Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TO Nancy S , how did your MRI go???????

Posted by Laurie R on 7/10/01 at 12:24 (052670)

Hi Nancy, How did your MRI go??? I hope it was ok and they told you what has been causing your pain ... I hope it was not to bad for you . You sounded very positive about it... When you have time let us know . WE are all thinking aobut you my friend . Laurie R

Re: TO Nancy S , how did your MRI go???????

nancy s. on 7/10/01 at 15:50 (052694)

thanks for asking, laurie (and to julie, for your post this morning after I'd left).
psychologically, i did better than i ever imagined at staying in the present and keeping my mind with me -- and, after several minutes, at keeping my breathing regular.

there was a really hard part, though, and don't let this scare anyone, because apparently it's an issue only with shoulder mris -- wouldn't you know! they had to stick a kind of coil under my shoulder, no big deal, but they had to put my shoulder and arm in a position that is not good. i approved it before they sent me into the tube, but within 5 minutes i was in agony, absolute agony, i exaggerate not -- i mean the worst pain i've ever experienced in my life. and i had to stay that way for 45 minutes, not moving.
to stay in that pain for that long and try to accept it but transcend it at the same time was the supreme test of my lifetime. i admit that once they rolled me out of there, i let loose in hysteria from bottling up the pain. but i did it! there was no way i was going to stop the test, only to have to start over at another time. they said my doc will have the preliminary result in 2 or 3 days.
i have spent most of the day sleeping, and still have much residual pain. i assume it will ease back to its normal just-tolerable level soon!
so that's the little story of my shoulder mri, not to be confused with any other kind of mri. i found that mentally preparing myself beforehand, focusing on my breathing, using headphones in there, and having them put a damp cloth over my eyes and forehead made the claustrophobia problem, well, not a true problem.

laurie and wendy, i just read your posts about the kind of day you're having, and i am sorry -- i hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

nancy

Re: TO Nancy S YOU MADE IT YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie R on 7/10/01 at 16:01 (052696)

Hi Nancy , even though I am having a bad day , I was so thinking about you . I am so happy it is all over for you . That is the best part the end. Also you hang in there and did it. I know you are in a lot of pain ,but you have to be happy about going through this and sticking it out. That along is hard to do sometimes...I am very proud of you . I can't get my emails right now that is why I asked you on the board. thank you for replying to me here.

My best to you Nancy , much love my friend ,Laurie

Re: To Nancy and Laurie

Beverly on 7/10/01 at 21:23 (052725)

Nancy,

Just a short note to say I'm rooting for you. Keep us posted what you find out.

Laurie, I'm glad someone else can't access her email. At least I'm not the only one who is 'geek challenged.' My email is completely messed up... does not know it's own password. By the time I
get it straightened out, I will probably have thousands of messages and 99.5% will be spam!
See ya,
Beverly

Re: TO Nancy S , Congratulations!

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:49 (052770)

Good morning, Nancy. (I'll bet you're up and about and maybe even reading the board - I guess it's almost 4am your time.)

I'm so proud of you. I can't imagine what getting through that ordeal must have been like: it sounds absolutely horrendous. But you did it. Well done. Congratulations.

I hope the results come soon. Let us know.

Lots of love, Julie

Re: TO Nancy S, It's over

Andrea R. on 7/11/01 at 06:33 (052774)

Nancy,

Glad to hear you survived the MRI. Let us know the results when you get them.

Hoping for good news for you.

Andrea

Tammie on 7/11/01 at 09:40 (052786)

I am glad it is over for you! I hope that the results are good and that you get a break from all the bad things happening to you! I think it is great that thru all this you find time and humor to keep pushing on !!! We will keep the posititve thoughts going for you and of course the prayers! Take care!

Necee on 7/11/01 at 14:47 (052841)

Best of Luck to you Nancy,
Thinking of you, and wishing you well.
hang in there and keep your chin up, ok
Your friend,
Necee

Re: TO Nancy S - Congrats on making it

Cynthia D on 7/13/01 at 08:04 (053025)

Nancy, I'm so proud of you, too. When I read you had to stay that way for 45 minutes, my heart went out to you. And were you not able to take any Tylenol #3 in advance, would that have skewered the results? I hope they get some results that will help to cure your pain.

