Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

If you MUST do dark sox, then........

Posted by JudyS on 7/14/01 at 11:16 (053129)

OK Nancy and Julie, if you insist on doing dark sox with Birks, then I have a proposal for you...but first, a story;
When my son was 17 my hubby and I left him alone for a weekend while we traveled to a bowl football game. He called us in our car on the trip home to forewarn us that he'd dyed his hair green. I thought my heart would drop out of my body when I saw it....it wasn't just green, it was bright, bright, bright, neon-green! It was truly a site. That was at Christmas break and we'd planned to do some California-college tours during that time. While on the road with him, we'd stopped at the Monterey Pier to buy some (wonderful)salmon sandwiches. People were REALLY staring at our son....oh geez it was embarrassing! Now, being the trooper mom that I am, I stuck right with him.....but my husband kept walking about 10-15 feet behind us! No guts, that man!
So my proposal is this, if you insist on those dark sox, then please, when you visit, could we walk about 10-15 feet apart? :)
(P.S. - he was told the hair had to be back to normal before returning to school after X-mas break.....and he mysteriously had no problem with that directive!)

Re: If you MUST do dark sox, then........

Laurie R on 7/14/01 at 16:33 (053171)

Hello Everyone, I have to agree with judy. Maybe it is just a CA thing ,but here you 'ONLY' wear WHITE socks with any type of sandels .. No matter the brand. I have never seen anyone wear colored socks with sandels. I remember back in the day when I was just a teen ,it was only white scoks .... Just my two cents worth..Laurie R

john h on 7/14/01 at 19:11 (053194)

actually you girls might look sort of good in knee high socks with your birks. any of you do that? anyway you cut it guys are going to come of as sissies in short pants and birks (even though i do it). might just as well wear suspenders while we are at it.

Julie on 7/15/01 at 02:58 (053227)

Judy, my socks are not dark. They are bright red. Ankle socks, John, no knee-highs. Laurie, why do you think all you Californians are fixated on white socks? What's wrong with colours? I am confused. Please enlighten me.

johnh on 7/15/01 at 09:02 (053240)

it is all explained in that old song Julie 'California Dreaming'!

nancy s. on 7/15/01 at 09:47 (053243)

interesting story, judy!
laurie, i am shocked, SHOCKED.
john, julie is right on this: no knee socks, no -- ankle socks, and the more the merrier, and the more colorful or the darker, the better. i do have some Red Sox. i also have many black socks, some with sparkles, some with CATS, some with wolves, and some with moose. i also have green socks and blue socks and purple socks and brown socks and Indian yellow socks. i have striped socks and polka-dot socks. i have plaid socks, and flowered socks.
i have no white socks.
nancy

Laurie R on 7/15/01 at 13:06 (053254)

Nancy youare to funny...... What do you mean you are Shocked???? Ok here is the deal on the sox's ... Colored sox's are cool ,we have all kinds of sox's black the print sox's ,ok these are all fine to go with pants . Now for sandels you only wear white sox's I have no clue why you just do .If you wear colored or printed sox's with sandles 'here' you look funny...like I said it must be a CA thing..... It does sound a little crazy on what color sox's you should wear... Everybody just wears white sox's ..Oh yeah they have to be new not the old ones with little lint balls on them.I just got 6 new pairs of whote sox's the other night .My old ones were getting little lint balls on them....

I think this is so funny about sox's ..I never even thought about it till you guys brought it up.... So I'm sure that Julie and Nancy are in style where they live .. Just remember when you come to CA bring your white sox's...

Laurie R

Donna M on 7/15/01 at 14:04 (053260)

Laurie, you may be in CA. but the same goes for here in Alabama! You only wear white socks with sandels, that is 'if' you 'have' to wear socks at all. As for colors, that is strictly taboo!! Occasionally you may see someone in colored socks with shorts, but if you do, you can also tell by the way they are dressed, style does't have a role in their life! lol
Some young girls and teenagers here even wear the higher type, but not exactly knee socks, with their shorts.
Also like you said, colored socks are fine with pants. Isn't it amazing how others can influence how we dress, and how we feel, if we don't do what 'someone else' considers the norm?
Just had to let you know Laurie that you aren't alone in the world of white socks!! lol

Donna

Tammie on 7/15/01 at 14:44 (053263)

Same here in buckeye state, only white socks with sandles!!!!! May wear colored with shorts and tennis shoes tho! LOL tho I know someone could start a new fashion statement,!!!! To me I could not care much as fashion is not my deal, tho my kids well they would not let me with them if I chose to wear color socks with sandles! Anyone who wants to wear white or colored socks can visit me I dont care about socks hehehe!

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:09 (053268)

and nancy if you want to be in the 'in crowd' in california be sure they are Thorlo white socks. those cat socks in your picture just is not going to get it.

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:15 (053270)

ok you fashion queens! if i wear my black birk sandals with long pants tell me what is wrong with wearing black socks. you would look somewhat like gomer pyle with white socks and long pants (maybe not in alabama). yes gomer did wear white socks. i wear my birks to work in a business setting and you bet with my long pants they are black. normally i wear no socks with birks and bermuda shorts but since i am going to tape my foot i will wear white socks with the tape.

Julie on 7/15/01 at 16:27 (053275)

White socks, black socks, John - I know you look great in all socks. Or no socks.

