Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Teenager

Posted by Joyce k. on 7/13/01 at 18:22 (053063)

Hi I am 17 years old and have PF. I have had it for almost a year and have tried a lot of things. Every heel cup and pad, taping, orthotics, nightsplints, nothing is working or even helping a little. I am going a three sport athlete at my school, and I am hopefully planning on attending collge on a soccer scholarship, but I am afraid in not to long I won't be able to walk on my foot. What is next?

Re: Teenager

DR. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:51 (053071)

There is ESWT or surgery as the next option. How many doctors have evaluated your feet.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 09:21 (053117)

Joyce--

I'm not a doctor, but one thing that's very important for PF is to rest the fascia and to keep from aggravating the condition. I don't know what your three sports are, but I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them involves you being on your feet a lot. You'd be wise to find something else to replace any heavy feet activities until the PF has healed, or you could end up with a chronic condition. Running/walking etc while dealing with PF could explain why you haven't healed yet. I know it's hard to give up activities that you love, but it's the biggest thing you can do to help yourself heal. Biking and swimming are popular on this board because they allow you to exercise without straining an already painful condition. I'd also recommend you read the heel pain book on this site if you haven't already--there's lots of good info there, and maybe some things you haven't tried yet.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 11:46 (053133)

I have seen 2 doctors. My athletic training works with me every single day. We have tried to much. Ultrasound for weeks, hot/cold whirlpool. I just got a different night splint in yesterday. I can't take more than 2 weeks off which I have already done becuase like i said i am constantly playing a sport, either running cross country, playing basketball, or soccer. My soccer team is a select team and we travel the country almost every other weekend we are in a different state playing. I have heard so much bad about surgery, what if it screws me up and i cannot play in college?

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 11:49 (053134)

Thanks so much for advice. As a teenager taking time off is so hard. I have taken off two weeks here and there, but there is just no time. I travel the country with my soccer team, when I am not doing that I am on our schools basketball team and our cross country team!! I will look into that book. Thank you so much for giving me that advice!

Julie on 7/14/01 at 12:57 (053140)

Tracy, don't even mention the word surgery. It really is a last resort, to be done only after ALL conservative treatments have failed. Please read the heel pain book and inform yourself about conservative treatments (rest is the vital one) and get yourself healed so you can go back to all the things you love. Believe me, it will be worth taking care of it now so that you don't end up with a chronic painful condition.

Julie on 7/14/01 at 12:58 (053141)

Sorry: I meant Joyce, not Tracy.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/14/01 at 17:13 (053174)

Hi,

Why don't you contact my ESWT coordinators. We have been performing ESWT in over two hundred cases during the past eighteen months. You can either e-mail by using heelhelp@bee.net or call 1-856-478-2097. Ask for either Denise, Andi, or Meg. All are very helpful and will send you an excellent information packet and answer any and all questions you may have about ESWT
Again I am feel free to ask any questions

Re: cortisone shot

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 18:02 (053182)

I keep asking my doctors if they will give me a cortisone shot. But the response I keep getting is, your to young and it could harm you more than hurt you. Is this true?

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 18:32 (053187)

Joyce--

It's true that cortisone is a double-edged sword. It can be a great healer, but it can also weaken the injured tissue and/or the fat pad in your heel. I suspect that's why they don't want to try it. They also will, more than likely, only be of temporary help if you stay involved in heavy-duty weight-bearing sports.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 18:38 (053188)

I know we really sound like a bunch of downers, but do keep in mind that those of us who frequent the boards tend to be the ones with the chronic cases of PF. We don't want to see anyone end up where we have been, especially at your age. I would hate to think of you sacrificing your feet in order to keep playing now, and ending up with far more serious problems later on. Think of it as an investment in your future--nobody enjoys telling people they have to give up things they love, but the sooner you do, the sooner you'll heal and be able to go back to them.

Your body can't heal if you keep re-injuring it. As my PT said to me once, if you hurt your shoulder and someone kept punching it, you wouldn't expect it to heal. The same goes for your feet. They're the only ones you have, so it's important to take care of them. Hang in there!!

Re: How much time?

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 19:31 (053198)

Thanks for all your input. I think i am just so frustrated with all this. Soccer is so important for me and my future and money wise, I just don't want to take any crucial time off, although I think I will need to take more than two weeks off. How much time do you think is necessary??

Julie on 7/15/01 at 02:29 (053224)

Joyce, Nancy is spot on, but we both (we ALL) know how difficult it is for a young person to contemplate giving up the sports s/he loves. That's why I think Dr Zuckerman has twice suggested that you look into ESWT - if it works, it will get you back to playing soccer probably sooner than anything else. The downside is that unless your insurance will pay for it, it is expensive. But do get in touch with Dr Z's office and find out about it.

If you can't afford ESWT, or aren't a candidate for it, or decide not to have it for any reason, then do educate yourself about all the treatments that are there to be tried, and get healing. Young people heal much faster than old ones (i.e., whereas it took me almost a year to get rid of a not-too-bad case), it might take you a month or two. There's no saying. But you do have to back off impact sports for awhile.