I have a confession to make. I chickened out of my mri, it was going to be from the lower back to my feet. I know if this pain continues, I should get it, but I thought that since there seems to be no cure for nerve damage, what's the point? Am I wrong? Also, I don't suspect nerve damage, as my pain is all pf-type.

My hat is off to you and my thoughts will be with you today. Congratulations for making it through successfully.

nancy s. on 7/13/01 at 12:26 (053043)

thanks very much, cynthia! my mri report is in and my doc is calling me this afternoon....and i will post about it.
if you doubt that your pain is nerve pain, why not get the mri? i know: because it isn't fun! but really, except for my freak shoulder pain, it wasn't that bad an experience. i think you should go for it if your pain is mysterious. there's my two cents -- easy to hand out when I don't have to do it again myself!
take care,
nancy

Cynthia D on 7/13/01 at 13:56 (053051)

Hi, I'll look forward to your results when I get back in later. Dumb question, but doesn't an mri scan for nerve damage or entrapped nerves? I thought nerve pain was shooting up your legs, inside ankle, etc. My pain is sometimes in my lower back and always in my feet (both), sometimes in my inner ankle (left only). Never any shooting-type pains, mostly stabbing, hot, ripping, swollen, aching and just sore.

If my orthopedist suspected nerve entrapement from my spine causing foot pain, wouldn't it be a shooting type pain?

Thanks for your time, I guess I should really look into this more and see just what he would be looking for. I was too afraid to find out, so I've been ignoring it (still in pain). Thanks for your help, guess that's why we're all here.

I hope you get to the bottom (or top of) your shoulder pain today. Take care,

Julie on 7/13/01 at 15:25 (053055)

I believe an MRI shows up all sorts of things that are going on in the soft tissues of the body - i.e. things that don't show up in x-rays, which only show the skeleton.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 06:06 (053107)

hi all, the mri showed no tear! i'm thrilled that surgery is now out of the picture.
it's 'only' frozen shoulder -- bad enough, but better than a tear. so i'm feeling grateful. yesterday i started a 'gentle yoga' class for people with infirmities, and it was Great! (julie, i'll write you more about this.) i think it's going to help mentally as much as physically.

cynthia, maybe WENDY can step in here and help you with nerve questions -- i know she's researched it a lot. from what i've read from posters here, nerve problems show up in a variety of ways: burning, tingling, painful numbness; i don't think it's always a shooting type of pain. but i'm no expert and could be wrong, so hopefully other input will help you. did your doc want you to get the mri and you chickened out? an mri can tell a lot about what's going on in all sorts of tissue, as julie says -- so if you're stuck and without a definitive diagnosis, i'd say go for the mri.
nancy

Re: "I feel like a 'heel'"!!

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 08:44 (053113)

Oh Nancy, I'm so glad you got the results you were hoping for, no tear! I just hope that you can get your shoulder back to normal again through more gentler ways like the therapy and yoga. My sister had rotator cuff damage a few years back and she worked on it herself instead of surgery and now for the most part it is better. Just give it time.

Now about the 'heel' part!! When I tend to avoid an issue (like a medical test or the dentist), I can conveniently 'forget' appointments or 'forget' names of tests. I don't mean by impolitely not showing up. I honestly start out my day with appointments checked off and can just plain forget them until later.

My doctor had in fact ordered an EMG nerve condunction test that I chickened out of. I have never had an MRI or had one ordered. Wouldn't it make sense to get an MRI first to rule out any other type of soft tissue damage before doing the more painful EMG? My guess is that they think it's not soft tissue damage because it would have healed by now. What do you guys think? Thanks for 'spurring' my questions along by relplying.

Again, I'm so happy to hear your good news and wish you all the best for a full recovery of your shoulder and your feet as well.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 09:12 (053116)

First of all, Nancy, I'm so happy to hear that there's no tear! Good for you on the yoga class, too--I'm thinking about trying to get into one of those in September--there are several around here but they tend to fill up fast!

Cynthia--

I had an EMG done about two years ago. It was when I first got the PF in my right foot and had started PT. I didn't know what to expect, but I don't recall it being too bad (though it turned out that I had what the doc called 'the best nerves I've seen all year' so maybe that's why, I don't know). It was interesting, when I managed to detach myself from the process enough to observe it--which is tricky because the external nerve stimulation causes your reflexes to react without you really being aware of it beforehand, so you're suddenly kicking or flexing from completely out of the blue.