Black Birks. Now that's an idea...

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:40 (053281)

ok! taped one foot using scotts instructions. have had it on all day but have not been on my feet much. will compare the taped foot with the other foot tomorrow. i am not sure i did this right but i did dorsiflex the foot when putting the tape on. my good tape has not arrived yet so i am using run of the mill tape.

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 00:49 (053310)

miss laurie, YOU are too funny. little lint balls on the socks! i never even looked for them -- i never knew they existed -- and, knowing me, i probably won't start searching for them now. what i want to know is, why do you have to go out and buy new socks after the older socks develop little lint balls? can't the little lint balls just be pulled off?
nancy
p.s. ellen, i hope you're paying attention here. i think you were appreciating recently the broad range of education one can acquire here at heelspurs.com, and this thread should go right up there in the Extremely Important category, don't you think?

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 01:04 (053311)

Ok Nancy , you are the one tha tis fuuny , you make me laugh out loud. I think this while thing about what kind of sox's people wear is funny all by it's self. Ok I have this thing with sox's anyways ,I can not wear stained sox's or sox's with lint balls. The lint balls are from the dryer ,and of course if I see them on my sox's they look dirty to me . I still will wear them in the house ,but not out somewhere. Plus my Angle likes to take my sox's and wears them outside with nothing else. She can make me crazy ...You can't pull the lint balls off their is to many of them.I know you can sure tell that I have nothing better to do then look to see if I have lint balls on my sox's ..... Nancy if you ever come here to visit me ( which I hope you do someday ) you can wear any color or kind of sox's here. Their is jsut something about a brand new pair of white sox's .....

I hope you are feeling better .... Your funny Nancy .....Your friend ,Laurie

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 01:08 (053312)

john, the 'in crowd' anywhere scares me.
by the way, as i write, black boston birks are on their way to me from germany. i was surprised and pleased to read that you wear black birks also.

Lisa C on 7/16/01 at 01:28 (053313)

I live in California & I have to back up Laurie R. White socks only with sandals!!! Funky print socks are cool too, but only under long pants!

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 02:04 (053315)

Hi Lisa , Did you ever get my email I sent you?

Re: Let's change the thread title - LINT BALLS

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:02 (053320)

Laurie, I have a couple of pairs of socks that accompanied me to India and their lint balls have got little black tips at the ends of them (not sure from what, probably melted road tar). I still wear them (can't bear to throw them out as they remind me of India).

Re: In Crowds and Black Birks

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:04 (053321)

Nancy, the in crowd scares me too. Never been part of one. Don't care.

Now I'm beginning to fancy a pair of black Birks. Shall we form a little Black Birk In Crowd? (Of course anyone at heelspurs.com is welcome to join.)

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:06 (053322)

...in fact is automatically a member of it.

Re: little lint balls

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 07:44 (053326)

laurie, you got me curious and so this morning i have closely examined the socks i wore yesterday. they are black with some silver sparkles on them. i wore them with a big black shirt-dress, about the only thing i can get over my shoulders these days, plus my brown boston birks.
i think i see a few little lint balls on them -- not sure -- they're minuscule -- i'd have to go into the other room and get the big magnifying glass, and right now i'm too lazy to do that. what i see more of is many cat hairs!
but my lesson to you, which i know you will not follow because you live in california, is that if you'd wear darker socks, you'd never see the little lint balls or anything else and then wouldn't have to worry about them.
thank you for saying i'm welcome in your state no matter what color socks i wear. i'm afraid i'm not about to change, especially for a tiny state like california.
have a great day, white socks and all!
nancy

Re: If you MUST do dark sox, then........This thread has to contain the best meds ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Laughter!!!!!!!!!!

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 08:35 (053330)

This is the best thread i have read in a long time lol, I have totaly enjoyed the good nature of it!!! To think a what we might think is a small issue of color of sox could relly be so different in so many different areas, and to think it could bring laughter to all , heh this get my vote for a pain reliever lol! Heh, do you think it is marketable?Laughter in a bottle , hmmm a pair of white sox ,verse, what black sox or I like the sounds of the black with sparkeles, well we are trying to get thru tough days in life it is wonderful that we get to enjoy fun and laughing people !!!!!SO good to hear laughter!!!! So now on with it when we are done with sox what can it be next? We have to continue as it is a great lift in life! Hugs to all I am going to have to buy a sandle so that I might try white sox and try dark and maybe some sparkles lol! Time to throw the tennis shoes under bed and find some sandles so I might have fun! Hugs to all and Have a GREAT day!

Re: If you MUST do dark sox, then........This thread has to contain the best meds ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Laughter!!!!!!!!!!

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 08:53 (053333)

My favorite little white socks have a nautical theme, reflecting my interest in ships. I bought them on the Coast Guard's tall ship, the Eagle, when it was in town for Op Sail 2000. On one side, the cuff has little embroidered boats. When you turn them inside out, the cuff says 'U.S. Coast Guard.' How cool is that!

Didn't wear them this weekend, however, when I had another fashion comeuppance. I was given free passes to the Chippendale's Review, and took some gal pals with me. I discovered, one, I have absolutely nothing in my closet that remotely resembles a 'club' outfit. (Though at least I didn't wear a little white sweater with pearls like one of my friends.) Two -- white socks with teva's (my closet's closet approximation to a club shoe) -- don't make a sexy outfit. Three, the male dancers at Chippendale's don't wear socks at all.
ellen

john h on 7/16/01 at 08:56 (053334)

i have two pair of black birk sandals. basic black should be in everyones wardrobe.

