Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: Using someone elses custom orthodics

Posted by Necee (aka-Denise D. on 7/11/01 at 12:47 (052817)

I have a cousin who like me has a heelspur, he has had the same treatment as I, (shots, taping,Rx, etc). Nothing seemed to be helping him so his brother-in-law gave him his old custom orthodics to wear, I saw him last weekend and he said the orthodics are helping.
My question is how can that be? He said he can really tell a difference,walking without pain is something he hasn't been able to do for a long time. Before he used the old orthodics he also told me that it made a difference as to what kind of chair he sat in, if he sat in his recliner and then got up to walk he could barely do it, but on the other hand, if he sat in say an upright chair like a dining room chair then got up he could walk just fine with no pain.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, I don't have any answers for him. He also wants me to try the old orthodics when he's through with them.
I'm really not to keen about that idea, I know everyones feet are different and would be afraid of causing more damage.
Thanks,
Necee (aka Denise D.)

wendyn on 7/11/01 at 13:27 (052829)

I suppose it's possible that someone else's old orthotics could help - if you had the same foot size and shape. It would really be hit and miss I'd think. If you try on glasses that belong to someone else - you may find they help a bit - but you may also find that they completely blind you.

Personally, I would try an over the counter brand that was my foot size before I would try custom ones that were designed for a completely different person.

Nancy N on 7/11/01 at 14:14 (052838)

Denise--

I agree with Wendy. Customs are made from a mold of a specific foot, so the odds that someone else's would work for you are pretty slim--and if they didn't, they could cause more problems. For instance, if the orthotics aren't the same size as your feet, you could end up with the arch support digging into the wrong area of your foot and aggravating things. I'd try some other things first. (And if they really do work for this guy, he should keep wearing them--you don't want to suddenly decide that you're 'cured' and then ditch everything that got you there. So he shouldn't be giving them to you anyhow.)

I would guess that the difference between the recliner and the regular chair has to do with the position of the feet while in the chair. If he was actually sitting back with his feet propped up in the recliner, with his feet in a relaxed position, the muscles in his feet would have contracted and then been stretched when he stood up. But if he sat in a regular chair with his feet on the floor, they would not have contracted, and hence would not have stretched as much when standing up. This is the same principle that the night splint works on.

Just my two cents...

ellen w on 7/11/01 at 14:46 (052840)

I know this is off topic, but you made me think of my mom's former neighbor who used to, to put it delicately, imbibe a little too much. My mother once went out to lunch with her and was totally embarassed when this woman stood up and went from table to table, borrowing other customer's glasses, till she found a pair she could use to read the menu with! Maybe given all the unused orthodics people claim to have lying about, we could start an orthodics exchange program. (just kidding.)
ellen

Necee aka Denise D. on 7/11/01 at 14:55 (052843)

Oh Ellen, that's so funny!!!
I appreciate all the feedback, my thoughts exactly, just wanted a little more imput.
You all are the best
Thanks
Necee

ellen w on 7/11/01 at 19:56 (052873)

The amazing thing was that people actually gave this woman their glasses and let her try them on.
ellen

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:17 (052914)

They were probably too astounded to refuse.

wendyn on 7/11/01 at 13:27 (052829)

I suppose it's possible that someone else's old orthotics could help - if you had the same foot size and shape. It would really be hit and miss I'd think. If you try on glasses that belong to someone else - you may find they help a bit - but you may also find that they completely blind you.

Personally, I would try an over the counter brand that was my foot size before I would try custom ones that were designed for a completely different person.

Nancy N on 7/11/01 at 14:14 (052838)

Denise--

I agree with Wendy. Customs are made from a mold of a specific foot, so the odds that someone else's would work for you are pretty slim--and if they didn't, they could cause more problems. For instance, if the orthotics aren't the same size as your feet, you could end up with the arch support digging into the wrong area of your foot and aggravating things. I'd try some other things first. (And if they really do work for this guy, he should keep wearing them--you don't want to suddenly decide that you're 'cured' and then ditch everything that got you there. So he shouldn't be giving them to you anyhow.)

I would guess that the difference between the recliner and the regular chair has to do with the position of the feet while in the chair. If he was actually sitting back with his feet propped up in the recliner, with his feet in a relaxed position, the muscles in his feet would have contracted and then been stretched when he stood up. But if he sat in a regular chair with his feet on the floor, they would not have contracted, and hence would not have stretched as much when standing up. This is the same principle that the night splint works on.

Just my two cents...

ellen w on 7/11/01 at 14:46 (052840)

I know this is off topic, but you made me think of my mom's former neighbor who used to, to put it delicately, imbibe a little too much. My mother once went out to lunch with her and was totally embarassed when this woman stood up and went from table to table, borrowing other customer's glasses, till she found a pair she could use to read the menu with! Maybe given all the unused orthodics people claim to have lying about, we could start an orthodics exchange program. (just kidding.)
ellen

Necee aka Denise D. on 7/11/01 at 14:55 (052843)

Oh Ellen, that's so funny!!!
I appreciate all the feedback, my thoughts exactly, just wanted a little more imput.
You all are the best
Thanks
Necee

ellen w on 7/11/01 at 19:56 (052873)

The amazing thing was that people actually gave this woman their glasses and let her try them on.
ellen

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:17 (052914)

They were probably too astounded to refuse.