Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

7 weeks post-op

Posted by Rhea L. on 7/12/01 at 20:36 (052982)

I'm 7 weeks post-op pf release. Doing great. I work 8 hours as a nurse on my feet. Every day I notice that I'm better. It use to be that every step I took would hurt and I constantly thought about the next step. Now I find myself not thinking about it at all. Yes, I still have some soreness and an occasional ache but I'm about 85% there. Today I even took my dog out for a short run (1 block). I plan on doing this 2 or 3 times a week. We'll see. Thankyou everyone for your information and support.

Re: 7 weeks post-opI have a ??? If you dont mind

Tammie on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052988)

I was wondering as to the type of sho you wear at work? I am a nurses aide and on my feet allot to , we have to wear white shoes and soon I am hoping to go back to work, It has been 12 weeks for me and I am getting antsy again and I want to take good care of feet when I return, the dr. will not release me as of yet I see him again Aug. 1 and hope that foot will be better enough to return to what i love! So have been searching for the majoic shoe to help ! I wear orthodic now to.Just wondered if you might have a suggestion! I am envious of you ,but very happy that things are going well for you! I hope for your continued sucess!

Tina R. on 7/12/01 at 23:57 (053000)

Tammie---you might want to try a pair of Birkenstocks. They have several styles that come in white. They do take a few days to become accustomed to, but I have heard many people with foot problems of all types say they were just as helpful as orthotics, and sometimes even much better. I am wearing mine again, following my PFR and TTR on 6-22. My sister has also found them to be wonderful for her feet, and she also has the custom orthotics. She finds them to work just as well as her orthotics, which only fit in athletic shoes. They have many, many styles and colors. Lots of shoes for cooler weather, not just sandals. Best of luck to you.

Re: Birkenstocks

Julie on 7/13/01 at 01:39 (053005)

The Birkenstock website has a section of (I think) 'professional' shoes. Lots of them are white, and would be suitable, Tammie. Have a look at http://www.birkenstock-cn.com .

Re: Birkenstocks/Thank You

Tammie on 7/13/01 at 07:36 (053022)

Hi Thank you I have heard allot about thease Birkenstocks,I am interested I have heard pros and cons to them! Now I have not worn a clog type of shoe for work before always a running shoe type. Are the clogs hard to get use to ,do they give the support you need? Also I give people baths ansd showers and from time to time the floor gets wet do they have a good bottom so that I dont slip lol? In my job I have to lift people so my traction has to be good (I am asking because I am a bit clutzy lol) I don't want to get something that slips off me or that I will trip on my face,and now you say that you might not have to wear the orthodics in the birks? Would that change me foot since I have been faithful to the orthodics since the surgery? I am sorry for all the questions but I am curious and want to get something decent as I would like to be able to work many years yet lol! Thanks to you again!

Andrea R. on 7/13/01 at 08:22 (053026)

Tammie,

Birkenstock also makes closed shoes or a clog type with a back strap. Go to http://www.birkenstock.com and look under professional shoes. Just remember to break them in before you wear them for a long time.

Andrea

ellen w on 7/13/01 at 09:17 (053030)

Hi Tammie,
I frequently see our hospital staff in the OR wearing clogs under their surgical booties, including surgeons and anesthesiologists who have to stand for long periods of time during procedures. I don't know where they get them, but they must past some sort of nonslip safety test, otherwise they wouldnt' be allowed. Maybe someone at your hospital would know where they are sold?
ellen

Tina R. on 7/13/01 at 11:27 (053037)

TAMMIE: Birkenstock makes some rubber-type clogs that many health care workers use. They are not hurt by getting wet, and are reportedly very comfortable. In terms of the white leather shoes, I am almost positive they make a few styles that are actual shoes, not clogs with back straps. I have used birkenstockcentral.com with great success. Most of the Birkenstock styles have a great arch built in, you wouldn't wear orthotics with them. I have noticed that some of the styles have removable cork inserts, and you could probably use orthotics with them. Best of luck.

Rhea L. on 7/13/01 at 20:46 (053076)

I'm wearing Birk. clogs most of the time and Reebok Classic at work and for play. Yes it took some time to get use to the clog but I really do like them. Sometimes my ankle feels weak (due to previous fracture 5 years ago) so the Reeboks give me more support. I always wear cotton socks with the clogs so that my feet do not slip. The clogs take the pressure off your heel and supports your arch. You might want to try them. They have them with straps also. I too am a O.R. nurse and yes most of the O.R. staff where them for a reason. Good luck.

john h on 8/06/01 at 15:30 (055667)

birk also makes a very nice looking white or blue airizona with the semi soft footbed. if you have not experienced these new beds you should sure try them. they have lots of support and the same shaped bed as the original but with just the right amount of cushioning built in. just ordered another pair and i think they were 48 eurodollars plus shipping.

