Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ossatron Treatment expectations

Posted by Tracey on 7/14/01 at 06:53 (053112)

3 week post ossatron treatment BOTH FEET
I would be very appreciative of any insight docs might have regarding the expectation I should have post Ossatron Treatment.
1st week post ossatron: no pain whatsoever, no stiffness in ankles or achilles area.
2nd week: stiffness in ankles and some tightness rendering mild pain in achilles area
3rd week: TEARS from pain. Night, mornings are reminding me of pre ossatron condition, Actually this pain is a little more intense. Tightness, stiffness in achilles area, mild heel pain, throbbing ankle pain at night in bed. My instinct is to sleep on the floor with my feet against the wall to prevent foot drop. The foot drop that naturally occurs laying down, causes the most throbbing. I have a high pain tolerance. I am hopeful this is a part of the normal healing process.
I have been wearing my orthotics and support shoes. I am wondering if I Should begin any stretching exercises. I am not allowed anti-inflammatories at this time per podiatrist instructions. He has been doing the best he can do, but I would like new insight. Someone to shed light on my progression post ossatron and the likelyhood that if this fails, should I repeat ossatron a 2nd time?
I WILL REMAIN OPTOMISTIC UNTIL THE 12 WEEK PERIOD IS OVER. WOULD A MEDICAL DOC SPECIALIZING IN THIS AREA, PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS 3RD WEEK IS NORMAL AND WHAT TO CONTINUE TO EXPECT/HOW TO HELP MY RECOVERY.

I have had P.F. twice. 1st episode, 7 years ago, was treated for a year by an orthopedic surgeon. His dx. after xray was P.F. at the beginning. He did the gammit from oral anti-inflammatorries, cortisone injections and stretching. He finally did aa bone scan which reveal marginal fracture of calcaneus. I was casted for 6 weeks. Continuing without improvement I switched to a podiatrist and was molded for personoal orthotics and improved with 4 weeks. I ceased playing soccer to avoid reinjury. 15 months ago P.F. returned full blast. I have been treated by the same podiatrist who is following protocol for the P.F. All conservative treatment with no relief to both feet. Reinjury occured while running 3 miles ea. morning with good support shoes and in relatively good weight range.

Re: Ossatron Treatment expectations

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053131)

I have my patients start stretching immediately after the treatment and continually. I also do not have them return to orthotics until about 1 month after. I use ice for the first few days and no bare feet. Shoes should be cushioned with an elevated heel (no flats) and good heel support.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/14/01 at 15:47 (053167)

So was a stress fracture ruled out before the ESWT treatment. May need to have work up again for stress fractures. Move your feet up and down non-weight bearing as much as you can. Unna boot and or taping could be added
No long walks or mall shopping.

Tracey on 7/14/01 at 20:12 (053204)

I will move my feet up and down several times a day. The boot only works till I turn over in bed. I am a stomach sleeper, if I wear the boot.... I don't sleep (I have to pick my poison ) I read on the foot trainer, your testimonial. I purchased one today. When I get it, can I start using it three weeks post ossatron? Xray did not reveal a fx, no bone scan was suggested. Truely, sx were classical p.f. in the beginning. The tightness of the calf and achilles tendon occured while trying to avoid weight bearing on the painful heel, I think. I do wonder if there is more that only the p.f. at this time. Due to the pounding nature of a pronated runner, I wonder if I developed some arthritis in the ankle joint. If I made my own dx, here's what I think: p.f., arthritis, achilles tendonitis. But I am only a nurse, I'll leave the dx. up to you folks. I do not allow this condition to rule my life. My husband and three children are important to me and I have to keep up with them. It has only been painful, I do what I want to do other than long walks or running. I do not like to shop, but I do have to work. I am wearing my tennis shoes with my dresses to work (real cute). I change out of them to low heels for presentations or business meetings. Thank you for responding to the messages on this board. This is a chronic painful condition that can be quite depressing. Thank God for his continuous flow of strength. I will keep my head up looking for a better tomorrow.
Tracey

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 08:47 (053237)

May need to get into a physical therapy program asap. Becareful with the personal foot trainer. Don't over do it. Great device but don't over do it.

