Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mary How are you?

Posted by Tammie on 7/09/01 at 19:56 (052590)

Hi Have not heard from you Mary are you Ok? I know you were to see Your dr. today I hope all went well for you! Hugs to you!

Re: Mary How are you?

Laurie R on 7/09/01 at 20:19 (052593)

Hello Mary , I hope you are doing well. Let us know what the doctor had to say. My very best to you.Laurie R

Re: TAMMIE AND LAURIE

Mary S. on 7/09/01 at 22:53 (052605)

Hello, girls!! I saw the doctor today, and I'm sort of stressed out over what he told me. He said it was fine that my family doctor changed my antibotics but that he thought it would have resolved itself without that.
Now, he told me prior to surgery that I would be back to normal in 6-8 weeks. Then, today he said that he told me 6 to 12 months!!! That is not what he told me. My mouth fell open!! I chose this surgery because of the short healing time-frame that he had given me.
We discussed the severe swelling and the fact that I can't wear a shoe and he said that I might have to teach from a chair with my foot up. Oh, he has to be kidding!!! No way can I do that. I have to be up and all over the place.
I asked him if he could help me with an ankle boot or anything that is padded--the one I am wearing is rock hard on bottom and closes with velcro. The velcro is fine for now, but the sole is sooo hard and no arch support--very flat. He said he didn't have anything, just to buy a shoe about three sizes larger.
He told me to get up and move around an hour or two at a time and then elevate--then back up and more of the same-- to elevate when I see swelling.
Well , I have about 3 more weeks to lick this thing, and I intend to do it. We have started massaging my foot and leg, and I think that is going to help. Also, there is a business here called, 'Slender You'. It is actually a series of tables that you get on, and they move various parts of your body--legs arms, back. You apply resistance. It is supposed to be great for circulation and swelling. I am starting tomorrow!! I am going to start drinking 8 glasses of water a day, which should act as a natural diuretic. In other words, I'm getting ready to attack this problem.
I appreciate ya'll checking in on me!!! It really means so much and boosts my spirits.
I hope that both of you are doing great and making progress. WE ARE GOING TO GET THROUGH THIS!! You can be sure that I remember my heelspurs.com friends in my prayers.
Ya'll take care and keep me posted!! Love and HUgs!!!!

Laurie R on 7/10/01 at 00:27 (052608)

HI Mary and thank you so much for your up date. I do have a problem with two things your doctor told you . One is how can you walk in a shoe that is three sizes to big for you ? That makes no sence to me at all. You might fall and hurt yourself.I would not do that .

Also when your doctor told you how long it would take to recover. That is not right if he told you one thing before surgery then another after.

With your great attitude you will get through this Mary . You know we are so here for you .

Also there is no way you can teach from a chair with your feet up ... I watch my kids teachers , teaching kids is very hard.

Keep us posted Mary we are thinking about you .

My very best to you .email me anytime you would like to talk. angels1108@msn.com

Laurie R

Re: Get some foam padding in that boot !!

BrianG on 7/10/01 at 07:03 (052637)

Hi Mary,

I have worn walking boots in the past. Your Pod should be able to give you some foam to put in the boot. Mine did, it was thin, but dense. I cut it to shape, and it really helped to make the boot more comfertable. Call you Pod back and ask him for the foam.

BCG

Re: Re:Mary

Tammie on 7/10/01 at 19:26 (052708)

hello Mary,
I am so sorry that your visit did not go the way you had hoped! But all is not lost yet as I sense a fighter here lol! Ok so on with it! I cannot understand his feelings on the infection that is sad because a infection could be serious and cause a delay of proper healing I would think! But then I do not have the degree on my wall yet hehehe! As for the shoes, hmm well a interesting challenge I see, this could work you know with a little bit of a sense of humor and we can get thru it , there has to be something for your feet , Brian had a good idea about the foam, I bet you could get some from the sewing store if worse comes to worse or a old cushion,heeh you could design a going back to school shoe for the kids glue a bit of ruffle on it or glue some little buttons or gee get creative! No shoe should hold you back! As for the extended healing time I am sorry I kinda had a feeling it would be longer and then with the infection, but listen you can rise above this to! It takes time for healing of the feet as we are all learning ! We will help you thru this really just let us know how, if it means figuring out a shoe we will do it, if it means figuring out how you might teach and sit we will work on it there have been many teachers who have posted here I have seen posts before about how they used a rolling chair of sorts, why even if you had a wheel chair for the long runs, Mary chin up we are going to see you thru this! I know it sounds hopeless but if you cannot be home if there is no way for more leave then we must help you find a way to continue your job, and take care of your healing leg to! So come on everyone lets help her find ways to aleviate her fears! They have to have adapted equipment for handicaps, and well a teacher is important and it is not easy to replace one, so you need to take care of yourself mary and put u first! My mind will be in overdrive thinking about you lol! Keep the chin up,really it is not all lost ! You have lots to look forward to ! We are here for you, you know if we can help there are many willing ! Take care and rest it ! NO over doing it! Hugs to u!!!!!!