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 09:23 (053336)

ooooh, ellen, do you live in boston by any chance? are you talking the chippendales place on route 1 in saugus? i used to drive by there. i noticed it. i never went in, though. i'm shocked that they don't wear socks, and thank you for the info.
tammie, you're so cheerful anyway that i had no clue our little discussion here could make you even cheerier. but that's good! cheer on!
best,
nancy

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 09:27 (053338)

Nope, this was the New York version. Wonder if the guys in Boston are cuter?

Re: Thanks Nancy s, lol but oh I hope I am not that

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 09:57 (053340)

Oh my Nancy I hope that i am not that sappy sickly cheery heheheheh, lol I do try to be upbeat as I like to make people feel good, lol but if you knew the (real me) lol I am not always so upbeat hehehehehe! Just ask my daughter lol n fact no dont ask her she would tell you! Thanks tho really you guys here are great, I dont know what I would do without ALL of you! You have taught me many things and I only hope I can be a bit more patient cause that is my FAULT lol no patience! Hugs to all of you and it is going to be a hot one today here!

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 12:45 (053359)

Ok Nancy you are really going to think I'm a nut case now . I do have black socks , I used to have to wear them when I was working. We had to wear black pants and of course black sox.... But the problem I had with the black sox were they would also get little lint balls . They would be a gray color. I think it depends on the kind of socks ...

I agree with Tammie 100% ,I think this thread has been the best in a long time. I laugh at just he thought of it ...So may of us are taking about sox..Plus we all get a long so well ..I think we all needed a good laugh ..So thank you to who ever started this ...

Ok I have to get ready for PT,and yes i will be wearing my white sox.....Ha Ha Ha ..Laurie R

Re: little lint balls Attack them with , lol

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 13:26 (053361)

Now heh, I was doing my laundry today and will you be happy to hear I checked socks today for lint balls lol lol and was appaled to see that tho not may dark socks in laundry they had little fuzzies to hehehe they apeared to be grayish in color but there, oh and the white which were of course many socks of that color some to ahd fuzzies and i sat there picking them off and to all who might care I took a razor and shaved them off now how do you like that for the bored silly woman that I am, sad huh! Shaving fuszzies off now, but it worked!!!!!!!! LOL LOL I am having a amusing time with this thread, I was checking other laundry to and have noticed that undergarments of choice also get the fuzzies hehehe be looking for them friends, imagine me with my little blue razor attacking the fuzzies hehehehe I think I went mad help ! LOL Take care all!

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 16:06 (053380)

ok, laurie and tammie, if you two can see little lint balls on black socks, even if the little lint balls are gray, i'd say you're really into this hobby. i'm willing to help you keep your hobby going by sending you our laundry from here, and you can pick and slice to your hearts' content. (sorry, the pay is low!)
just let me know where and how often! (suggestion: once a week?)
nancy

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 16:08 (053381)

Tammie I think we all are going nutz over htis. It is so funny everytime I think abou tit. I jus tcame home from PT and I had to check the board ... I jsut had to see if anyone else checks for the little lint balls... LOL.So the razor works well , I have never tried this before. But you bet I will try ,I don't have the patience to pick the little balls off by hand. I rather just but new ones.... Laurie

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 16:12 (053382)

Nancy , I am still laughing from Tammie's post and now yours.... The more I read about this the less pain I.m having ..This is so good for sore feet. Anyways here is the deal .. With new white sox you can wash them a few times without getting the little lint balls . Than after a while the come. I just have this thing for new white socks ,they look so fresh . Now I'm being serious . Oh God I need to get a life....... HELP ME PLEASE !!!!! Ha Ha Ha ....... Laurie R

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 16:57 (053388)

laurie, i think this could be your post-pf career: you could be one of those women on tv commercials, gushing over some laundry detergent that keeps the white socks fresh-looking and lint-ball-free. you have the looks, you have the enthusiasm -- go for it!
nancy

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 17:18 (053390)

Thank 's Nancy I knew someone would find me a job I would be good at... And I won't have to be on my feet... Ha Ha Ha .. Now for the looks I don't think so......But maybe they could just show my feet.I always keep my toes painted... I have a french manicure on them right now. I don't go to the nail shop anymore I do it myself. After seeing I think on 20/20 how dirty the shops are...... Laurie R

Re: little lint balls/ oh yes I see her in lights/////

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 19:51 (053404)

OH for sure you would be a beautiful info mercial , lol now ladies do u have fuzzies on your white socks? Are they getting nubbies well we can't have that now can we so look buy new white socks they are fresh they are neet they are nubbless lol and if that does not work try a razor blade to take them off lol but please careful of the fingers as blood does take away from the fresh white socks heheheheh ROFL I think we have all gone insane or is it the heat?Oh yes send me the nubbies hehehehe and yes Laurie you can be the tv person you are simply beautiful!!!!! Take care all hugs got to send daughter out the door she is going away for night YIPPI I get the computer later!

wendyn on 7/16/01 at 22:41 (053426)

This thread is exactly why Scott was kind enough (annoyed enough?) to create the social board.

You guys crack me up.

