Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

fibromyalgia and plantar fasciitis

Posted by Scott R on 7/10/01 at 20:25 (052717)

TI - Fibromyalgia. Part II. Prevalence in the podiatric patient population.
AU - Harvey CK
SO - J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 1993 Jul;83(7):416-7

This study was designed to determine the prevalence of fibromyalgia in the podiatric patient population. A total of 355 consecutive patients in a podiatric outpatient clinic were evaluated to determine whether they met the criteria for this condition. Eight of the 355 patients were diagnosed with the condition. Thirty-five of 355 patients presented with plantar heel or arch pain. Seven of these 35 patients satisfied the criteria for fibromyalgia. This small study indicates that fibromyalgia may be more prevalent in podiatric patients than previously realized and must be considered in patients presenting with foot pain, especially if that pain is in the area of the plantar aspect of the heel or arch. [MEDLINE]

Re: WOW...

Carmen H on 7/11/01 at 13:21 (052825)

I went to the bookstore just three days ago looking up Fibromygalia as a cause for my foot pain. This is helpful information. How is Fibromygalia tested do you know?

RalphP on 7/11/01 at 20:32 (052875)

Thanks to Scott for posting the abstract on FM and PF.

FM's complicated, but the classic hallmarks:

--Chronic pain in about 12 specific bilateral parts of the body
--Morning stiffness
--Fatigue and brain fag
--Hypersensitivity to weather, noise, stress
--Dysregulation of the autonomous nervous system

Different practitioners use different diagnostic criteria. But if that sounds like you, good chance you have it.

Ralph

Carmen H on 7/11/01 at 13:21 (052825)

I went to the bookstore just three days ago looking up Fibromygalia as a cause for my foot pain. This is helpful information. How is Fibromygalia tested do you know?

RalphP on 7/11/01 at 20:32 (052875)

Thanks to Scott for posting the abstract on FM and PF.

FM's complicated, but the classic hallmarks:

--Chronic pain in about 12 specific bilateral parts of the body
--Morning stiffness
--Fatigue and brain fag
--Hypersensitivity to weather, noise, stress
--Dysregulation of the autonomous nervous system

Different practitioners use different diagnostic criteria. But if that sounds like you, good chance you have it.

Ralph