Tammie on 7/12/01 at hrmin (052988)

I was wondering as to the type of sho you wear at work? I am a nurses aide and on my feet allot to , we have to wear white shoes and soon I am hoping to go back to work, It has been 12 weeks for me and I am getting antsy again and I want to take good care of feet when I return, the dr. will not release me as of yet I see him again Aug. 1 and hope that foot will be better enough to return to what i love! So have been searching for the majoic shoe to help ! I wear orthodic now to.Just wondered if you might have a suggestion! I am envious of you ,but very happy that things are going well for you! I hope for your continued sucess!

Tina R. on 7/12/01 at 23:57 (053000)

Tammie---you might want to try a pair of Birkenstocks. They have several styles that come in white. They do take a few days to become accustomed to, but I have heard many people with foot problems of all types say they were just as helpful as orthotics, and sometimes even much better. I am wearing mine again, following my PFR and TTR on 6-22. My sister has also found them to be wonderful for her feet, and she also has the custom orthotics. She finds them to work just as well as her orthotics, which only fit in athletic shoes. They have many, many styles and colors. Lots of shoes for cooler weather, not just sandals. Best of luck to you.

Julie on 7/13/01 at 01:39 (053005)

The Birkenstock website has a section of (I think) 'professional' shoes. Lots of them are white, and would be suitable, Tammie. Have a look at http://www.birkenstock-cn.com .

Tammie on 7/13/01 at 07:36 (053022)

Hi Thank you I have heard allot about thease Birkenstocks,I am interested I have heard pros and cons to them! Now I have not worn a clog type of shoe for work before always a running shoe type. Are the clogs hard to get use to ,do they give the support you need? Also I give people baths ansd showers and from time to time the floor gets wet do they have a good bottom so that I dont slip lol? In my job I have to lift people so my traction has to be good (I am asking because I am a bit clutzy lol) I don't want to get something that slips off me or that I will trip on my face,and now you say that you might not have to wear the orthodics in the birks? Would that change me foot since I have been faithful to the orthodics since the surgery? I am sorry for all the questions but I am curious and want to get something decent as I would like to be able to work many years yet lol! Thanks to you again!

Andrea R. on 7/13/01 at 08:22 (053026)

Tammie,

Birkenstock also makes closed shoes or a clog type with a back strap. Go to http://www.birkenstock.com and look under professional shoes. Just remember to break them in before you wear them for a long time.

Andrea

ellen w on 7/13/01 at 09:17 (053030)

Hi Tammie,
I frequently see our hospital staff in the OR wearing clogs under their surgical booties, including surgeons and anesthesiologists who have to stand for long periods of time during procedures. I don't know where they get them, but they must past some sort of nonslip safety test, otherwise they wouldnt' be allowed. Maybe someone at your hospital would know where they are sold?
ellen

Tina R. on 7/13/01 at 11:27 (053037)

TAMMIE: Birkenstock makes some rubber-type clogs that many health care workers use. They are not hurt by getting wet, and are reportedly very comfortable. In terms of the white leather shoes, I am almost positive they make a few styles that are actual shoes, not clogs with back straps. I have used birkenstockcentral.com with great success. Most of the Birkenstock styles have a great arch built in, you wouldn't wear orthotics with them. I have noticed that some of the styles have removable cork inserts, and you could probably use orthotics with them. Best of luck.

Rhea L. on 7/13/01 at 20:46 (053076)

I'm wearing Birk. clogs most of the time and Reebok Classic at work and for play. Yes it took some time to get use to the clog but I really do like them. Sometimes my ankle feels weak (due to previous fracture 5 years ago) so the Reeboks give me more support. I always wear cotton socks with the clogs so that my feet do not slip. The clogs take the pressure off your heel and supports your arch. You might want to try them. They have them with straps also. I too am a O.R. nurse and yes most of the O.R. staff where them for a reason. Good luck.

john h on 8/06/01 at 15:30 (055667)

birk also makes a very nice looking white or blue airizona with the semi soft footbed. if you have not experienced these new beds you should sure try them. they have lots of support and the same shaped bed as the original but with just the right amount of cushioning built in. just ordered another pair and i think they were 48 eurodollars plus shipping.