Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglunds Deformity

Posted by Deb S. on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052940)

Looking for some help.

I am a competitive marathon runner and have been suffering with this heel bump for nearly two years. Tried all sorts of physical therapy, even painful accupunture. Upon viewing the x-ray, it was determined to be Haglunds which explains why I was receiving little benefit from the previous treatments. I visited with a orthopedic surgeon specializing in feet and he would not preform the surgery. He said I would never run the same. His advice was orthotics and medication. I have cut a hole in the back of my shoe for the bump and have some excellent orthotics. I am still in much pain and wondering what I can do. Any ideas???? Thanks.

Miss Deb from Big D.

Re: Haglunds Deformity

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 11:19 (052944)

If the pain is at the achilles tendon insertion and not at the outside lateral aspect of the heel, ( this is haglunds) then ESWT will be perfect for you. Do you have pain even without shoes on. Is the pain right where the achilles tendon attached to the back of the heel bone.

Dr. Ed Davis on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053401)

The exact location of the problem can go a long way to determine the best treatment. A 'true' Haglunds deformity is an enlargement of the back of the heel bone above the area in which the achilles tendon attaches. Surgical removal of the protruding bone is a fairly simple proposition and you should be able to run without any problems after recovery from such a procedure. ECSWT would have no effect on such a problem.

Boney protrusion at the area of attachment of the achilles is a different problem sometimes termed achilles insertional calcific tendinitis (AICT).
ECSWT may be helpful for this, providing the amount of protrusion is not too great. Surgery for this problem is more extensive since the achilles tendon must be detached and re-attached to the back of the heel bone in order to resect the abnormal tissue. Patients generally return to activities such as running within 3 months. It is important to discuss this with an individual who performs a lot of these procedures as the surgeons' skill level can make a difference in the outcome. Please consider a second opinion.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/12/01 at 11:19 (052944)

If the pain is at the achilles tendon insertion and not at the outside lateral aspect of the heel, ( this is haglunds) then ESWT will be perfect for you. Do you have pain even without shoes on. Is the pain right where the achilles tendon attached to the back of the heel bone.

Dr. Ed Davis on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053401)

The exact location of the problem can go a long way to determine the best treatment. A 'true' Haglunds deformity is an enlargement of the back of the heel bone above the area in which the achilles tendon attaches. Surgical removal of the protruding bone is a fairly simple proposition and you should be able to run without any problems after recovery from such a procedure. ECSWT would have no effect on such a problem.

Boney protrusion at the area of attachment of the achilles is a different problem sometimes termed achilles insertional calcific tendinitis (AICT).
ECSWT may be helpful for this, providing the amount of protrusion is not too great. Surgery for this problem is more extensive since the achilles tendon must be detached and re-attached to the back of the heel bone in order to resect the abnormal tissue. Patients generally return to activities such as running within 3 months. It is important to discuss this with an individual who performs a lot of these procedures as the surgeons' skill level can make a difference in the outcome. Please consider a second opinion.
Ed