Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help I cant stand the pain anymore

Posted by Karma M on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052877)

I have had six coritsone shots in three months my doctor sent me for physical therapy that made it worse....my big toe and the one next to it are completely numb and by the time i get home from work i can hardly walk And the pain keeps me awake at night....I dont know what to do about surgary everyone seems to say it dosent work......

Re: Help I cant stand the pain anymore

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 21:39 (052890)

Thats not the typical area for TTS to be painful. Do you get shooting, burning, numbness, etc of the bottom of those toes or the top?

Karma on 7/11/01 at 21:43 (052892)

my entire big to is numb may pain is all in the botom of my heal and i have just notice a couple of days ago the my 2 toe feels numb

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 23:18 (052897)

Have you had any confirming tests: MRI or EMG/NCV?

karma on 7/12/01 at 17:54 (052976)

no just keeps putting me off with different meds and my foot continues to hurt to the point where I cant stand it any more.....

cindyp on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052981)

Then my suggestion (whichmeans nothing i know) isto find another dr. One that will listen to you.

Julie on 7/13/01 at 01:32 (053004)

Your suggestion means a lot, Cindy - it's mine too. Karma, see my post on your other thread about your back.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at 23:43 (053091)

I agree.

Jeff on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053162)

Karma,
You could have a selective entrapement of the medial branch of the posterior tibial nerve. That would certainly cause the symptoms that you describe. Let's try a test called a tinel's sign and see if we can't help figure out your symptoms.
Let's assume that your painful foot is the right one. Sit in a chair and cross your leg so that your right foot is on your left knee, inside of the ankle facing up. The posterior tibial nerve travels from the leg to the foot just behind the inside ankle bone (called the medial malleolus) Use your two fingers to tap or percuss the area around the ankle bone to the heel. Do you get tingles to the toes? If so, you have TTS.
MRI, not going to show you all that much. Many doctors will profess that TTS is caused by soft tissue tumors creating compression in the tarsal canal. Not very common. Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCV) are only 50% accurate. I hope I'm not bumming you out here, but there's really not an accurate test for TTS. It's a clinical diagnosis. Talk to your family Dr. to find someone with some experience with TTS. You can also find more info on TTS at http://www.myfootshop.com .
Jeff

Diana J on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054847)

I had the same symptoms and my doc said the same thing as Jeff. If something is there the tests might show it, but just because they don't doesn't mean there isn't a problem. You need to find a good foot surgeon and have it checked out. Keeping the foot up and icing it may help some. I had surgery two weeks ago and am hoping that it will help. I do have some feeling back in my toes. He said it could be as long as nine months though because I didn't do anything about it for about 18 months. The longer you wait the worse it can get. My nerve was basically shaped like an hourglass apparently. It was so deformed he thought there might be a tumor, but there wasn't. So ,needless to say, it will take a while for it to heal and for me to get used to it again. Hang in there and go to the doctor. As women, we sometime forget that our pain is sometimes real!!

DianaJ on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054848)

Ditto on getting a new doc. If you are in San Jose area I know a good one.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 21:39 (052890)

Thats not the typical area for TTS to be painful. Do you get shooting, burning, numbness, etc of the bottom of those toes or the top?

Karma on 7/11/01 at 21:43 (052892)

my entire big to is numb may pain is all in the botom of my heal and i have just notice a couple of days ago the my 2 toe feels numb

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/11/01 at 23:18 (052897)

Have you had any confirming tests: MRI or EMG/NCV?

karma on 7/12/01 at 17:54 (052976)

no just keeps putting me off with different meds and my foot continues to hurt to the point where I cant stand it any more.....

cindyp on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052981)

Then my suggestion (whichmeans nothing i know) isto find another dr. One that will listen to you.

Julie on 7/13/01 at 01:32 (053004)

Your suggestion means a lot, Cindy - it's mine too. Karma, see my post on your other thread about your back.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at 23:43 (053091)

I agree.

Jeff on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053162)

Karma,
You could have a selective entrapement of the medial branch of the posterior tibial nerve. That would certainly cause the symptoms that you describe. Let's try a test called a tinel's sign and see if we can't help figure out your symptoms.
Let's assume that your painful foot is the right one. Sit in a chair and cross your leg so that your right foot is on your left knee, inside of the ankle facing up. The posterior tibial nerve travels from the leg to the foot just behind the inside ankle bone (called the medial malleolus) Use your two fingers to tap or percuss the area around the ankle bone to the heel. Do you get tingles to the toes? If so, you have TTS.
MRI, not going to show you all that much. Many doctors will profess that TTS is caused by soft tissue tumors creating compression in the tarsal canal. Not very common. Electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies (NCV) are only 50% accurate. I hope I'm not bumming you out here, but there's really not an accurate test for TTS. It's a clinical diagnosis. Talk to your family Dr. to find someone with some experience with TTS. You can also find more info on TTS at http://www.myfootshop.com .
Jeff

Diana J on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054847)

I had the same symptoms and my doc said the same thing as Jeff. If something is there the tests might show it, but just because they don't doesn't mean there isn't a problem. You need to find a good foot surgeon and have it checked out. Keeping the foot up and icing it may help some. I had surgery two weeks ago and am hoping that it will help. I do have some feeling back in my toes. He said it could be as long as nine months though because I didn't do anything about it for about 18 months. The longer you wait the worse it can get. My nerve was basically shaped like an hourglass apparently. It was so deformed he thought there might be a tumor, but there wasn't. So ,needless to say, it will take a while for it to heal and for me to get used to it again. Hang in there and go to the doctor. As women, we sometime forget that our pain is sometimes real!!

DianaJ on 7/30/01 at hrmin (054848)

Ditto on getting a new doc. If you are in San Jose area I know a good one.