Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

lumbar stenosis

Posted by DOug on 7/13/01 at 11:46 (053039)

Can a lumbar stenosis cause heel pain (pain, burning, pins & needles). What is the treatment?

Re: lumbar stenosis

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:49 (053048)

Hi,

Lumber stenois can cause foot, leg, hip pain. The treatment is treat the local problem that may also be involved beside the lumbar stenois and epidural treatment for the back. Surgery for this stenosis is an option depending on the level of pain

DOug on 7/13/01 at 17:15 (053058)

Thank you for your reply. Could you expand on what you mean by 'the local problem'? What kind of problems could occur? My CAT scan showed the lumbar stenosis and I will be going for epidermal treatment but I live in Canada and that treatment will not occur for several weeks (our system, although universal, is slow and not nearly as efficient as in the USA). In the meantime, I would like to learn more about the whole thing. Maybe see a physio or chiropractor. Thanks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:54 (053072)

A chiropractor could do alot for you. If you have abnormal foot function then this can contribute to the stenosis. Have you tried taping your feet and or othosis. There is a product on this site called PowerSteps which is a very good inserts that can help any abnormal foot function. Have you had a gait analysis

DOug on 7/13/01 at 20:11 (053074)

I have used taping - does not help. Some problems with gait, minor, (slight overpronation). I usually wear neutral shoes. Recently, I tried orthotics but they didn't help. Had major muscle cramps on left side of my back a year ago. They return periodically but I have learned to control them with heat. I have had problems with low back pain for 20 years. For the past 3 years, I have had shin pain (although it is very infrequent since I developed heel pain about 10 months ago). It was diagnosed as shinsplints but I have been a runner for years and have experienced shin splints and I am certain the shin pain was not shin splints. My shins hurt to touch, even blankets on them caused me pain. I no longer run. I will check out PowerStep. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 13:49 (053048)

Hi,

Lumber stenois can cause foot, leg, hip pain. The treatment is treat the local problem that may also be involved beside the lumbar stenois and epidural treatment for the back. Surgery for this stenosis is an option depending on the level of pain

DOug on 7/13/01 at 17:15 (053058)

Thank you for your reply. Could you expand on what you mean by 'the local problem'? What kind of problems could occur? My CAT scan showed the lumbar stenosis and I will be going for epidermal treatment but I live in Canada and that treatment will not occur for several weeks (our system, although universal, is slow and not nearly as efficient as in the USA). In the meantime, I would like to learn more about the whole thing. Maybe see a physio or chiropractor. Thanks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:54 (053072)

A chiropractor could do alot for you. If you have abnormal foot function then this can contribute to the stenosis. Have you tried taping your feet and or othosis. There is a product on this site called PowerSteps which is a very good inserts that can help any abnormal foot function. Have you had a gait analysis

DOug on 7/13/01 at 20:11 (053074)

I have used taping - does not help. Some problems with gait, minor, (slight overpronation). I usually wear neutral shoes. Recently, I tried orthotics but they didn't help. Had major muscle cramps on left side of my back a year ago. They return periodically but I have learned to control them with heat. I have had problems with low back pain for 20 years. For the past 3 years, I have had shin pain (although it is very infrequent since I developed heel pain about 10 months ago). It was diagnosed as shinsplints but I have been a runner for years and have experienced shin splints and I am certain the shin pain was not shin splints. My shins hurt to touch, even blankets on them caused me pain. I no longer run. I will check out PowerStep. I appreciate your input. Thank you.