Joyce on 7/15/01 at 11:05 (053249)

Ok,I will look into that all. Thanks again for all your help!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 16:36 (053279)

In addition I would like to add that cross training may help. Swimming or biking . Eliminate some of the practices and your time in the game may help also. But besides this ESWT is about the only thing I can think of

DR. Zuckerman on 7/13/01 at 19:51 (053071)

There is ESWT or surgery as the next option. How many doctors have evaluated your feet.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 09:21 (053117)

Joyce--

I'm not a doctor, but one thing that's very important for PF is to rest the fascia and to keep from aggravating the condition. I don't know what your three sports are, but I'd be willing to bet that at least one of them involves you being on your feet a lot. You'd be wise to find something else to replace any heavy feet activities until the PF has healed, or you could end up with a chronic condition. Running/walking etc while dealing with PF could explain why you haven't healed yet. I know it's hard to give up activities that you love, but it's the biggest thing you can do to help yourself heal. Biking and swimming are popular on this board because they allow you to exercise without straining an already painful condition. I'd also recommend you read the heel pain book on this site if you haven't already--there's lots of good info there, and maybe some things you haven't tried yet.

Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 11:46 (053133)

I have seen 2 doctors. My athletic training works with me every single day. We have tried to much. Ultrasound for weeks, hot/cold whirlpool. I just got a different night splint in yesterday. I can't take more than 2 weeks off which I have already done becuase like i said i am constantly playing a sport, either running cross country, playing basketball, or soccer. My soccer team is a select team and we travel the country almost every other weekend we are in a different state playing. I have heard so much bad about surgery, what if it screws me up and i cannot play in college?

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 11:49 (053134)

Thanks so much for advice. As a teenager taking time off is so hard. I have taken off two weeks here and there, but there is just no time. I travel the country with my soccer team, when I am not doing that I am on our schools basketball team and our cross country team!! I will look into that book. Thank you so much for giving me that advice!

Julie on 7/14/01 at 12:57 (053140)

Tracy, don't even mention the word surgery. It really is a last resort, to be done only after ALL conservative treatments have failed. Please read the heel pain book and inform yourself about conservative treatments (rest is the vital one) and get yourself healed so you can go back to all the things you love. Believe me, it will be worth taking care of it now so that you don't end up with a chronic painful condition.

Julie on 7/14/01 at 12:58 (053141)

Sorry: I meant Joyce, not Tracy.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/14/01 at 17:13 (053174)

Hi,

Why don't you contact my ESWT coordinators. We have been performing ESWT in over two hundred cases during the past eighteen months. You can either e-mail by using heelhelp@bee.net or call 1-856-478-2097. Ask for either Denise, Andi, or Meg. All are very helpful and will send you an excellent information packet and answer any and all questions you may have about ESWT
Again I am feel free to ask any questions

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 18:02 (053182)

I keep asking my doctors if they will give me a cortisone shot. But the response I keep getting is, your to young and it could harm you more than hurt you. Is this true?

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 18:32 (053187)

Joyce--

It's true that cortisone is a double-edged sword. It can be a great healer, but it can also weaken the injured tissue and/or the fat pad in your heel. I suspect that's why they don't want to try it. They also will, more than likely, only be of temporary help if you stay involved in heavy-duty weight-bearing sports.

Nancy N on 7/14/01 at 18:38 (053188)

I know we really sound like a bunch of downers, but do keep in mind that those of us who frequent the boards tend to be the ones with the chronic cases of PF. We don't want to see anyone end up where we have been, especially at your age. I would hate to think of you sacrificing your feet in order to keep playing now, and ending up with far more serious problems later on. Think of it as an investment in your future--nobody enjoys telling people they have to give up things they love, but the sooner you do, the sooner you'll heal and be able to go back to them.

Your body can't heal if you keep re-injuring it. As my PT said to me once, if you hurt your shoulder and someone kept punching it, you wouldn't expect it to heal. The same goes for your feet. They're the only ones you have, so it's important to take care of them. Hang in there!!

Joyce on 7/14/01 at 19:31 (053198)

Thanks for all your input. I think i am just so frustrated with all this. Soccer is so important for me and my future and money wise, I just don't want to take any crucial time off, although I think I will need to take more than two weeks off. How much time do you think is necessary??

Julie on 7/15/01 at 02:29 (053224)

Joyce, Nancy is spot on, but we both (we ALL) know how difficult it is for a young person to contemplate giving up the sports s/he loves. That's why I think Dr Zuckerman has twice suggested that you look into ESWT - if it works, it will get you back to playing soccer probably sooner than anything else. The downside is that unless your insurance will pay for it, it is expensive. But do get in touch with Dr Z's office and find out about it.

If you can't afford ESWT, or aren't a candidate for it, or decide not to have it for any reason, then do educate yourself about all the treatments that are there to be tried, and get healing. Young people heal much faster than old ones (i.e., whereas it took me almost a year to get rid of a not-too-bad case), it might take you a month or two. There's no saying. But you do have to back off impact sports for awhile.

Joyce on 7/15/01 at 11:05 (053249)

Ok,I will look into that all. Thanks again for all your help!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 16:36 (053279)

In addition I would like to add that cross training may help. Swimming or biking . Eliminate some of the practices and your time in the game may help also. But besides this ESWT is about the only thing I can think of