Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Request info about Dournier machine... May be avail in Dallas soon.

Posted by Beverly on 7/13/01 at 10:23 (053033)

Could anyone share info. about the Dournier machine. It may be avail. in Dallas soon. Since I am not the most ideal canidate for EWST and this may or may not work for me, I am more likely to try this lower cost product. The doctor's office in Dallas said it is as good as the Ossatron but takes more treatments since it costs dramatically less and packs a more gentle zap.

Which intensity level is it? How much skill is needed to operate it? Is this something that needs to be done by doctor or is it something nurse or PA is trained to operate? How many treatments does on usually need?

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Request info about Dournier machine... May be avail in Dallas soon.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:48 (053046)

Hi,

Go to the web site for Dornier. It is the dornier epos two. . I believe it is a low energy. It has an ultrasound imaging system attached to it. Not sure of the level of energy or the mulitple treatment. The skill well that is going to be a debate. My opinion the machine isn't the most important part of the treatment it is the doctor , his experience in the treatment of heel pain. Doing diffuse pain sites and not trigger point sites shows lack of experience with treating heel pain. The international standards state clearly small pin point pain .

Re: As usual, thanks Dr. Z.

Beverly on 7/13/01 at 18:11 (053062)

Dr. Z.,

As usual thanks for the info. So, if I understand correctly, you are saying I'm not a good canidate for EWST since I have pain from heel to arch and not specific trigger points. (On a bad day, my massage therapist can find my most painful spot which is in the arch. But when standing, I feel pain from heel to arch... depending upon how long I'm on my feet. And just a basic 'tap, tap, thump, thump' by the doctor rarely elicits any pain.) On a really bad day, the worst pain is usually in the arch.

I've always wondered how much of my arch pain is from the PF and how much of it is from PTT. Guess that is one of those things I may never get answered.

Dr. Lowry also gave me that Dornier website which says it is not yet approved for U.S. So, I'm more confused than ever about the possiblity it might be in Dallas soon.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:58 (053073)

I have been in touch with Dornier in the last year. The hopeful date is Oct of this year. With red tape and the FDA procedures going to have to add more time. My guess is sometime in Feb of 2002. Just a guest. So the order of new machines on the market is the following

1. Dornier
2. Orthowave

Orthowave is in the second stage of FDA multiple center double blind studies.

I just don't think you are a candidate for ESWT.

Dan L on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053114)

Wow, Beverly. The way you describe your pain is EXACTLY how both my feet feel. I had bilateral plantar fasciotomy Feb of 2000. I'm much worse now. May have Ossotron treatment later. It's so difficult to know what to do. Is this 'PF thing' dibilatating (sp?) or what!!!??? Best wishes to you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:48 (053046)

Hi,

Go to the web site for Dornier. It is the dornier epos two. . I believe it is a low energy. It has an ultrasound imaging system attached to it. Not sure of the level of energy or the mulitple treatment. The skill well that is going to be a debate. My opinion the machine isn't the most important part of the treatment it is the doctor , his experience in the treatment of heel pain. Doing diffuse pain sites and not trigger point sites shows lack of experience with treating heel pain. The international standards state clearly small pin point pain .

Beverly on 7/13/01 at 18:11 (053062)

Dr. Z.,

As usual thanks for the info. So, if I understand correctly, you are saying I'm not a good canidate for EWST since I have pain from heel to arch and not specific trigger points. (On a bad day, my massage therapist can find my most painful spot which is in the arch. But when standing, I feel pain from heel to arch... depending upon how long I'm on my feet. And just a basic 'tap, tap, thump, thump' by the doctor rarely elicits any pain.) On a really bad day, the worst pain is usually in the arch.

I've always wondered how much of my arch pain is from the PF and how much of it is from PTT. Guess that is one of those things I may never get answered.

Dr. Lowry also gave me that Dornier website which says it is not yet approved for U.S. So, I'm more confused than ever about the possiblity it might be in Dallas soon.
Thanks,
Beverly

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:58 (053073)

I have been in touch with Dornier in the last year. The hopeful date is Oct of this year. With red tape and the FDA procedures going to have to add more time. My guess is sometime in Feb of 2002. Just a guest. So the order of new machines on the market is the following

1. Dornier
2. Orthowave

Orthowave is in the second stage of FDA multiple center double blind studies.

I just don't think you are a candidate for ESWT.

Dan L on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053114)

Wow, Beverly. The way you describe your pain is EXACTLY how both my feet feel. I had bilateral plantar fasciotomy Feb of 2000. I'm much worse now. May have Ossotron treatment later. It's so difficult to know what to do. Is this 'PF thing' dibilatating (sp?) or what!!!??? Best wishes to you.