I wear birks with no socks in the summer. I would like to see any one of you make it through a Canadian winter in birks and bare feet though.

In the winter I wear socks - coloured or otherwise with my Birks. If I wear black pants, I wear black birks and black socks.

Maybe by this winter I will be able to wear a normal shoe - but the last two winters it's been sandals. Birks have no grips on ice.

You want to see bad fashion?

When my feet hurt A LOT I couldn't go without the socks because I needed the extra padding. One day I wore a lovely black silk top, a cute short black skirt, nylons, black ankle socks and black birks. To work. In the middle of winter. No - I didn't really care, didn't have a choice. I could have been in one of those magazines where they have fasion Do's and fashion Dont's - I would have headlined as a big DON'T!

Re: Re:/Then I must ThankU scott for allowing some fun and good laughter

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 22:57 (053427)

Well Thank u scott then for allowing us to enjoy a good laugh and kind humor when most of us are consumed with pain! It is good to get some humor in our life it lets us remember that the feet canot rule EVERYTHING we do !!!!!!
Well Wendyn, I don't know about those canadian winters much but I have a granny who lives in nova scotia , she says they get mighty cold. I live where it gets cold also and I cant walk in boots let alone sandles lol I would flop for sure I am quite the clutsy pal! So am proud of you that you have good balance! Fashion is a personal statement my teens tell me you set your own and it is better, who wants the same as eveyone else , they seem to think it is dull but then I know that at least one of them is comformed by peers lol! Take care and have a good night or morning as it is past midnight !

JudyS on 7/16/01 at 23:11 (053428)

did you hear that, Laurie? We're an In Crowd! Cool! I always wanted to be an in crowd. Here's a thrifty fashion white sox tip: buy them in bulk at Target..... :) (sorry John, it cost too much to own property around here so we can't afford Thorlo's!!)

JudyS on 7/16/01 at 23:13 (053429)

I'm thinking that black Birks would definately be cool...what style, John?

Scott R on 7/16/01 at 23:47 (053431)

'This thread is exactly why Scott was kind enough (annoyed enough?) to create the social board.'

Yes, 'annoyed enough' was the correct term here :)

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:25 (053450)

You can have my laundry too.

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:28 (053452)

All together now John: let's hear it for....ARIZONAS!!!

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 06:19 (053453)

but julie, your laundry might be more difficult for them, since the little lint balls on your socks have tar from india on them. i'm sorry, i just had to point this out in order to be fair. i hope it doesn't result in no free laundry for you, though.
nancy

Julie on 7/17/01 at 08:21 (053459)

Well ok Nancy. I'll keep my Indian socks here. Don't think I'd let them out of my sight anyway. Those black-tipped little lint balls are far too precious.

john h on 7/17/01 at 10:08 (053475)

Tammie: have you been to Nova Scotia? i spent a lot of time in Goose Bay, Labrador and Harmon, New Foundland . Mukaluks were the order of the day for footware in those places. Probably only Canadians are familiar with Mukaluks which are not very fashionable.

john h on 7/17/01 at 10:16 (053477)

i made a comment about a couple of girls making fashion statements at the health club by wearing long socks and then pushing them down and bunching them up. low and behold i looked and judy and nancy s picture on the board and there was judy with the same sock look. well done judy. you da woman!

BrianG on 7/17/01 at 13:07 (053486)

Laurie, you little Angel is not going to be too happy you are telling everyone that she is running around outside with nothing on but Birks :*)

BCG

wendyn on 7/17/01 at 13:58 (053497)

Get with the program John - those push down socks have been 'in' for about 10 years now. Must always push the socks down. Always.

Re: Scott

wendyn on 7/17/01 at 14:02 (053498)

For someone I've never met face to face - I think I have you figured out pretty good. ;)

Although I can't understand WHY you wouldn't think discussion about lint balls on socks rates as important medical dialogue worth archiving in some very valuable expense storage system.

Re: My secret's out.......

JudyS on 7/17/01 at 14:13 (053500)

I didn't want anyone to be envious so I hadn't mentioned that I was the famous West Coast sox Fashion Consultant hired at John H's club in Little Rock. But they still didn't pay me enough to be able to purchase Thorlos!

john h on 7/17/01 at 16:45 (053517)

judy: your thorlos will be in the mail soon!

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 16:46 (053518)

Hi Brian , I think you have me confussed with an other post. I never said that Angel was running around outside with nothing on but Birks... She does not even own a pair... I don't even have birks... Laurie R

Re: I'm loosing my mind !

BrianG on 7/17/01 at 18:23 (053526)

Your right Laurie, and now I can't find the message I was looking at. I'm either loosing my mind, or the meds are finally kicking in after 3-4 years :*) Sorry bout dat.

BCG

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 18:29 (053527)

no brian, i think you're not losing your mind, because i remember something like that that laurie wrote. but i think it was laurie's old white socks with litte lint balls on them that angel wears outside. oh now i can't remember myself -- but there was something like that -- and because this is so important, i'm going to search for it this very evening!
nancy

Re: If you MUST do dark sox, then........ -- this is the one, laurie

nancy s. - ok brian and laurie, here it is on 7/17/01 at 18:33 (053528)

take a gander.

