Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Top of Foot Pain

Posted by Jessica M on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053023)

My pain is on the top of my foot, just below my big toe and the second toe. This area is not only sore when walking and sore to the touch, but also swollen. Swelling goes down overnight, but resumes in the a.m. I have been taking Vioxx for two days, but this just helps a little, and I really don't like Vioxx's side affects. What could this pain be, and what do you recommend? Thanks.

Re: Top of Foot Pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 09:48 (053031)

Has it been x-rayed . What did your evaluation show. Must rule out stress fracture, damage to any of the joints The reason that the swelling goes down at nite is because you are off the foot.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053087)

That is a very common area for arthritis, especially in someone that has a flat foot (one that has an arch when you are off of it and then it flattens when you stand). Sometimes orthotics can help stabilize the area, but if it is arthritis, orthotics may not help at this point.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 09:48 (053031)

Has it been x-rayed . What did your evaluation show. Must rule out stress fracture, damage to any of the joints The reason that the swelling goes down at nite is because you are off the foot.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053087)

That is a very common area for arthritis, especially in someone that has a flat foot (one that has an arch when you are off of it and then it flattens when you stand). Sometimes orthotics can help stabilize the area, but if it is arthritis, orthotics may not help at this point.