Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Alternative to Birkenstocks?

Posted by Rick on 7/13/01 at 02:48 (053015)

Hi

I found a local store with a range of Birk sandals - all with firm soles- but found them distinctly uncomfortable. I imagine that they could 'soften' with time. [?] I thought that they were also expensive at approximately US$80 a pair. [I'm in Australia].
It may be that Birks are the way to go but first I thought it worthwhile asking if anyone has had good experiences with other brands.
I'm currently 7 weeks post a TT release.
Any advice would be welcome.
With thanks
Rick

Re: Alternative to Birkenstocks?

Leonard C. on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053760)

Rick
I just found out that I have Plantar Neuroma. Have had two injections, but it looks like surgery will be neede to remove scar tissue. I have been wearing a great shoe made in America and sold through the S.A.S. Stores. It is a shoe that the doctor said was one of the best you can wear. They cost about $90 here. I can recomend them.
Leonard

Rick on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054008)

Thanks for the reply Leonard! I had just gone out and bought Birkenstocks before reading it.
Have had the Birks 3 days now and 'think' they'll be OK once broken in. I'm not sure if they were intended for people with very flat feet who generally wear orthotics. However I couldn't find an alternative to the Birkenstocks that also suit the recovery period, and wound area, after TT surgery.
However I am interested to know of the shoes you referred to but did not name in terms of brand. Do you know the brand name and what are SAS stores please?
All the best with your own condition.
Rick

susanm on 7/29/01 at 19:47 (054731)

Birkenstock manufactures two styles in a cushioned footbed. These have all the Birkenstock support with lots of cushioning. They were designed with neuroma patients in mind, but I have tarsal tunnel and they've been more comfortablel than anything else I've tried including SAS.

Leonard C. on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053760)

Rick
I just found out that I have Plantar Neuroma. Have had two injections, but it looks like surgery will be neede to remove scar tissue. I have been wearing a great shoe made in America and sold through the S.A.S. Stores. It is a shoe that the doctor said was one of the best you can wear. They cost about $90 here. I can recomend them.
Leonard

Rick on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054008)

Thanks for the reply Leonard! I had just gone out and bought Birkenstocks before reading it.
Have had the Birks 3 days now and 'think' they'll be OK once broken in. I'm not sure if they were intended for people with very flat feet who generally wear orthotics. However I couldn't find an alternative to the Birkenstocks that also suit the recovery period, and wound area, after TT surgery.
However I am interested to know of the shoes you referred to but did not name in terms of brand. Do you know the brand name and what are SAS stores please?
All the best with your own condition.
Rick

susanm on 7/29/01 at 19:47 (054731)

Birkenstock manufactures two styles in a cushioned footbed. These have all the Birkenstock support with lots of cushioning. They were designed with neuroma patients in mind, but I have tarsal tunnel and they've been more comfortablel than anything else I've tried including SAS.