Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

still hurts after six months

Posted by karen on 7/11/01 at 22:35 (052894)

had surgery for haglunds deformity in December. Pain is almost as severe as before surgery. Pain with movement and especially sore when standing. Unfortunately I stand a lot at work. Doctor has no explanationfor so long a rcuperation period. Says stretching exercise and anti inflamatories but the only thing that has helped is water aerobics. I am off work for summer so am getting some rest. This has been a horrible year. Daughter lost twins, i had two major surgeries besides foot and now husband is having affair. He's depressed. Thanks for listening. karen

Re: still hurts after six months

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:29 (052916)

Karen - my sympathies for all you are having to go through. Sometimes life really hands it to us all at once!

Six months is a long time, but it does seem that recovery from surgery can take that long and longer. I hope it won't be too much longer for you. Keep up with the water aerobics if they help - sounds like the ideal non-weight-bearing exercise for you. It's good you are off work and resting and I hope the autumn brings better times for you.

GinaC on 7/12/01 at 12:15 (052950)

The less said about your husband the better--you have my sympathy!

I had open PF release and TT release in March and still have pain at times. Am preparing to have carpal and ulnar tunnel release at the wrist next month. Was talking to an orthopedic surgeon who had a hand/wrist surgery a little more complex than my wrist surgery will be. Although the doctor said she was able to do 'easy' surgeries 3 months after her own operation, that it took a year and 3 months for full recovery. She made an interesting comment that Americans think they will be recovered from surgery in a couple months and that is not the case. She said the body heals at its own rate and you can't hurry, rush, or change that rate. Basically, healing will take as long as it takes and one should not try to push faster or harder while waiting it out.

I wonder if this ortho surgeon is that upfront about healing with her surery patients. Oddly, I was seeing her for tendonitis after having a foot/ankle ortho do my heel surgery and finding a hand surgeon for my wrist.

Hope the next 6 months are WAY better for you. Gina

karen on 7/20/01 at 07:52 (053797)

Thanks ladies for listening and kind words. I guess I am a bit impatient. Good luck to all of you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054072)

The recovery time on Haglund's surgery is generally fairly quick--something is not quite right. Please obtain a second opinion. I will be happy to email you a list of qualified individuals in your area.

True Haglund's deformity is a 'bump' on the back of the heel bone that protrudes, rubbing against the back of the shoe. Removal of it generally leads to fairly rapid resolution. Pain in the area can also be caused where the achilles attaches to the back of the heel bone--that would not be relieved by conventional 'Haglund's' surgery. Some other things to look for--calcification within the achilles tendon, tight achilles tendon, excessive rearfoot varus (causes too much motion in back of the heel which in turn, causes chronic irritation to the area).

karen on 8/31/01 at 17:45 (058629)

Thanks everyone. I havent checked the message board for awhile It was nice to know someone cares. I'm back at work and still in much pain. I will seek second opinion. karen

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:29 (052916)

Karen - my sympathies for all you are having to go through. Sometimes life really hands it to us all at once!

Six months is a long time, but it does seem that recovery from surgery can take that long and longer. I hope it won't be too much longer for you. Keep up with the water aerobics if they help - sounds like the ideal non-weight-bearing exercise for you. It's good you are off work and resting and I hope the autumn brings better times for you.

GinaC on 7/12/01 at 12:15 (052950)

The less said about your husband the better--you have my sympathy!

I had open PF release and TT release in March and still have pain at times. Am preparing to have carpal and ulnar tunnel release at the wrist next month. Was talking to an orthopedic surgeon who had a hand/wrist surgery a little more complex than my wrist surgery will be. Although the doctor said she was able to do 'easy' surgeries 3 months after her own operation, that it took a year and 3 months for full recovery. She made an interesting comment that Americans think they will be recovered from surgery in a couple months and that is not the case. She said the body heals at its own rate and you can't hurry, rush, or change that rate. Basically, healing will take as long as it takes and one should not try to push faster or harder while waiting it out.

I wonder if this ortho surgeon is that upfront about healing with her surery patients. Oddly, I was seeing her for tendonitis after having a foot/ankle ortho do my heel surgery and finding a hand surgeon for my wrist.

Hope the next 6 months are WAY better for you. Gina

karen on 7/20/01 at 07:52 (053797)

Thanks ladies for listening and kind words. I guess I am a bit impatient. Good luck to all of you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054072)

The recovery time on Haglund's surgery is generally fairly quick--something is not quite right. Please obtain a second opinion. I will be happy to email you a list of qualified individuals in your area.

True Haglund's deformity is a 'bump' on the back of the heel bone that protrudes, rubbing against the back of the shoe. Removal of it generally leads to fairly rapid resolution. Pain in the area can also be caused where the achilles attaches to the back of the heel bone--that would not be relieved by conventional 'Haglund's' surgery. Some other things to look for--calcification within the achilles tendon, tight achilles tendon, excessive rearfoot varus (causes too much motion in back of the heel which in turn, causes chronic irritation to the area).

karen on 8/31/01 at 17:45 (058629)

Thanks everyone. I havent checked the message board for awhile It was nice to know someone cares. I'm back at work and still in much pain. I will seek second opinion. karen