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 18:35 (053529)

Ok you two ,I rememebr now what you are taking about.. Boy Brian you made me think that i was losing my mind but not remembering. I said that Angel wears my white sox outside ,but she does wear clothes too... She steels my sox then she is outside in them with no shoes on ,so of course the sox are all stained..... Brian you are to sweet to be losing your mind. I know I have lost mine already...... Laurie R

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 18:36 (053530)

Their is no message Nancy....

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 18:47 (053532)

it didn't come up in the right place in the thread. i don't know why.
laurie, it is in your message of 7/16/01 at 01:04.
that will be $50 for the research please.
nancy

Nancy N on 7/17/01 at 19:00 (053533)

Nancy, I am so glad to see that your frozen shoulder has not frozen your sense of humor!!!

Re: I've got it back now, my mind that is......

BrianG on 7/18/01 at 06:07 (053557)

I was thinking socks, but wrote Birks. I guess I now have another ailment to add to my long list of hurts: Altzheimers !!!! :*)
And yes Laurie, I really did know what you meant, hahaaa

BCG

Re: oh brain I can

tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:09 (053630)

Brian I can help you there that is what I do best help with the alzh. LOL that is my job oh boy I CAN really get back to it ! Even here! LOL Dont worry I have allot of patience my friend hehehe just dont read any of my posts where I am loosing it cause I cant do what i want to lol! Now what can I help you with do you know if you have fuzzies on YOUR socks lol? No just joking I had to get in on this as this is been the best and lightest heart and pain relieving conversation I have expieranced! Take care and glad to see you !

Tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:13 (053631)

It is great to laugh isnt it?ROFL again and again! Heh does this mean we have really lost it cause we laugh over such a thing as fuzzsies or white/ colored socks? If so reserve my room and I want a big room so I may pace as when I am nervouse or bored is my all time thing! And oh yes I have a necesity of having my diet coke to and yeah I know it is not good for me but oh well I am not giving that up to! LOL any one joining me ?

Re: Scott Yes

Tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:22 (053633)

Really now if you could bottle what this does for people you could really be a rich fellow!!!!! Laughter is the best medicine and it is free! But maybe you could put a better name on it like hmmmm fuzzies in a bottle, or maybe white vs colored socks. Really you must be a very wonderful person to be so dedicated to making this site for people to come to! I had never been to anything like this before, nor could I who am almost computer illiterate as they come imagine how much work this is for you! I am sorry for that but am thankful that you have made a home for people like me who was overwelmed and happened to stumble here! And you had wonderful people here who welcomed me and took me under there wings to show me there Is more then information here! Thanks as I do not believe I have ever told you this before!

Laurie R on 7/14/01 at 16:33 (053171)

Hello Everyone, I have to agree with judy. Maybe it is just a CA thing ,but here you 'ONLY' wear WHITE socks with any type of sandels .. No matter the brand. I have never seen anyone wear colored socks with sandels. I remember back in the day when I was just a teen ,it was only white scoks .... Just my two cents worth..Laurie R

john h on 7/14/01 at 19:11 (053194)

actually you girls might look sort of good in knee high socks with your birks. any of you do that? anyway you cut it guys are going to come of as sissies in short pants and birks (even though i do it). might just as well wear suspenders while we are at it.

Julie on 7/15/01 at 02:58 (053227)

Judy, my socks are not dark. They are bright red. Ankle socks, John, no knee-highs. Laurie, why do you think all you Californians are fixated on white socks? What's wrong with colours? I am confused. Please enlighten me.

johnh on 7/15/01 at 09:02 (053240)

it is all explained in that old song Julie 'California Dreaming'!

nancy s. on 7/15/01 at 09:47 (053243)

interesting story, judy!
laurie, i am shocked, SHOCKED.
john, julie is right on this: no knee socks, no -- ankle socks, and the more the merrier, and the more colorful or the darker, the better. i do have some Red Sox. i also have many black socks, some with sparkles, some with CATS, some with wolves, and some with moose. i also have green socks and blue socks and purple socks and brown socks and Indian yellow socks. i have striped socks and polka-dot socks. i have plaid socks, and flowered socks.
i have no white socks.
nancy

Laurie R on 7/15/01 at 13:06 (053254)

Nancy youare to funny...... What do you mean you are Shocked???? Ok here is the deal on the sox's ... Colored sox's are cool ,we have all kinds of sox's black the print sox's ,ok these are all fine to go with pants . Now for sandels you only wear white sox's I have no clue why you just do .If you wear colored or printed sox's with sandles 'here' you look funny...like I said it must be a CA thing..... It does sound a little crazy on what color sox's you should wear... Everybody just wears white sox's ..Oh yeah they have to be new not the old ones with little lint balls on them.I just got 6 new pairs of whote sox's the other night .My old ones were getting little lint balls on them....

I think this is so funny about sox's ..I never even thought about it till you guys brought it up.... So I'm sure that Julie and Nancy are in style where they live .. Just remember when you come to CA bring your white sox's...

