Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar facsciitis

Posted by Fran F on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053035)

I have had plantar facsciitis in my left foot for over a year. I've been wearing orthotics and doing stretching. It seems to be worse after a long hike. I am wondering if a cortisone shot would speed the healing along. When I had this condition in my right foot I had two cortisone shots. They didn't seem to have any immediate effects, but I'm wondering if they helped speed up the healing process.

Re: plantar facsciitis

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:51 (053049)

Steroid injections reduce swelling and pain they actually can inhibit the healing process and in some rare cases cause rupture of the pf . The average reported amount of local steriod injections that caused a rupture was two. Rest and avoiding those very long hike is the best bet for quicker healing.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053085)

I use steroid injections as part of my protocol for treating PF. I will never give just one as I don't use it to decrease the pain, I use it to decrease the inflammation. Usually, I recommend rest, stretching, heel cup, etc. first and then injections. I never give more then three, as there is a risk of rupturing the fascia from the steroid. About 85% of the people I see for heel pain are resolved with some type of conservative protocol including the injections and usually ultrasound.

Julie on 7/14/01 at 01:36 (053099)

Fran, I am not a doctor, but I'd like to comment that it may well be those long hikes that are holding your healing up. Of course it's worse afterwards: you're re-injuring the fascia with every step.

If you read the heel pain book on this site, and the message boards, you'll find that rest is the first line of treatment for pf. There are many people here who can tell you that by continuing to run once pf set in, they escalated a minor problem into a long-term, chronic, very painful condition.

Stay off your feet as much as you can, and read the heel pain book for information about pf and ideas about how to deal with it. Come back with any questions you have - we are here to help.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:51 (053049)

Steroid injections reduce swelling and pain they actually can inhibit the healing process and in some rare cases cause rupture of the pf . The average reported amount of local steriod injections that caused a rupture was two. Rest and avoiding those very long hike is the best bet for quicker healing.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/13/01 at hrmin (053085)

I use steroid injections as part of my protocol for treating PF. I will never give just one as I don't use it to decrease the pain, I use it to decrease the inflammation. Usually, I recommend rest, stretching, heel cup, etc. first and then injections. I never give more then three, as there is a risk of rupturing the fascia from the steroid. About 85% of the people I see for heel pain are resolved with some type of conservative protocol including the injections and usually ultrasound.

Julie on 7/14/01 at 01:36 (053099)

Fran, I am not a doctor, but I'd like to comment that it may well be those long hikes that are holding your healing up. Of course it's worse afterwards: you're re-injuring the fascia with every step.

If you read the heel pain book on this site, and the message boards, you'll find that rest is the first line of treatment for pf. There are many people here who can tell you that by continuing to run once pf set in, they escalated a minor problem into a long-term, chronic, very painful condition.

Stay off your feet as much as you can, and read the heel pain book for information about pf and ideas about how to deal with it. Come back with any questions you have - we are here to help.