Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

10 days post op....need advice

Posted by Lori I. on 7/12/01 at 21:08 (052987)

This is my first time posting on this board. So I hope I do this right..forgive me if I don't.

On July 2nd I had PF release. I have two scars one is the length of my ankle and the other is just a tiny scar. Went for a visit to the Dr today and he said that maybe next week he would remove the stitches. I have been on crutches the whole time lol but I'm getting better and better as the days go on. I've read on some of the other posts and seem to think that the Dr is taking my stitches out rather early. I haven't put any weight down on my foot at all. I have been flexing my foot and moving my toes a little with pain. Been babying it the whole time with one little incident where I fell and stepped back on my 'bad' foot. I am really looking forward to walking again without the crutches...How bad is it when there is weight put on the foot? Will I be going back to work soon or does it take a while to heal even after the stitches have been removed??? Wouldn't mind goin back to work..but don't wanna push things. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lori

Ps anyone else crawl every where...man the carpet burns are killin my knees!!! LOL

Re: 10 days post op....need advice

Tina R. on 7/12/01 at 23:50 (052998)

I had an open PFR and TTR on 6-22, so I am just slightly ahead of you in terms of recuperation. I found a walker much, much easier to use than crutches. The hopping along on the 'good' foot certainly gets old and tiresome, but I found crutches near to impossible. I am now walking with no assistance, though only around the house or on very short jaunts. I used a wheelchair today to go shopping with my daughter. I knew that my foot would tire if I walked, and I certainly didn't want to hop for 2-3 hours! My stitches were removed at 14 days, though my incision has had some small problems healing. As an RN, I know a bit about incisions and their care and healing stages. In my particular instance, I don't think the sutures were removed too quickly. The incision does seem to have finally turned the corner, however, and is making some nice progress. Thus far, I feel incredibly amazed and thankful at the small amount of pain I have had, both immediately after surgery and now that I am walking some. If I have been up too much, a short rest period seems to help, and I always seem to start with a clean slate in the morning. I can certainly see, however, that it will take several months to feel pretty much back to normal, (without the heel pain, of course!) I encourage you to rejoice in even the smallest signs of progress and healing, for they all take you closer to the finish line.

In reference to your crawling, I know how you feel! I had a terrible sprained ankle a few years ago, and found that was the only way to get to the bathroom without my foot throbbing. If I used crutches the foot was down instead of elevated. If I crawled, I could keep it it elevated. Your carpet burns will heal!

ellen w on 7/13/01 at 09:10 (053029)

Here's one way to get to the bathroom safely without crutches or crawling -- rest your knee on a lightweight kitchen chair so your foot is off the floor, and move the chair one step at a time. A nurse taught me this one in the hospital. It's cumbersome and slow (actually for me, faster than crutches), but safe. Also, wearing padded bicycle gloves while moving on crutches will help your hands.
ellen

BrianG on 7/13/01 at 19:04 (053068)

Hi Lori,

You did well on your 1st post, nothing to worry about. I can't answer any of your questions, but I want to remind you that we all heal diferently. Some folks will have very little pain, others will almost be crippled by it (me). As far as going back to work, it really depends on what you do for work. If you have a job where you sit, it'll be on the short end, maybe a couple of weeks. If your on your feet, you could be out for months. Take your rehab seriously, I hope you'll one of those people that just stops in for awile, heals, and is gone. You definatly don't want to join our 'club' if at all possible. Good luck

BCG

Re: Thanx!! :)

Lori I. on 7/13/01 at 22:13 (053080)

Thank you all for repling....:)

I have a job where I am on my feet atleast 8 hours of the day and if my 'relief' doesn't show up I HAVE to stay another 8. So sometimes I am working 16 hours. I started experiencing a little pain today for the first time in the arch of my foot...real sharp pains. That kinda worried me...I put in my first post that I had PFR but I also had Tarsal Tunnel release. Again thank you all for replying....hope everyone else is doing well!!

Lori

Re: Don't rush back to work !

