Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Used to check inabout two years ago when feet were wrose but...

Posted by sarahi on 7/09/01 at 21:58 (052601)

Greetings!

I used to check in on this board and sometimes chat with people. A lot of new names with the same problems. Anyway I though I would give you all an update not to brag, but possibly help someone through my own success.

I feel fortunate to say that my heels are relatively pain free and I am able to walk on the treadmill, take cardio kick boxing...you get the picture. But that wasn't always the case.

I found this board about 2-3 years ago when my feet were at their worst and my doctor, who diagnosed me heel spurs and plantar fascitis had given me cortisone injections, made orthodics for my shoes, and placed me in physical therapy. While that managed to bring my down on the pain scale froma about an 8 to a 3-5 on any given day, I was frustrated and sought this board for advise. I began icing my heels daily and rubbing the Dolgit? cream ordered from a link on this sight. That helped somewhat too, but still frustrated I went back to my doctor. He said that he had helped me as much as he could and said when I was ready for surgery to come and see him.

I was NOT ready for that at the age of 30 so I hired a personal trainer who had a degree in kinesology from the Univ of Michigan. Very familiar with my condition due to years playing collegiate and professional football and knowing players that suffered from the same as well as other conditions due the intense sports injuried. Anyway, he made me keep a food journal and kept my exercise very simple. When he viewed my food journal he advised my to eliminate breads and pastas from my diet. His explanation was as follows: Just like gasoline goes into a car and produces the byproduct carbon monoxide, bread and pasta goes into your body and produces lactic acid. Lactic acid is stored in muscles and tendons and causes tightening and cramping. He suggested I take it out of my diet and see if there was a change. Within three days I was walking barefoot, heel to toe, with a lot less pain. I wasn't home free, but I definitely felt like I had made significant progress.

I continued to ice my heels and also switched the type of shoes I was wearing. I found a brand of clogs called Noat made in Isreal and they feel tremendous. They are expensive, but worth it. My orthodics were not comfortable and I could never get them adjusted quite right. In my tennis shoes I pull out the insoles and replace them with Spenco full length arch supports. I buy these at Sport Mart or Galyans. They seem to do the trick. I also replace my tennis shoes often...every three months or less. Over the last two years I have been very lucky that with the help of my personal trainer, the loss of over 50 pounds, and a change in my diet I have found some success. I know that I will never be cured of this. One false move and my heels, particulary my left, will feel tender again. If I go crazy on my diet...bread pasta and the like... a soreness in my heels flares up. my trainer won't let me so step aroebic because he feels that it is too risky for my condition.

Keep in mind that I do eat carbs...I just get them from fruits and vegetables rather than bread. Occassionally I will indulge, but not too much because my heels are a constant meter and let me know when I have had too much. Anyway, I feel very lucky to have had the success I have had and hope that maybe my experience might help someone with this painful condition.

Good luck to all!

Sincerely,
Sarah

Re: I Used to check inabout two years ago when feet were wrose but...

nancy s. on 7/10/01 at 03:22 (052623)

sarah, thank you for posting this success story, and congratulations! yes, almost every name on here now must be new to you -- except possibly john h? or wendyn?
your post is so educational and can give such hope to people: is there a way you can paste it onto the Success Stories board here? that way it won't get lost and new people could easily see it. of course, i know next to nothing about computers -- i just have webtv -- so forgive me if this is an unreasonable or impossible request.
again, congratulations, and thank you for coming back to give people hope.
nancy

Julie on 7/10/01 at 06:37 (052630)

Sarah, I agree with Nancy that your excellent and very helpful and encouraging post should have a permanent home on the Success Stories board. It's easy to do. Just highlight the message, copy it, and paste it in on a new posting form on that board. Well, it's easy on my Mac - I paste by hitting 'Command v'. If you're on a PC, it will be different, but probably still easy. Do do it.

And welcome back.

Cynthia D on 7/10/01 at 06:44 (052635)

Congratulations, Sarah. It's always good to hear that the rest of us have some kind of hope. May I ask where you live in case your trainer is nearby anyone else he/she can help?

I was on the Atkins diet, no bread or pasta, no white flour, period for three months. That alone didn't do it for me, so I think a combination of what you did worked for you. Those Naot sandals are great. They almost mimic my orthotics exactly so I can wear them, too. The footbed is removable and can be replaced by your own orthotic so I think they are amazing.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your good news and helping us in the 'land of the suffering'. Please let us know about your trainer if you can. Thanks!

sarahi on 7/10/01 at 08:43 (052645)

I am glad that my post could be so helpful (sorry about the spelling mistakes in the subject heading...oops!). I live in Columbus, Ohio and my trainer is David Key of Key Body and Fitness. I feel very fortunate that I hooked up with a personal trainer who was so knowledgable. It was an expensive investment, but my feet are worth it. He really knew how to customize my weight training routine to carefully work my feet. In many ways he has been more helpful than my doctor who I haven't seen in nearly two years this August.