I don't remember it being painful, though. Not comfortable, just from the standpoint that there are little jabs or zaps that make you react, but not painful--though again, this may have been because I had no nerve damage. I don't know if this is helpful for you at all, but I thought I'd give you my experience.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 09:45 (053119)

thanks nancy and cynthia! my mind is very relieved, even if my shoulder isn't....

cynthia, wendy has had a couple of nerve conduction tests, i think, and she wrote about them in her FAQ on the tarsal tunnel board -- her FAQ is highlighted in blue toward the top of that board, so you can just click on it. if you scroll kind of far down the FAQ you can read her description. of course i don't know if this will spur you on to follow doctor's orders or not! but i do recall wendy saying that she didn't find it painful either, just a little uncomfortable or something. i feel i must do my duty and encourage you to go through with the test if it makes sense to do so -- even though i myself think of all kinds of reasons to miss a dentist's appointment (for example). nowadays it isn't so much dental pain i'm trying to avoid, but the alien/spaceship atmosphere in the office: everything is white, the people are all dressed in white, and they all of course are wearing gloves and masks, and to me it's downright spooky! but i digress.
take care,
nancy

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 09:51 (053120)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the FAQ. I'm so glad to hear your experiences, Nancy N, that helps a lot. You must have had great relief to have the greatest nerves in the universe! Maybe that's what will propell you into a successful career in London!

Nancy S, I'll read that page about Wendy. Thanks for the head's up. And where on earth do you work? I must have missed something?

JudyS on 7/14/01 at 11:01 (053126)

Well well well.......no, I mean it- you're well! At least to some degree - hurray! That news couldn't have been better Nancy and I can only imagine how elated you must feel. Good for you!
Will you tell us more about the Yoga class you've chosen?

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 11:05 (053128)

hmmmm....i'm trying to think what makes you believe you might have missed something?...
i had my own antiques business. had to put it on hold to rest from nasty PF, which struck in may '99. started it back up again and was immediately knocked down by several tendonitises in both feet. started it back up again this spring and the shoulder started screaming. i'm thinking the enterprise is doomed. but i hope not.
what work shall i try that is kind both to feet and to shoulders? i'm considering becoming a statue in the park, one that is lying prone!
nancy

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 11:24 (053130)

well, judy, the class is at a place called whole heart yoga in portland, and it literally is named 'Gentle.' we sat on cushions in chairs with our feet on cushions on the floor. breathing and physical movements took place in that position for about half an hour; then gentle movements while standing, for about 15 minutes; then gentle movements on the floor, for about 15 minutes. all guided very well by a woman who has been a yoga teacher for 7 years and before that did therapeutic massage for 12 years. she is very attuned to people with limitations and gives individual guidance according to what you can and cannot do. some of it is very meditative. by the end i felt like i'd moved most everything (except for the frozen parts of course).
at the beginning the teacher spoke about anger and feelings of betrayal when you've been ill or your physical self has been causing you a lot of pain. this brought me to tears. but by the end i felt very peaceful.
i was amazed at how good this could be for people whose foot problems are still acute; most of the work was done while sitting on cushion in chair or while sitting or lying on floor. if you can find a similar type of yoga class, i highly recommend it.
nancy
p.s. judy, i still need another hint.

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 11:57 (053135)

Hi, Nancy, me again. I thought when you said the office is all white, you meant your office, and you actually mean't the dentists' offices!! Egg on my face again today! Yes, I remember very well about your antiques business and how sad I was when you had to close it. I just read too fast about everything in the office being white!!

The world is moving just too too fast. We are having a garden tour today, about 100 people roaming the property touring so I'm in and out greeting visitors, taking care of three kids, including a 1 y.o., cleaning house, making lunch for everyone, etc., so I just read your message too fast and ran out the door. I'll pay more attention next time.

I know what you mean about the statue in the park, maybe I'll join you? I have a yoga teacher who lets me do the entire hour sitting on the floor or a bolster, yes, you can get a lot done on the floor. Take care,

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 12:35 (053137)

garden tour,cynthia? do you live in a historical house?

