Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Would like my corn removed and toe straightened..help

Posted by Michelle Bennett on 7/13/01 at 01:56 (053009)

hello i would really like my corn removed from the side of my fifth toe. My corn takes up almost the whole side of my toe and it throbs alot and stings, especially when it is about to rain, i don't know why...I have tried almost everythng but it won't go away....so i have come to the conclusion that only surgery will work....My toe also needs to be straightened because it is curled under my 4th toe...i am scared i never had surgery and i don't want any complications..can someone tell me the surgical procedure and what kind of exam they will do..and what questions to ask....so i don't go to the podiatrist without knowledge.

thankyou

Re: Would like my corn removed and toe straightened..help

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053083)

This type of surgery is very common and should give you a lot of relief. The main complication that could be encountered is swelling of the toe for awhile after the surgery. You will likely be in a surgical shoe for 2-3 weeks after the surgery and then go into tennis shoes before returning to your regular shoes. The exam will include an x-ray and evaluation to determine if your pain is from the bone and/or inflamation of the tissues. Good luck!

chris on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053809)

I had a large corn on my fifth toe of my left foot for years. I actually went to a pod for something different and showed him my corn. I ended up having surgery on that toe. The Pod discussed removing a portion of the bone so the toe would lay flat (that is why I had the corn and no treatments would ever work) He ended up just needing to shave a portion of the bone. I have not had a corn on that toe since!

The recovery, though was quite long. I had no problems walking and was driving a car within a few days, but i was wearing sandals for a long time! I think it was over 3 months before I was back into regular shoes...good thing it was summertime and I could wear sandals!

I have been very happy with my choice to have the surgery.
Chris

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/22/01 at 22:43 (053991)

That 5th toe is always the worst. They tend to swell more then the others.

opheliar on 7/24/01 at 00:35 (054078)

I have the same problem where I have a corn and would like to have it removed and have my toe straightened. I am afraid that it may be hammer toe and that I will need surgery because I have tried corn removers and they did not work. I am scared of the pain and the recovery time, but I am also very embarassed of the way that my feet look and I am begining to experience foot pain. Does anyone have experience with this type of sugery, I need a little reassurance. Thanks.

chris on 7/24/01 at 07:57 (054095)

Read my post above. The pain was not that bad...the problem with recovery was the length of time it took for me to get real shoes on! Sandals were great. Took about 3 months...I had surgery in June and was bowling by September

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053083)

This type of surgery is very common and should give you a lot of relief. The main complication that could be encountered is swelling of the toe for awhile after the surgery. You will likely be in a surgical shoe for 2-3 weeks after the surgery and then go into tennis shoes before returning to your regular shoes. The exam will include an x-ray and evaluation to determine if your pain is from the bone and/or inflamation of the tissues. Good luck!

chris on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053809)

I had a large corn on my fifth toe of my left foot for years. I actually went to a pod for something different and showed him my corn. I ended up having surgery on that toe. The Pod discussed removing a portion of the bone so the toe would lay flat (that is why I had the corn and no treatments would ever work) He ended up just needing to shave a portion of the bone. I have not had a corn on that toe since!

The recovery, though was quite long. I had no problems walking and was driving a car within a few days, but i was wearing sandals for a long time! I think it was over 3 months before I was back into regular shoes...good thing it was summertime and I could wear sandals!

I have been very happy with my choice to have the surgery.
Chris

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/22/01 at 22:43 (053991)

That 5th toe is always the worst. They tend to swell more then the others.

opheliar on 7/24/01 at 00:35 (054078)

I have the same problem where I have a corn and would like to have it removed and have my toe straightened. I am afraid that it may be hammer toe and that I will need surgery because I have tried corn removers and they did not work. I am scared of the pain and the recovery time, but I am also very embarassed of the way that my feet look and I am begining to experience foot pain. Does anyone have experience with this type of sugery, I need a little reassurance. Thanks.

chris on 7/24/01 at 07:57 (054095)

Read my post above. The pain was not that bad...the problem with recovery was the length of time it took for me to get real shoes on! Sandals were great. Took about 3 months...I had surgery in June and was bowling by September