Re: What about expectations????

TC on 7/15/01 at 10:30 (053247)

Can you answer the question about the expectations in week 3? Is this normal, or not? Why would this be happening...I mean why would the pain be worse? For as much money as we pay for the treatment, we want to know why it didn't work and why we are feeling worse. Please answer this question, it is legitimate.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 13:37 (053256)

I haven't used the ossatron and therefore can't make comments on your specific case.

In general with the ossatron the pain can be worse at times. Between week six and week twelve is the time frame where most healing will take place.

I hope that this is what answer you are looking for.

Lisa C on 7/16/01 at 01:41 (053314)

Dr. Z I thought that you used the ossatron & the orbasone.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 10:36 (053349)

Still waiting to get the machine . It is suppose to be here the end of this month but that was told to me last month. We have an a session with the machine on July 21. What I am saying is that until I feel the amount of shock pressure that is going into the foot there is no way I can tell the power of this machine. I am using the orbasone on all of my cases .

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/14/01 at hrmin (053131)

I have my patients start stretching immediately after the treatment and continually. I also do not have them return to orthotics until about 1 month after. I use ice for the first few days and no bare feet. Shoes should be cushioned with an elevated heel (no flats) and good heel support.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/14/01 at 15:47 (053167)

So was a stress fracture ruled out before the ESWT treatment. May need to have work up again for stress fractures. Move your feet up and down non-weight bearing as much as you can. Unna boot and or taping could be added
No long walks or mall shopping.

Tracey on 7/14/01 at 20:12 (053204)

I will move my feet up and down several times a day. The boot only works till I turn over in bed. I am a stomach sleeper, if I wear the boot.... I don't sleep (I have to pick my poison ) I read on the foot trainer, your testimonial. I purchased one today. When I get it, can I start using it three weeks post ossatron? Xray did not reveal a fx, no bone scan was suggested. Truely, sx were classical p.f. in the beginning. The tightness of the calf and achilles tendon occured while trying to avoid weight bearing on the painful heel, I think. I do wonder if there is more that only the p.f. at this time. Due to the pounding nature of a pronated runner, I wonder if I developed some arthritis in the ankle joint. If I made my own dx, here's what I think: p.f., arthritis, achilles tendonitis. But I am only a nurse, I'll leave the dx. up to you folks. I do not allow this condition to rule my life. My husband and three children are important to me and I have to keep up with them. It has only been painful, I do what I want to do other than long walks or running. I do not like to shop, but I do have to work. I am wearing my tennis shoes with my dresses to work (real cute). I change out of them to low heels for presentations or business meetings. Thank you for responding to the messages on this board. This is a chronic painful condition that can be quite depressing. Thank God for his continuous flow of strength. I will keep my head up looking for a better tomorrow.
Tracey

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 08:47 (053237)

May need to get into a physical therapy program asap. Becareful with the personal foot trainer. Don't over do it. Great device but don't over do it.

TC on 7/15/01 at 10:30 (053247)

Can you answer the question about the expectations in week 3? Is this normal, or not? Why would this be happening...I mean why would the pain be worse? For as much money as we pay for the treatment, we want to know why it didn't work and why we are feeling worse. Please answer this question, it is legitimate.

Thank you for your anticipated response.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 13:37 (053256)

I haven't used the ossatron and therefore can't make comments on your specific case.

In general with the ossatron the pain can be worse at times. Between week six and week twelve is the time frame where most healing will take place.

I hope that this is what answer you are looking for.

Lisa C on 7/16/01 at 01:41 (053314)

Dr. Z I thought that you used the ossatron & the orbasone.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 10:36 (053349)

Still waiting to get the machine . It is suppose to be here the end of this month but that was told to me last month. We have an a session with the machine on July 21. What I am saying is that until I feel the amount of shock pressure that is going into the foot there is no way I can tell the power of this machine. I am using the orbasone on all of my cases .