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 14:00 (053148)

Back inside now, it's starting to rain, anyway. No, it's a modern house, but we raise Koi fish as a hobby. We are on a water garden tour today of properties with fish ponds. I just walked through two other gardens, that's all my feet are good for! What a glorious day it was weather-wise!

Re: Nancy's yoga class

Julie on 7/14/01 at 15:02 (053156)

Nancy, I'm glad you've found a yoga class: it sounds just right, and the teacher sounds very good. I'm particularly impressed that she acknowledges and encourages her students to acknowledge the emotions that come with physical pain.

I had to smile when I read your post about it, because I've just come home from giving a day workshop at the Cancer Resource Centre to a group of people who are mostly undergoing treatment for cancer. I worked with them in exactly the same way: lots of work in chairs, a little standing, and floor work plus relaxation.

I've always taught groups with special needs like this: in the past, (very) old people and people with mental health problems; more recently people with cancer. It's a safe and effective way of teaching and practising. I'm glad you enjoyed your first class. I'm sure that it will indeed help you as much mentally as physically, if not more so. Do keep us posted.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 15:16 (053158)

thanks, julie! i want you to know that my teacher's approach reminded me of you, and that's the main reason i chose that class. i was going to tell you all about it by email, but i'm glad to share it with others here. (email to arrive soon anyway!)
nancy

Julie on 7/14/01 at 15:21 (053161)

Good! I am looking forward to that e-mail and please do tell me lots more about the class.

Well, it's coming on for night here, and I'm off to bed. It's been a busy day. Speak tomorrow.

Good night everyone!

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 19:48 (053201)

So I have to have nerves of steel to move to London, eh? The physical ones may be OK, but I am not always sure about the mental ones! :)

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:10 (053202)

Of course you can do it, Nancy N!! And how about that job I found for you in France? Starts in September?

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 21:18 (053215)

I emailed you about that one--it sounds good, too, but that would only give me six weeks to take care of all the logistics. It would have to be next year at the earliest--but keep me posted if you hear anything in a few months. I might just be interested :)

Re: Nerves of steel?

Julie on 7/15/01 at 03:01 (053228)

Nancy, did I miss something? What's all this about needing nerves of steel to live in London?

Nancy N on 7/15/01 at 13:03 (053253)

Julie--

I think Cynthia is just teasing me (or maybe she knows something I don't?)! But regardless, nerves of steel or not, I'm still planning to give it a go one of these days! :)

Re: TO Nancy S , how did your MRI go???????

nancy s. on 7/10/01 at 15:50 (052694)

thanks for asking, laurie (and to julie, for your post this morning after I'd left).
psychologically, i did better than i ever imagined at staying in the present and keeping my mind with me -- and, after several minutes, at keeping my breathing regular.

there was a really hard part, though, and don't let this scare anyone, because apparently it's an issue only with shoulder mris -- wouldn't you know! they had to stick a kind of coil under my shoulder, no big deal, but they had to put my shoulder and arm in a position that is not good. i approved it before they sent me into the tube, but within 5 minutes i was in agony, absolute agony, i exaggerate not -- i mean the worst pain i've ever experienced in my life. and i had to stay that way for 45 minutes, not moving.
to stay in that pain for that long and try to accept it but transcend it at the same time was the supreme test of my lifetime. i admit that once they rolled me out of there, i let loose in hysteria from bottling up the pain. but i did it! there was no way i was going to stop the test, only to have to start over at another time. they said my doc will have the preliminary result in 2 or 3 days.
i have spent most of the day sleeping, and still have much residual pain. i assume it will ease back to its normal just-tolerable level soon!
so that's the little story of my shoulder mri, not to be confused with any other kind of mri. i found that mentally preparing myself beforehand, focusing on my breathing, using headphones in there, and having them put a damp cloth over my eyes and forehead made the claustrophobia problem, well, not a true problem.

laurie and wendy, i just read your posts about the kind of day you're having, and i am sorry -- i hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

nancy

Re: TO Nancy S YOU MADE IT YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie R on 7/10/01 at 16:01 (052696)

Hi Nancy , even though I am having a bad day , I was so thinking about you . I am so happy it is all over for you . That is the best part the end. Also you hang in there and did it. I know you are in a lot of pain ,but you have to be happy about going through this and sticking it out. That along is hard to do sometimes...I am very proud of you . I can't get my emails right now that is why I asked you on the board. thank you for replying to me here.