I feel grateful that I can walk the mall and play tennis once or twice a a week. I know that I will never be able to take up running which has made my weight loss very slow. Also, my trainer said to never ever try roller blading. I think my weight loss has had a definite impact on my feet's comfort despite the fact that my doctor said that weight is not always a factor. He claimed to have very thin people with this problem. I am sure he does, but the impact of an extra 50 - 60 pounds cannot be good. Building muscle helped to increase my metabolism and give me a greater caloric burn ultimately resulting in weight loss.

If I really have given my feet a workout I ice my heels that evening as a precautionary measure. I use the eliptical machine a lot for a higher intensity workout, but my trainer said to be careful of stairstepper machines in other gyms (he doesn't have one).

Feel free to copy and paste my post to the permanent board. I am in Grad School this summer and will be setting up my classroom soon for fall. Sorry I don't have time to explore around and do it, but just posting here has kept me away from my final project that I should be working on:)

Hang in there!

Sarah

Re: Thanks!

Cynthia D on 7/10/01 at 10:09 (052648)

I'm going to call him (hope he doesn't mind) to see if he will share any pointers, as I am a tennis player, too and can't wait to get out there again. Hoping to make the team again in Sept. Thanks a lot, and good luck with your studies.

nancy s. on 7/10/01 at 03:22 (052623)

sarah, thank you for posting this success story, and congratulations! yes, almost every name on here now must be new to you -- except possibly john h? or wendyn?
your post is so educational and can give such hope to people: is there a way you can paste it onto the Success Stories board here? that way it won't get lost and new people could easily see it. of course, i know next to nothing about computers -- i just have webtv -- so forgive me if this is an unreasonable or impossible request.
again, congratulations, and thank you for coming back to give people hope.
nancy

Julie on 7/10/01 at 06:37 (052630)

Sarah, I agree with Nancy that your excellent and very helpful and encouraging post should have a permanent home on the Success Stories board. It's easy to do. Just highlight the message, copy it, and paste it in on a new posting form on that board. Well, it's easy on my Mac - I paste by hitting 'Command v'. If you're on a PC, it will be different, but probably still easy. Do do it.

And welcome back.

Cynthia D on 7/10/01 at 06:44 (052635)

Congratulations, Sarah. It's always good to hear that the rest of us have some kind of hope. May I ask where you live in case your trainer is nearby anyone else he/she can help?

I was on the Atkins diet, no bread or pasta, no white flour, period for three months. That alone didn't do it for me, so I think a combination of what you did worked for you. Those Naot sandals are great. They almost mimic my orthotics exactly so I can wear them, too. The footbed is removable and can be replaced by your own orthotic so I think they are amazing.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your good news and helping us in the 'land of the suffering'. Please let us know about your trainer if you can. Thanks!

sarahi on 7/10/01 at 08:43 (052645)

I am glad that my post could be so helpful (sorry about the spelling mistakes in the subject heading...oops!). I live in Columbus, Ohio and my trainer is David Key of Key Body and Fitness. I feel very fortunate that I hooked up with a personal trainer who was so knowledgable. It was an expensive investment, but my feet are worth it. He really knew how to customize my weight training routine to carefully work my feet. In many ways he has been more helpful than my doctor who I haven't seen in nearly two years this August.

I feel grateful that I can walk the mall and play tennis once or twice a a week. I know that I will never be able to take up running which has made my weight loss very slow. Also, my trainer said to never ever try roller blading. I think my weight loss has had a definite impact on my feet's comfort despite the fact that my doctor said that weight is not always a factor. He claimed to have very thin people with this problem. I am sure he does, but the impact of an extra 50 - 60 pounds cannot be good. Building muscle helped to increase my metabolism and give me a greater caloric burn ultimately resulting in weight loss.

If I really have given my feet a workout I ice my heels that evening as a precautionary measure. I use the eliptical machine a lot for a higher intensity workout, but my trainer said to be careful of stairstepper machines in other gyms (he doesn't have one).

Feel free to copy and paste my post to the permanent board. I am in Grad School this summer and will be setting up my classroom soon for fall. Sorry I don't have time to explore around and do it, but just posting here has kept me away from my final project that I should be working on:)

Hang in there!

Sarah

Re: Thanks!

Cynthia D on 7/10/01 at 10:09 (052648)

I'm going to call him (hope he doesn't mind) to see if he will share any pointers, as I am a tennis player, too and can't wait to get out there again. Hoping to make the team again in Sept. Thanks a lot, and good luck with your studies.