Laurie R

Donna M on 7/15/01 at 14:04 (053260)

Laurie, you may be in CA. but the same goes for here in Alabama! You only wear white socks with sandels, that is 'if' you 'have' to wear socks at all. As for colors, that is strictly taboo!! Occasionally you may see someone in colored socks with shorts, but if you do, you can also tell by the way they are dressed, style does't have a role in their life! lol
Some young girls and teenagers here even wear the higher type, but not exactly knee socks, with their shorts.
Also like you said, colored socks are fine with pants. Isn't it amazing how others can influence how we dress, and how we feel, if we don't do what 'someone else' considers the norm?
Just had to let you know Laurie that you aren't alone in the world of white socks!! lol

Donna

Tammie on 7/15/01 at 14:44 (053263)

Same here in buckeye state, only white socks with sandles!!!!! May wear colored with shorts and tennis shoes tho! LOL tho I know someone could start a new fashion statement,!!!! To me I could not care much as fashion is not my deal, tho my kids well they would not let me with them if I chose to wear color socks with sandles! Anyone who wants to wear white or colored socks can visit me I dont care about socks hehehe!

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:09 (053268)

and nancy if you want to be in the 'in crowd' in california be sure they are Thorlo white socks. those cat socks in your picture just is not going to get it.

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:15 (053270)

ok you fashion queens! if i wear my black birk sandals with long pants tell me what is wrong with wearing black socks. you would look somewhat like gomer pyle with white socks and long pants (maybe not in alabama). yes gomer did wear white socks. i wear my birks to work in a business setting and you bet with my long pants they are black. normally i wear no socks with birks and bermuda shorts but since i am going to tape my foot i will wear white socks with the tape.

Julie on 7/15/01 at 16:27 (053275)

White socks, black socks, John - I know you look great in all socks. Or no socks.

Black Birks. Now that's an idea...

john h on 7/15/01 at 16:40 (053281)

ok! taped one foot using scotts instructions. have had it on all day but have not been on my feet much. will compare the taped foot with the other foot tomorrow. i am not sure i did this right but i did dorsiflex the foot when putting the tape on. my good tape has not arrived yet so i am using run of the mill tape.

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 00:49 (053310)

miss laurie, YOU are too funny. little lint balls on the socks! i never even looked for them -- i never knew they existed -- and, knowing me, i probably won't start searching for them now. what i want to know is, why do you have to go out and buy new socks after the older socks develop little lint balls? can't the little lint balls just be pulled off?
nancy
p.s. ellen, i hope you're paying attention here. i think you were appreciating recently the broad range of education one can acquire here at heelspurs.com, and this thread should go right up there in the Extremely Important category, don't you think?

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 01:04 (053311)

Ok Nancy , you are the one tha tis fuuny , you make me laugh out loud. I think this while thing about what kind of sox's people wear is funny all by it's self. Ok I have this thing with sox's anyways ,I can not wear stained sox's or sox's with lint balls. The lint balls are from the dryer ,and of course if I see them on my sox's they look dirty to me . I still will wear them in the house ,but not out somewhere. Plus my Angle likes to take my sox's and wears them outside with nothing else. She can make me crazy ...You can't pull the lint balls off their is to many of them.I know you can sure tell that I have nothing better to do then look to see if I have lint balls on my sox's ..... Nancy if you ever come here to visit me ( which I hope you do someday ) you can wear any color or kind of sox's here. Their is jsut something about a brand new pair of white sox's .....

I hope you are feeling better .... Your funny Nancy .....Your friend ,Laurie

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 01:08 (053312)

john, the 'in crowd' anywhere scares me.
by the way, as i write, black boston birks are on their way to me from germany. i was surprised and pleased to read that you wear black birks also.

Lisa C on 7/16/01 at 01:28 (053313)

I live in California & I have to back up Laurie R. White socks only with sandals!!! Funky print socks are cool too, but only under long pants!

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 02:04 (053315)

Hi Lisa , Did you ever get my email I sent you?

Re: Let's change the thread title - LINT BALLS

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:02 (053320)

Laurie, I have a couple of pairs of socks that accompanied me to India and their lint balls have got little black tips at the ends of them (not sure from what, probably melted road tar). I still wear them (can't bear to throw them out as they remind me of India).

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:04 (053321)

Nancy, the in crowd scares me too. Never been part of one. Don't care.

Now I'm beginning to fancy a pair of black Birks. Shall we form a little Black Birk In Crowd? (Of course anyone at heelspurs.com is welcome to join.)

Julie on 7/16/01 at 03:06 (053322)

...in fact is automatically a member of it.

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 07:44 (053326)

laurie, you got me curious and so this morning i have closely examined the socks i wore yesterday. they are black with some silver sparkles on them. i wore them with a big black shirt-dress, about the only thing i can get over my shoulders these days, plus my brown boston birks.
i think i see a few little lint balls on them -- not sure -- they're minuscule -- i'd have to go into the other room and get the big magnifying glass, and right now i'm too lazy to do that. what i see more of is many cat hairs!
but my lesson to you, which i know you will not follow because you live in california, is that if you'd wear darker socks, you'd never see the little lint balls or anything else and then wouldn't have to worry about them.
thank you for saying i'm welcome in your state no matter what color socks i wear. i'm afraid i'm not about to change, especially for a tiny state like california.
have a great day, white socks and all!
nancy

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 08:35 (053330)

This is the best thread i have read in a long time lol, I have totaly enjoyed the good nature of it!!! To think a what we might think is a small issue of color of sox could relly be so different in so many different areas, and to think it could bring laughter to all , heh this get my vote for a pain reliever lol! Heh, do you think it is marketable?Laughter in a bottle , hmmm a pair of white sox ,verse, what black sox or I like the sounds of the black with sparkeles, well we are trying to get thru tough days in life it is wonderful that we get to enjoy fun and laughing people !!!!!SO good to hear laughter!!!! So now on with it when we are done with sox what can it be next? We have to continue as it is a great lift in life! Hugs to all I am going to have to buy a sandle so that I might try white sox and try dark and maybe some sparkles lol! Time to throw the tennis shoes under bed and find some sandles so I might have fun! Hugs to all and Have a GREAT day!

