, but it was a long haul. Now I guess I have arthritis in it, but can't say that it bothers me very often. The thing I remember was not being able to sleep and how it kept waking me up through the night. Then you are less able to deal with the pain during the day because you are so tired. It's a vicious circle, isn't it?
Nancy------just put this on your ever-growing list of bumps on the way to your golden years.....which some tell me are not so golden!!!! Do you think we can make it???
Kay

Re: to Nancy S

Denise D. on 7/09/01 at 00:47 (052511)

Hi Nancy,
I wish I had some good advice for you, bless your heart you've had a rought time of it, just know that we are all thinking about you and hoping that it all gets better.
Friends,
Denise D.

nancy s. on 7/09/01 at 01:29 (052514)

thanks so much for the encouragement, kay and denise. as you can see from the time of my post, you're very right that the shoulder can wake me up. right now i sleep on the couch and have a sheet bunched up between the shoulder and the back of the couch so that i can't roll over on it in my sleep, which is a killer. but it takes even less than that, unfortunately! just now a moth hit me in the face and i merely tensed up my arms and shoulders in surprise, and wow, the pain is unbelievable!
i've discovered that i can type two-handed if i put my wireless keyboard on a pillow and keep it very close in so i don't have to reach anywhere. don't like using the shift key for those capitals, though, so for now i've joined the lowercase-only club, which i know includes john h for one, so i'm in good company. this was a great discovery -- typing with one hand got old on the very first day.
kay, i've read about that unfreezing the shoulder under anesthesia, and i know i'm not ready for that yet even though, like you say, it's always good to have something in the back of the mind to try if all else fails. it sounds so violent, though! do you know if the patients you've seen have it done got through it with no broken bones or tears anywhere? this is considered a last resort, right?
compared with the last two years, i'd say the golden years will have to be an improvement. i see people 30 years older than i am walking around having a better time. so i hope to be like them.
wishing you all the luck in the world with your feet! from nancy

Denise D. on 7/09/01 at 00:47 (052511)

Hi Nancy,
I wish I had some good advice for you, bless your heart you've had a rought time of it, just know that we are all thinking about you and hoping that it all gets better.
Friends,
Denise D.

nancy s. on 7/09/01 at 01:29 (052514)

thanks so much for the encouragement, kay and denise. as you can see from the time of my post, you're very right that the shoulder can wake me up. right now i sleep on the couch and have a sheet bunched up between the shoulder and the back of the couch so that i can't roll over on it in my sleep, which is a killer. but it takes even less than that, unfortunately! just now a moth hit me in the face and i merely tensed up my arms and shoulders in surprise, and wow, the pain is unbelievable!
i've discovered that i can type two-handed if i put my wireless keyboard on a pillow and keep it very close in so i don't have to reach anywhere. don't like using the shift key for those capitals, though, so for now i've joined the lowercase-only club, which i know includes john h for one, so i'm in good company. this was a great discovery -- typing with one hand got old on the very first day.
kay, i've read about that unfreezing the shoulder under anesthesia, and i know i'm not ready for that yet even though, like you say, it's always good to have something in the back of the mind to try if all else fails. it sounds so violent, though! do you know if the patients you've seen have it done got through it with no broken bones or tears anywhere? this is considered a last resort, right?
compared with the last two years, i'd say the golden years will have to be an improvement. i see people 30 years older than i am walking around having a better time. so i hope to be like them.
wishing you all the luck in the world with your feet! from nancy