Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more questions....

Posted by Carmen H on 7/09/01 at hrmin (052527)

Since I am new on here and new to this wretched syndrome I have a feeling I will be posting messages a lot to start....I appreciate all the input and advice so far. What I want to know is this.....when I lay down to go to sleep last night my feet felt like they were full of cellophane. There was the feeling of popping and cracking in my feet. Does this sound crazy? Also wondering if anyone can give me a general idea of how the 'healing' starts to feel? Is it common to feel worse before you feel better?
I have been thinking about getting my podiatrist to refer me to a foot and ankle ortho.....I am not very 'happy' with my POD and his lack of concern and detail.

Re: more questions....

BrianG on 7/09/01 at 07:40 (052528)

Hi Carmen,

I've had lot's of popping and crackling in my body, but most of it was back in the late 60's, early 70's :*)
But thats another story. I haven't had any symptoms like you describe. If your not happy with your Pod, find another one. You are paying good money, they should be 'listening' to every word you say. I hope you find your answers.

BCG

Andrea R. on 7/09/01 at 11:27 (052543)

Carmen,

The only popping and cracking I felt was when I move my foot. I was told there are various reasons for that but not necessarily related to the PF. I found massage and wiggling my feet helped reduce it.

If you have trouble finding an foot and ankle ortho log on to http://www.aofas.org . I would ask your primary care physician rather than the podiatrist for a referral. With my ortho I found I had to ask specific questions to get the answers I needed. I even told him on my final visit after surgery that he needed to give better post-op instructions. The ones the hospital gave me contradicted some of his instructions (I followed his and called his office when I had additional questions.)

Happy healing.

Andrea

JudyS on 7/09/01 at 14:14 (052556)

Hi Carmen - your questions are very typical of PF sufferers and I hope I can add a little info for you, as will others here. Patience for how long? It's just impossible to say. But I can tell you this - the more you stay off them and take care of them right now, the better your chances at making the wait shorter. Staying off pretty much means no unnesscessary on-feet activity like jogging, tennis, hiking, long walks ,etc. However, some of us have found that staying off them completely really only led to atrophy and that didn't help any. Normal daily activities should be OK, within reason, if you're also following conservative treatments religiously. But if your job requires hours a day of on-feet activity you'll have problems.
I had that 'crackling' feeling too and found that regular massages and warm soaks helped. I'm not sure what it's from. It's not uncommon to experience the ups and downs of feeling fine one day and sore the next - you'll pick up your body's tempo on that and learn when not to overdo. Will you get worse before you get better? Maybe yes and maybe no - it depends on how you treat yourself. There's nothing that says you'll get worse first - it's really not necessary if you're paying attention to things. Did I see that you got new inserts? Are they custom? If so be sure to break them in slowly so as not to get other foot problems.

Carmen H on 7/09/01 at 16:51 (052571)

THANK YOU for that link! I REALLY appreciate it!
Glad to know my foot cracking isn't only me.....
:-)

Carmen H on 7/10/01 at 19:45 (052711)

Keep me posted on the ultrasound if you don't mind?
thank you!!!!

Re: To Carmen H. Re: Ultrasound

Denise D. on 7/10/01 at 23:36 (052732)

Hi Carmen,
Well I went for my first ultrasound treatment today. I was very impressed with the Chiropractor, he took his time, answered all of my questions and seemed like he was really concerned about my heel pain. I wish all Dr's were like that, although it sounds like Dr. Z is.
He gave me one treatment of about 15 min. I go back this Fri for another one. He said it may take several before I begin to notice a change, being honest with me he also said it might not help at all, but at least its worth a try.
He encouraged me to exercise my foot more than I have been, suggesting that during dinner,watching tv, sitting at the computer, just what ever I'm doing sitting down to message my foot, using a rolling pin, iced bottle of water etc. So that's what I'm going to do.
I'll keep you posted
Denise D.

Carmen H on 7/11/01 at 13:23 (052827)

Thanks Denise. I do a LOT of exercise so maybe I am on the right track. It seems to be helping.

BrianG on 7/09/01 at 07:40 (052528)

Hi Carmen,

I've had lot's of popping and crackling in my body, but most of it was back in the late 60's, early 70's :*)
But thats another story. I haven't had any symptoms like you describe. If your not happy with your Pod, find another one. You are paying good money, they should be 'listening' to every word you say. I hope you find your answers.

BCG

Andrea R. on 7/09/01 at 11:27 (052543)

Carmen,

The only popping and cracking I felt was when I move my foot. I was told there are various reasons for that but not necessarily related to the PF. I found massage and wiggling my feet helped reduce it.

If you have trouble finding an foot and ankle ortho log on to http://www.aofas.org . I would ask your primary care physician rather than the podiatrist for a referral. With my ortho I found I had to ask specific questions to get the answers I needed. I even told him on my final visit after surgery that he needed to give better post-op instructions. The ones the hospital gave me contradicted some of his instructions (I followed his and called his office when I had additional questions.)

Happy healing.

Andrea

JudyS on 7/09/01 at 14:14 (052556)

Hi Carmen - your questions are very typical of PF sufferers and I hope I can add a little info for you, as will others here. Patience for how long? It's just impossible to say. But I can tell you this - the more you stay off them and take care of them right now, the better your chances at making the wait shorter. Staying off pretty much means no unnesscessary on-feet activity like jogging, tennis, hiking, long walks ,etc. However, some of us have found that staying off them completely really only led to atrophy and that didn't help any. Normal daily activities should be OK, within reason, if you're also following conservative treatments religiously. But if your job requires hours a day of on-feet activity you'll have problems.
I had that 'crackling' feeling too and found that regular massages and warm soaks helped. I'm not sure what it's from. It's not uncommon to experience the ups and downs of feeling fine one day and sore the next - you'll pick up your body's tempo on that and learn when not to overdo. Will you get worse before you get better? Maybe yes and maybe no - it depends on how you treat yourself. There's nothing that says you'll get worse first - it's really not necessary if you're paying attention to things. Did I see that you got new inserts? Are they custom? If so be sure to break them in slowly so as not to get other foot problems.

Carmen H on 7/09/01 at 16:51 (052571)

THANK YOU for that link! I REALLY appreciate it!
Glad to know my foot cracking isn't only me.....
:-)

Carmen H on 7/10/01 at 19:45 (052711)

Keep me posted on the ultrasound if you don't mind?
thank you!!!!

Denise D. on 7/10/01 at 23:36 (052732)

Hi Carmen,
Well I went for my first ultrasound treatment today. I was very impressed with the Chiropractor, he took his time, answered all of my questions and seemed like he was really concerned about my heel pain. I wish all Dr's were like that, although it sounds like Dr. Z is.
He gave me one treatment of about 15 min. I go back this Fri for another one. He said it may take several before I begin to notice a change, being honest with me he also said it might not help at all, but at least its worth a try.
He encouraged me to exercise my foot more than I have been, suggesting that during dinner,watching tv, sitting at the computer, just what ever I'm doing sitting down to message my foot, using a rolling pin, iced bottle of water etc. So that's what I'm going to do.
I'll keep you posted
Denise D.

Carmen H on 7/11/01 at 13:23 (052827)

Thanks Denise. I do a LOT of exercise so maybe I am on the right track. It seems to be helping.