My best to you Nancy , much love my friend ,Laurie

Re: To Nancy and Laurie

Beverly on 7/10/01 at 21:23 (052725)

Nancy,

Just a short note to say I'm rooting for you. Keep us posted what you find out.

Laurie, I'm glad someone else can't access her email. At least I'm not the only one who is 'geek challenged.' My email is completely messed up... does not know it's own password. By the time I
get it straightened out, I will probably have thousands of messages and 99.5% will be spam!
See ya,
Beverly

Re: TO Nancy S , Congratulations!

Julie on 7/11/01 at 03:49 (052770)

Good morning, Nancy. (I'll bet you're up and about and maybe even reading the board - I guess it's almost 4am your time.)

I'm so proud of you. I can't imagine what getting through that ordeal must have been like: it sounds absolutely horrendous. But you did it. Well done. Congratulations.

I hope the results come soon. Let us know.

Lots of love, Julie

Andrea R. on 7/11/01 at 06:33 (052774)

Nancy,

Glad to hear you survived the MRI. Let us know the results when you get them.

Hoping for good news for you.

Andrea

Tammie on 7/11/01 at 09:40 (052786)

I am glad it is over for you! I hope that the results are good and that you get a break from all the bad things happening to you! I think it is great that thru all this you find time and humor to keep pushing on !!! We will keep the posititve thoughts going for you and of course the prayers! Take care!

Necee on 7/11/01 at 14:47 (052841)

Best of Luck to you Nancy,
Thinking of you, and wishing you well.
hang in there and keep your chin up, ok
Your friend,
Necee

Cynthia D on 7/13/01 at 08:04 (053025)

Nancy, I'm so proud of you, too. When I read you had to stay that way for 45 minutes, my heart went out to you. And were you not able to take any Tylenol #3 in advance, would that have skewered the results? I hope they get some results that will help to cure your pain.

I have a confession to make. I chickened out of my mri, it was going to be from the lower back to my feet. I know if this pain continues, I should get it, but I thought that since there seems to be no cure for nerve damage, what's the point? Am I wrong? Also, I don't suspect nerve damage, as my pain is all pf-type.

My hat is off to you and my thoughts will be with you today. Congratulations for making it through successfully.

nancy s. on 7/13/01 at 12:26 (053043)

thanks very much, cynthia! my mri report is in and my doc is calling me this afternoon....and i will post about it.
if you doubt that your pain is nerve pain, why not get the mri? i know: because it isn't fun! but really, except for my freak shoulder pain, it wasn't that bad an experience. i think you should go for it if your pain is mysterious. there's my two cents -- easy to hand out when I don't have to do it again myself!
take care,
nancy

Cynthia D on 7/13/01 at 13:56 (053051)

Hi, I'll look forward to your results when I get back in later. Dumb question, but doesn't an mri scan for nerve damage or entrapped nerves? I thought nerve pain was shooting up your legs, inside ankle, etc. My pain is sometimes in my lower back and always in my feet (both), sometimes in my inner ankle (left only). Never any shooting-type pains, mostly stabbing, hot, ripping, swollen, aching and just sore.

If my orthopedist suspected nerve entrapement from my spine causing foot pain, wouldn't it be a shooting type pain?

Thanks for your time, I guess I should really look into this more and see just what he would be looking for. I was too afraid to find out, so I've been ignoring it (still in pain). Thanks for your help, guess that's why we're all here.

I hope you get to the bottom (or top of) your shoulder pain today. Take care,

Julie on 7/13/01 at 15:25 (053055)

I believe an MRI shows up all sorts of things that are going on in the soft tissues of the body - i.e. things that don't show up in x-rays, which only show the skeleton.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 06:06 (053107)

hi all, the mri showed no tear! i'm thrilled that surgery is now out of the picture.
it's 'only' frozen shoulder -- bad enough, but better than a tear. so i'm feeling grateful. yesterday i started a 'gentle yoga' class for people with infirmities, and it was Great! (julie, i'll write you more about this.) i think it's going to help mentally as much as physically.