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 08:53 (053333)

My favorite little white socks have a nautical theme, reflecting my interest in ships. I bought them on the Coast Guard's tall ship, the Eagle, when it was in town for Op Sail 2000. On one side, the cuff has little embroidered boats. When you turn them inside out, the cuff says 'U.S. Coast Guard.' How cool is that!

Didn't wear them this weekend, however, when I had another fashion comeuppance. I was given free passes to the Chippendale's Review, and took some gal pals with me. I discovered, one, I have absolutely nothing in my closet that remotely resembles a 'club' outfit. (Though at least I didn't wear a little white sweater with pearls like one of my friends.) Two -- white socks with teva's (my closet's closet approximation to a club shoe) -- don't make a sexy outfit. Three, the male dancers at Chippendale's don't wear socks at all.
ellen

john h on 7/16/01 at 08:56 (053334)

i have two pair of black birk sandals. basic black should be in everyones wardrobe.

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 09:23 (053336)

ooooh, ellen, do you live in boston by any chance? are you talking the chippendales place on route 1 in saugus? i used to drive by there. i noticed it. i never went in, though. i'm shocked that they don't wear socks, and thank you for the info.
tammie, you're so cheerful anyway that i had no clue our little discussion here could make you even cheerier. but that's good! cheer on!
best,
nancy

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 09:27 (053338)

Nope, this was the New York version. Wonder if the guys in Boston are cuter?

Re: Thanks Nancy s, lol but oh I hope I am not that

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 09:57 (053340)

Oh my Nancy I hope that i am not that sappy sickly cheery heheheheh, lol I do try to be upbeat as I like to make people feel good, lol but if you knew the (real me) lol I am not always so upbeat hehehehehe! Just ask my daughter lol n fact no dont ask her she would tell you! Thanks tho really you guys here are great, I dont know what I would do without ALL of you! You have taught me many things and I only hope I can be a bit more patient cause that is my FAULT lol no patience! Hugs to all of you and it is going to be a hot one today here!

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 12:45 (053359)

Ok Nancy you are really going to think I'm a nut case now . I do have black socks , I used to have to wear them when I was working. We had to wear black pants and of course black sox.... But the problem I had with the black sox were they would also get little lint balls . They would be a gray color. I think it depends on the kind of socks ...

I agree with Tammie 100% ,I think this thread has been the best in a long time. I laugh at just he thought of it ...So may of us are taking about sox..Plus we all get a long so well ..I think we all needed a good laugh ..So thank you to who ever started this ...

Ok I have to get ready for PT,and yes i will be wearing my white sox.....Ha Ha Ha ..Laurie R

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 13:26 (053361)

Now heh, I was doing my laundry today and will you be happy to hear I checked socks today for lint balls lol lol and was appaled to see that tho not may dark socks in laundry they had little fuzzies to hehehe they apeared to be grayish in color but there, oh and the white which were of course many socks of that color some to ahd fuzzies and i sat there picking them off and to all who might care I took a razor and shaved them off now how do you like that for the bored silly woman that I am, sad huh! Shaving fuszzies off now, but it worked!!!!!!!! LOL LOL I am having a amusing time with this thread, I was checking other laundry to and have noticed that undergarments of choice also get the fuzzies hehehe be looking for them friends, imagine me with my little blue razor attacking the fuzzies hehehehe I think I went mad help ! LOL Take care all!

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 16:06 (053380)

ok, laurie and tammie, if you two can see little lint balls on black socks, even if the little lint balls are gray, i'd say you're really into this hobby. i'm willing to help you keep your hobby going by sending you our laundry from here, and you can pick and slice to your hearts' content. (sorry, the pay is low!)
just let me know where and how often! (suggestion: once a week?)
nancy

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 16:08 (053381)

Tammie I think we all are going nutz over htis. It is so funny everytime I think abou tit. I jus tcame home from PT and I had to check the board ... I jsut had to see if anyone else checks for the little lint balls... LOL.So the razor works well , I have never tried this before. But you bet I will try ,I don't have the patience to pick the little balls off by hand. I rather just but new ones.... Laurie

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 16:12 (053382)

Nancy , I am still laughing from Tammie's post and now yours.... The more I read about this the less pain I.m having ..This is so good for sore feet. Anyways here is the deal .. With new white sox you can wash them a few times without getting the little lint balls . Than after a while the come. I just have this thing for new white socks ,they look so fresh . Now I'm being serious . Oh God I need to get a life....... HELP ME PLEASE !!!!! Ha Ha Ha ....... Laurie R

nancy s. on 7/16/01 at 16:57 (053388)

laurie, i think this could be your post-pf career: you could be one of those women on tv commercials, gushing over some laundry detergent that keeps the white socks fresh-looking and lint-ball-free. you have the looks, you have the enthusiasm -- go for it!
nancy

Laurie R on 7/16/01 at 17:18 (053390)