BrianG on 7/14/01 at 13:54 (053147)

Hi Lori,

I know you don't want to hear this, but your work is going to play a big part in your healing. I speak from experience. I have spent way too much time on my feet at work, both before, and after my failed EPF surgery. Work with your doctor to ensure your healed before returning to work. Is it possible for your company to give you a 'sit down' type of job until your healed? Be honest with your doc. If your not ready to go back to work, let him know. Don't let anyone force you in to returning too early. It's a fine line beween healing, and long term chronic pain. Good luck

BCG

Dan L on 7/15/01 at hrmin (053261)

PLEASE don't go back to work too soon. I made that mistake. Do you want to have painful feet the rest of your life? Well, of course not. PLEASE wait many weeks before even thinking about it. Best wishes to you!!

Re: See my posting formy experience--surgery April 11

Susan U on 7/16/01 at 21:48 (053420)

Check out my posting.

Tina R. on 7/12/01 at 23:50 (052998)

I had an open PFR and TTR on 6-22, so I am just slightly ahead of you in terms of recuperation. I found a walker much, much easier to use than crutches. The hopping along on the 'good' foot certainly gets old and tiresome, but I found crutches near to impossible. I am now walking with no assistance, though only around the house or on very short jaunts. I used a wheelchair today to go shopping with my daughter. I knew that my foot would tire if I walked, and I certainly didn't want to hop for 2-3 hours! My stitches were removed at 14 days, though my incision has had some small problems healing. As an RN, I know a bit about incisions and their care and healing stages. In my particular instance, I don't think the sutures were removed too quickly. The incision does seem to have finally turned the corner, however, and is making some nice progress. Thus far, I feel incredibly amazed and thankful at the small amount of pain I have had, both immediately after surgery and now that I am walking some. If I have been up too much, a short rest period seems to help, and I always seem to start with a clean slate in the morning. I can certainly see, however, that it will take several months to feel pretty much back to normal, (without the heel pain, of course!) I encourage you to rejoice in even the smallest signs of progress and healing, for they all take you closer to the finish line.

In reference to your crawling, I know how you feel! I had a terrible sprained ankle a few years ago, and found that was the only way to get to the bathroom without my foot throbbing. If I used crutches the foot was down instead of elevated. If I crawled, I could keep it it elevated. Your carpet burns will heal!

ellen w on 7/13/01 at 09:10 (053029)

Here's one way to get to the bathroom safely without crutches or crawling -- rest your knee on a lightweight kitchen chair so your foot is off the floor, and move the chair one step at a time. A nurse taught me this one in the hospital. It's cumbersome and slow (actually for me, faster than crutches), but safe. Also, wearing padded bicycle gloves while moving on crutches will help your hands.
ellen

BrianG on 7/13/01 at 19:04 (053068)

Hi Lori,

You did well on your 1st post, nothing to worry about. I can't answer any of your questions, but I want to remind you that we all heal diferently. Some folks will have very little pain, others will almost be crippled by it (me). As far as going back to work, it really depends on what you do for work. If you have a job where you sit, it'll be on the short end, maybe a couple of weeks. If your on your feet, you could be out for months. Take your rehab seriously, I hope you'll one of those people that just stops in for awile, heals, and is gone. You definatly don't want to join our 'club' if at all possible. Good luck

BCG

Re: Thanx!! :)

Lori I. on 7/13/01 at 22:13 (053080)

Thank you all for repling....:)

I have a job where I am on my feet atleast 8 hours of the day and if my 'relief' doesn't show up I HAVE to stay another 8. So sometimes I am working 16 hours. I started experiencing a little pain today for the first time in the arch of my foot...real sharp pains. That kinda worried me...I put in my first post that I had PFR but I also had Tarsal Tunnel release. Again thank you all for replying....hope everyone else is doing well!!

Lori

Re: Don't rush back to work !

BrianG on 7/14/01 at 13:54 (053147)

Hi Lori,

I know you don't want to hear this, but your work is going to play a big part in your healing. I speak from experience. I have spent way too much time on my feet at work, both before, and after my failed EPF surgery. Work with your doctor to ensure your healed before returning to work. Is it possible for your company to give you a 'sit down' type of job until your healed? Be honest with your doc. If your not ready to go back to work, let him know. Don't let anyone force you in to returning too early. It's a fine line beween healing, and long term chronic pain. Good luck

BCG

Dan L on 7/15/01 at hrmin (053261)

PLEASE don't go back to work too soon. I made that mistake. Do you want to have painful feet the rest of your life? Well, of course not. PLEASE wait many weeks before even thinking about it. Best wishes to you!!

Re: See my posting formy experience--surgery April 11

Susan U on 7/16/01 at 21:48 (053420)

Check out my posting.