cynthia, maybe WENDY can step in here and help you with nerve questions -- i know she's researched it a lot. from what i've read from posters here, nerve problems show up in a variety of ways: burning, tingling, painful numbness; i don't think it's always a shooting type of pain. but i'm no expert and could be wrong, so hopefully other input will help you. did your doc want you to get the mri and you chickened out? an mri can tell a lot about what's going on in all sorts of tissue, as julie says -- so if you're stuck and without a definitive diagnosis, i'd say go for the mri.
nancy

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 08:44 (053113)

Oh Nancy, I'm so glad you got the results you were hoping for, no tear! I just hope that you can get your shoulder back to normal again through more gentler ways like the therapy and yoga. My sister had rotator cuff damage a few years back and she worked on it herself instead of surgery and now for the most part it is better. Just give it time.

Now about the 'heel' part!! When I tend to avoid an issue (like a medical test or the dentist), I can conveniently 'forget' appointments or 'forget' names of tests. I don't mean by impolitely not showing up. I honestly start out my day with appointments checked off and can just plain forget them until later.

My doctor had in fact ordered an EMG nerve condunction test that I chickened out of. I have never had an MRI or had one ordered. Wouldn't it make sense to get an MRI first to rule out any other type of soft tissue damage before doing the more painful EMG? My guess is that they think it's not soft tissue damage because it would have healed by now. What do you guys think? Thanks for 'spurring' my questions along by relplying.

Again, I'm so happy to hear your good news and wish you all the best for a full recovery of your shoulder and your feet as well.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 09:12 (053116)

First of all, Nancy, I'm so happy to hear that there's no tear! Good for you on the yoga class, too--I'm thinking about trying to get into one of those in September--there are several around here but they tend to fill up fast!

Cynthia--

I had an EMG done about two years ago. It was when I first got the PF in my right foot and had started PT. I didn't know what to expect, but I don't recall it being too bad (though it turned out that I had what the doc called 'the best nerves I've seen all year' so maybe that's why, I don't know). It was interesting, when I managed to detach myself from the process enough to observe it--which is tricky because the external nerve stimulation causes your reflexes to react without you really being aware of it beforehand, so you're suddenly kicking or flexing from completely out of the blue.

I don't remember it being painful, though. Not comfortable, just from the standpoint that there are little jabs or zaps that make you react, but not painful--though again, this may have been because I had no nerve damage. I don't know if this is helpful for you at all, but I thought I'd give you my experience.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 09:45 (053119)

thanks nancy and cynthia! my mind is very relieved, even if my shoulder isn't....

cynthia, wendy has had a couple of nerve conduction tests, i think, and she wrote about them in her FAQ on the tarsal tunnel board -- her FAQ is highlighted in blue toward the top of that board, so you can just click on it. if you scroll kind of far down the FAQ you can read her description. of course i don't know if this will spur you on to follow doctor's orders or not! but i do recall wendy saying that she didn't find it painful either, just a little uncomfortable or something. i feel i must do my duty and encourage you to go through with the test if it makes sense to do so -- even though i myself think of all kinds of reasons to miss a dentist's appointment (for example). nowadays it isn't so much dental pain i'm trying to avoid, but the alien/spaceship atmosphere in the office: everything is white, the people are all dressed in white, and they all of course are wearing gloves and masks, and to me it's downright spooky! but i digress.
take care,
nancy

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 09:51 (053120)

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the FAQ. I'm so glad to hear your experiences, Nancy N, that helps a lot. You must have had great relief to have the greatest nerves in the universe! Maybe that's what will propell you into a successful career in London!

Nancy S, I'll read that page about Wendy. Thanks for the head's up. And where on earth do you work? I must have missed something?

JudyS on 7/14/01 at 11:01 (053126)

Well well well.......no, I mean it- you're well! At least to some degree - hurray! That news couldn't have been better Nancy and I can only imagine how elated you must feel. Good for you!
Will you tell us more about the Yoga class you've chosen?

