Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Slippers

Posted by Shaida on 7/11/01 at hrmin (052895)

What kind of slippers do you guys use or recommend?

Re: Slippers

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:31 (052917)

You need to wear shoes with good support all the time, Shaida, so slipper-type footgear is really out. I was devoted to my cozy Cretan sheepskin bootee slippers, but when I got pf I had to give them up - switched to Birkenstock Arizona sandals and they are now my 'slippers'.

JudyS on 7/12/01 at 10:02 (052939)

Shaina - I shopped for slippers last year and just couldn't find any that weren't just fancy cushions.....so I keep a pair of old Streicher clogs next to my bed....they're very easy to slip in to even though they're not the warm and fuzzy things we envision slippers to be and they provide immediate support in the AM.

Beverly on 7/12/01 at 14:51 (052964)

Shaina,

If you are an orthodics wearer like me, you might like Dr. Zen shoes from Footsmart.com (1-800-870-7149). They are not slippers. Like Judy has already pointed out, slippers don't have enough support. Dr. Zen shoes have a footbed like a walking shoe but the top part is made out of Spandex and it fastens with velcro... so no laces to tie. They do run awfully wide. I wear them around the house. I think a person would need a wide foot to wear them.

If those are too wide, several athletic shoes come in slip on styles. I have not found one I like but we all have unique and different feet.
Also, there is a shoe called 'Abulator' that makes a slip on style similar to Dr. Zen but with more size and width choices. Ambulator needs to be ordered through an orthodist to get a wide size selection. (Footsmart has a few Ambulators but their selection is limited in styles and sizes.) Both these shoes will win a ugly award.

Before I had to give up my Birks due to ankle problems, I lived in the Birk Arizona sandal. I still miss them.

Take care,
Beverly

Re: Slippers - Thank You!

Shaida on 7/12/01 at 18:47 (052979)

Thank you all for the advice. I was afraid that's what you guys would tell me. Somehow, I was hoping, that some manufacturer out there made something to help us out. Guess not! I will try the clog type of shoe for now. Thanks again

Julie on 7/12/01 at 03:31 (052917)

You need to wear shoes with good support all the time, Shaida, so slipper-type footgear is really out. I was devoted to my cozy Cretan sheepskin bootee slippers, but when I got pf I had to give them up - switched to Birkenstock Arizona sandals and they are now my 'slippers'.

JudyS on 7/12/01 at 10:02 (052939)

Shaina - I shopped for slippers last year and just couldn't find any that weren't just fancy cushions.....so I keep a pair of old Streicher clogs next to my bed....they're very easy to slip in to even though they're not the warm and fuzzy things we envision slippers to be and they provide immediate support in the AM.

Beverly on 7/12/01 at 14:51 (052964)

Shaina,

If you are an orthodics wearer like me, you might like Dr. Zen shoes from Footsmart.com (1-800-870-7149). They are not slippers. Like Judy has already pointed out, slippers don't have enough support. Dr. Zen shoes have a footbed like a walking shoe but the top part is made out of Spandex and it fastens with velcro... so no laces to tie. They do run awfully wide. I wear them around the house. I think a person would need a wide foot to wear them.

If those are too wide, several athletic shoes come in slip on styles. I have not found one I like but we all have unique and different feet.
Also, there is a shoe called 'Abulator' that makes a slip on style similar to Dr. Zen but with more size and width choices. Ambulator needs to be ordered through an orthodist to get a wide size selection. (Footsmart has a few Ambulators but their selection is limited in styles and sizes.) Both these shoes will win a ugly award.

Before I had to give up my Birks due to ankle problems, I lived in the Birk Arizona sandal. I still miss them.

Take care,
Beverly

Re: Slippers - Thank You!

Shaida on 7/12/01 at 18:47 (052979)

Thank you all for the advice. I was afraid that's what you guys would tell me. Somehow, I was hoping, that some manufacturer out there made something to help us out. Guess not! I will try the clog type of shoe for now. Thanks again