Re: Mary How are you?

Laurie R on 7/09/01 at 20:19 (052593)

Hello Mary , I hope you are doing well. Let us know what the doctor had to say. My very best to you.Laurie R

Mary S. on 7/09/01 at 22:53 (052605)

Hello, girls!! I saw the doctor today, and I'm sort of stressed out over what he told me. He said it was fine that my family doctor changed my antibotics but that he thought it would have resolved itself without that.
Now, he told me prior to surgery that I would be back to normal in 6-8 weeks. Then, today he said that he told me 6 to 12 months!!! That is not what he told me. My mouth fell open!! I chose this surgery because of the short healing time-frame that he had given me.
We discussed the severe swelling and the fact that I can't wear a shoe and he said that I might have to teach from a chair with my foot up. Oh, he has to be kidding!!! No way can I do that. I have to be up and all over the place.
I asked him if he could help me with an ankle boot or anything that is padded--the one I am wearing is rock hard on bottom and closes with velcro. The velcro is fine for now, but the sole is sooo hard and no arch support--very flat. He said he didn't have anything, just to buy a shoe about three sizes larger.
He told me to get up and move around an hour or two at a time and then elevate--then back up and more of the same-- to elevate when I see swelling.
Well , I have about 3 more weeks to lick this thing, and I intend to do it. We have started massaging my foot and leg, and I think that is going to help. Also, there is a business here called, 'Slender You'. It is actually a series of tables that you get on, and they move various parts of your body--legs arms, back. You apply resistance. It is supposed to be great for circulation and swelling. I am starting tomorrow!! I am going to start drinking 8 glasses of water a day, which should act as a natural diuretic. In other words, I'm getting ready to attack this problem.
I appreciate ya'll checking in on me!!! It really means so much and boosts my spirits.
I hope that both of you are doing great and making progress. WE ARE GOING TO GET THROUGH THIS!! You can be sure that I remember my heelspurs.com friends in my prayers.
Ya'll take care and keep me posted!! Love and HUgs!!!!

Laurie R on 7/10/01 at 00:27 (052608)

HI Mary and thank you so much for your up date. I do have a problem with two things your doctor told you . One is how can you walk in a shoe that is three sizes to big for you ? That makes no sence to me at all. You might fall and hurt yourself.I would not do that .

Also when your doctor told you how long it would take to recover. That is not right if he told you one thing before surgery then another after.

With your great attitude you will get through this Mary . You know we are so here for you .

Also there is no way you can teach from a chair with your feet up ... I watch my kids teachers , teaching kids is very hard.

Keep us posted Mary we are thinking about you .

My very best to you .email me anytime you would like to talk. angels1108@msn.com

Laurie R

Re: Get some foam padding in that boot !!

BrianG on 7/10/01 at 07:03 (052637)

Hi Mary,

I have worn walking boots in the past. Your Pod should be able to give you some foam to put in the boot. Mine did, it was thin, but dense. I cut it to shape, and it really helped to make the boot more comfertable. Call you Pod back and ask him for the foam.

BCG

Re: Re:Mary

Tammie on 7/10/01 at 19:26 (052708)

hello Mary,
I am so sorry that your visit did not go the way you had hoped! But all is not lost yet as I sense a fighter here lol! Ok so on with it! I cannot understand his feelings on the infection that is sad because a infection could be serious and cause a delay of proper healing I would think! But then I do not have the degree on my wall yet hehehe! As for the shoes, hmm well a interesting challenge I see, this could work you know with a little bit of a sense of humor and we can get thru it , there has to be something for your feet , Brian had a good idea about the foam, I bet you could get some from the sewing store if worse comes to worse or a old cushion,heeh you could design a going back to school shoe for the kids glue a bit of ruffle on it or glue some little buttons or gee get creative! No shoe should hold you back! As for the extended healing time I am sorry I kinda had a feeling it would be longer and then with the infection, but listen you can rise above this to! It takes time for healing of the feet as we are all learning ! We will help you thru this really just let us know how, if it means figuring out a shoe we will do it, if it means figuring out how you might teach and sit we will work on it there have been many teachers who have posted here I have seen posts before about how they used a rolling chair of sorts, why even if you had a wheel chair for the long runs, Mary chin up we are going to see you thru this! I know it sounds hopeless but if you cannot be home if there is no way for more leave then we must help you find a way to continue your job, and take care of your healing leg to! So come on everyone lets help her find ways to aleviate her fears! They have to have adapted equipment for handicaps, and well a teacher is important and it is not easy to replace one, so you need to take care of yourself mary and put u first! My mind will be in overdrive thinking about you lol! Keep the chin up,really it is not all lost ! You have lots to look forward to ! We are here for you, you know if we can help there are many willing ! Take care and rest it ! NO over doing it! Hugs to u!!!!!!