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 11:05 (053128)

hmmmm....i'm trying to think what makes you believe you might have missed something?...
i had my own antiques business. had to put it on hold to rest from nasty PF, which struck in may '99. started it back up again and was immediately knocked down by several tendonitises in both feet. started it back up again this spring and the shoulder started screaming. i'm thinking the enterprise is doomed. but i hope not.
what work shall i try that is kind both to feet and to shoulders? i'm considering becoming a statue in the park, one that is lying prone!
nancy

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 11:24 (053130)

well, judy, the class is at a place called whole heart yoga in portland, and it literally is named 'Gentle.' we sat on cushions in chairs with our feet on cushions on the floor. breathing and physical movements took place in that position for about half an hour; then gentle movements while standing, for about 15 minutes; then gentle movements on the floor, for about 15 minutes. all guided very well by a woman who has been a yoga teacher for 7 years and before that did therapeutic massage for 12 years. she is very attuned to people with limitations and gives individual guidance according to what you can and cannot do. some of it is very meditative. by the end i felt like i'd moved most everything (except for the frozen parts of course).
at the beginning the teacher spoke about anger and feelings of betrayal when you've been ill or your physical self has been causing you a lot of pain. this brought me to tears. but by the end i felt very peaceful.
i was amazed at how good this could be for people whose foot problems are still acute; most of the work was done while sitting on cushion in chair or while sitting or lying on floor. if you can find a similar type of yoga class, i highly recommend it.
nancy
p.s. judy, i still need another hint.

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 11:57 (053135)

Hi, Nancy, me again. I thought when you said the office is all white, you meant your office, and you actually mean't the dentists' offices!! Egg on my face again today! Yes, I remember very well about your antiques business and how sad I was when you had to close it. I just read too fast about everything in the office being white!!

The world is moving just too too fast. We are having a garden tour today, about 100 people roaming the property touring so I'm in and out greeting visitors, taking care of three kids, including a 1 y.o., cleaning house, making lunch for everyone, etc., so I just read your message too fast and ran out the door. I'll pay more attention next time.

I know what you mean about the statue in the park, maybe I'll join you? I have a yoga teacher who lets me do the entire hour sitting on the floor or a bolster, yes, you can get a lot done on the floor. Take care,

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 12:35 (053137)

garden tour,cynthia? do you live in a historical house?

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 14:00 (053148)

Back inside now, it's starting to rain, anyway. No, it's a modern house, but we raise Koi fish as a hobby. We are on a water garden tour today of properties with fish ponds. I just walked through two other gardens, that's all my feet are good for! What a glorious day it was weather-wise!

Julie on 7/14/01 at 15:02 (053156)

Nancy, I'm glad you've found a yoga class: it sounds just right, and the teacher sounds very good. I'm particularly impressed that she acknowledges and encourages her students to acknowledge the emotions that come with physical pain.

I had to smile when I read your post about it, because I've just come home from giving a day workshop at the Cancer Resource Centre to a group of people who are mostly undergoing treatment for cancer. I worked with them in exactly the same way: lots of work in chairs, a little standing, and floor work plus relaxation.

I've always taught groups with special needs like this: in the past, (very) old people and people with mental health problems; more recently people with cancer. It's a safe and effective way of teaching and practising. I'm glad you enjoyed your first class. I'm sure that it will indeed help you as much mentally as physically, if not more so. Do keep us posted.

nancy s. on 7/14/01 at 15:16 (053158)

thanks, julie! i want you to know that my teacher's approach reminded me of you, and that's the main reason i chose that class. i was going to tell you all about it by email, but i'm glad to share it with others here. (email to arrive soon anyway!)
nancy

Julie on 7/14/01 at 15:21 (053161)

Good! I am looking forward to that e-mail and please do tell me lots more about the class.

Well, it's coming on for night here, and I'm off to bed. It's been a busy day. Speak tomorrow.

Good night everyone!

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 19:48 (053201)

So I have to have nerves of steel to move to London, eh? The physical ones may be OK, but I am not always sure about the mental ones! :)

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:10 (053202)

Of course you can do it, Nancy N!! And how about that job I found for you in France? Starts in September?

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 21:18 (053215)

I emailed you about that one--it sounds good, too, but that would only give me six weeks to take care of all the logistics. It would have to be next year at the earliest--but keep me posted if you hear anything in a few months. I might just be interested :)

Julie on 7/15/01 at 03:01 (053228)

Nancy, did I miss something? What's all this about needing nerves of steel to live in London?

Nancy N on 7/15/01 at 13:03 (053253)

Julie--

I think Cynthia is just teasing me (or maybe she knows something I don't?)! But regardless, nerves of steel or not, I'm still planning to give it a go one of these days! :)