Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs each foot....trying to exercise to lose weight

Posted by Libby L on 7/11/01 at 23:23 (052898)

I am in the process of losing weight (which exercise program
gave me the heel spurs!!) and now cannot do aerobics but
like to walk. I have to exercise to lose weight to eliviate
my heel spurs and better my health. The day after walking
it is quite painful. I use heel pads and have new walking shoes.
I take anti - inflamatories. I have been beginning to stretch
on a slanted board my husband made for me. What else can I do??

Re: Heel Spurs each foot....trying to exercise to lose weight

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 01:36 (052906)

Swimming and biking . Walking is usally too much for this condition. Stretching, Seeing physical therapist can be helpful

Tim H on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052929)

I like to swim - it seems to have the lowest impact and the best calorie burn rate. I've tried cycling but sometimes that still bothers my heel. When you swim, you need to work up to the pace and distance where you're really working and breathing hard. I see lots of people with weight problems just sort of wandering back and forth from one end of the pool to the other and never really working that hard. The key though, is to work up gradually - don't expect to be a Mark Spitz or Summer Sanders the first time out. Whoops - just realized that this is the 'Ask the Doctor' page - and I'm not a doctor. Oh well, this is my 2 cents worth.

Re: Great advice Tim

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 11:29 (052947)

Great advice!!!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 01:36 (052906)

Swimming and biking . Walking is usally too much for this condition. Stretching, Seeing physical therapist can be helpful

Tim H on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052929)

I like to swim - it seems to have the lowest impact and the best calorie burn rate. I've tried cycling but sometimes that still bothers my heel. When you swim, you need to work up to the pace and distance where you're really working and breathing hard. I see lots of people with weight problems just sort of wandering back and forth from one end of the pool to the other and never really working that hard. The key though, is to work up gradually - don't expect to be a Mark Spitz or Summer Sanders the first time out. Whoops - just realized that this is the 'Ask the Doctor' page - and I'm not a doctor. Oh well, this is my 2 cents worth.

Re: Great advice Tim

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 11:29 (052947)

Great advice!!!!