Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Challenging Weekend...

Posted by Carmen H on 7/12/01 at 07:49 (052924)

I am off for the weekend to face my first 'REAL' challenge with this PF. I am going to the Airport (Hartsfield so you can imagine the walk I will have to do to get to my gate) and on a trip to North Carolina. This will be the most I have been on my feet since this started a month ago. I have told my sister to be waiting in North Carolina with a bag of ice in her car as I know this will be very tough for me.
Have a good weekend everyone.......rapid healing to all.
carmen

Re: Challenging Weekend...

ellen w on 7/12/01 at 08:15 (052930)

Maybe you could bring some frozen gel packs with you, and ice on the plane? Ace makes a soft fabric gel pack that might be good for traveling. I find it comfortable against my skin, unlike some others. And they're kind of fat, so they're like little pillows under your feet. Maybe the stewardesses could pop them in the freezer for you.
ellen

Glenn X on 7/12/01 at 14:11 (052958)

Carmen: Probably off on your trip already. Two years ago, coping with an increase in PF pain, I undertook a business trip to Chicago. Too much airporting, hoteling, businessing. On crutches since. Were I to do it over, I'd swallow my pride and either wheelchair, crawl, or have someone fireman's carry me through the airport. Stepping into sharp pain (for me) is 50 steps back for every 1 step forward. Hope all went well.

Julie on 7/12/01 at 16:18 (052970)

Carmen, before I saw Glenn';s post I was going to suggest a wheelchair, but chickened out, thinking ...I don't know what, maybe that you wouldn't like the idea. But it is a good idea. Anyway - if it isn't too late, try to arrange for one. You'll be glad you did. And if people look at you, just look at them back.

ellen w on 7/12/01 at 08:15 (052930)

Maybe you could bring some frozen gel packs with you, and ice on the plane? Ace makes a soft fabric gel pack that might be good for traveling. I find it comfortable against my skin, unlike some others. And they're kind of fat, so they're like little pillows under your feet. Maybe the stewardesses could pop them in the freezer for you.
ellen

Glenn X on 7/12/01 at 14:11 (052958)

Carmen: Probably off on your trip already. Two years ago, coping with an increase in PF pain, I undertook a business trip to Chicago. Too much airporting, hoteling, businessing. On crutches since. Were I to do it over, I'd swallow my pride and either wheelchair, crawl, or have someone fireman's carry me through the airport. Stepping into sharp pain (for me) is 50 steps back for every 1 step forward. Hope all went well.

Julie on 7/12/01 at 16:18 (052970)

Carmen, before I saw Glenn';s post I was going to suggest a wheelchair, but chickened out, thinking ...I don't know what, maybe that you wouldn't like the idea. But it is a good idea. Anyway - if it isn't too late, try to arrange for one. You'll be glad you did. And if people look at you, just look at them back.