Thank 's Nancy I knew someone would find me a job I would be good at... And I won't have to be on my feet... Ha Ha Ha .. Now for the looks I don't think so......But maybe they could just show my feet.I always keep my toes painted... I have a french manicure on them right now. I don't go to the nail shop anymore I do it myself. After seeing I think on 20/20 how dirty the shops are...... Laurie R

Re: little lint balls/ oh yes I see her in lights/////

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 19:51 (053404)

OH for sure you would be a beautiful info mercial , lol now ladies do u have fuzzies on your white socks? Are they getting nubbies well we can't have that now can we so look buy new white socks they are fresh they are neet they are nubbless lol and if that does not work try a razor blade to take them off lol but please careful of the fingers as blood does take away from the fresh white socks heheheheh ROFL I think we have all gone insane or is it the heat?Oh yes send me the nubbies hehehehe and yes Laurie you can be the tv person you are simply beautiful!!!!! Take care all hugs got to send daughter out the door she is going away for night YIPPI I get the computer later!

wendyn on 7/16/01 at 22:41 (053426)

This thread is exactly why Scott was kind enough (annoyed enough?) to create the social board.

You guys crack me up.

I wear birks with no socks in the summer. I would like to see any one of you make it through a Canadian winter in birks and bare feet though.

In the winter I wear socks - coloured or otherwise with my Birks. If I wear black pants, I wear black birks and black socks.

Maybe by this winter I will be able to wear a normal shoe - but the last two winters it's been sandals. Birks have no grips on ice.

You want to see bad fashion?

When my feet hurt A LOT I couldn't go without the socks because I needed the extra padding. One day I wore a lovely black silk top, a cute short black skirt, nylons, black ankle socks and black birks. To work. In the middle of winter. No - I didn't really care, didn't have a choice. I could have been in one of those magazines where they have fasion Do's and fashion Dont's - I would have headlined as a big DON'T!

Tammie on 7/16/01 at 22:57 (053427)

Well Thank u scott then for allowing us to enjoy a good laugh and kind humor when most of us are consumed with pain! It is good to get some humor in our life it lets us remember that the feet canot rule EVERYTHING we do !!!!!!
Well Wendyn, I don't know about those canadian winters much but I have a granny who lives in nova scotia , she says they get mighty cold. I live where it gets cold also and I cant walk in boots let alone sandles lol I would flop for sure I am quite the clutsy pal! So am proud of you that you have good balance! Fashion is a personal statement my teens tell me you set your own and it is better, who wants the same as eveyone else , they seem to think it is dull but then I know that at least one of them is comformed by peers lol! Take care and have a good night or morning as it is past midnight !

JudyS on 7/16/01 at 23:11 (053428)

did you hear that, Laurie? We're an In Crowd! Cool! I always wanted to be an in crowd. Here's a thrifty fashion white sox tip: buy them in bulk at Target..... :) (sorry John, it cost too much to own property around here so we can't afford Thorlo's!!)

JudyS on 7/16/01 at 23:13 (053429)

I'm thinking that black Birks would definately be cool...what style, John?

Scott R on 7/16/01 at 23:47 (053431)

'This thread is exactly why Scott was kind enough (annoyed enough?) to create the social board.'

Yes, 'annoyed enough' was the correct term here :)

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:25 (053450)

You can have my laundry too.

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:28 (053452)

All together now John: let's hear it for....ARIZONAS!!!

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 06:19 (053453)

but julie, your laundry might be more difficult for them, since the little lint balls on your socks have tar from india on them. i'm sorry, i just had to point this out in order to be fair. i hope it doesn't result in no free laundry for you, though.
nancy

Julie on 7/17/01 at 08:21 (053459)

Well ok Nancy. I'll keep my Indian socks here. Don't think I'd let them out of my sight anyway. Those black-tipped little lint balls are far too precious.

john h on 7/17/01 at 10:08 (053475)

Tammie: have you been to Nova Scotia? i spent a lot of time in Goose Bay, Labrador and Harmon, New Foundland . Mukaluks were the order of the day for footware in those places. Probably only Canadians are familiar with Mukaluks which are not very fashionable.

john h on 7/17/01 at 10:16 (053477)

i made a comment about a couple of girls making fashion statements at the health club by wearing long socks and then pushing them down and bunching them up. low and behold i looked and judy and nancy s picture on the board and there was judy with the same sock look. well done judy. you da woman!

BrianG on 7/17/01 at 13:07 (053486)

Laurie, you little Angel is not going to be too happy you are telling everyone that she is running around outside with nothing on but Birks :*)

BCG

wendyn on 7/17/01 at 13:58 (053497)

Get with the program John - those push down socks have been 'in' for about 10 years now. Must always push the socks down. Always.

Re: Scott

wendyn on 7/17/01 at 14:02 (053498)

For someone I've never met face to face - I think I have you figured out pretty good. ;)

Although I can't understand WHY you wouldn't think discussion about lint balls on socks rates as important medical dialogue worth archiving in some very valuable expense storage system.

JudyS on 7/17/01 at 14:13 (053500)

I didn't want anyone to be envious so I hadn't mentioned that I was the famous West Coast sox Fashion Consultant hired at John H's club in Little Rock. But they still didn't pay me enough to be able to purchase Thorlos!

john h on 7/17/01 at 16:45 (053517)

judy: your thorlos will be in the mail soon!

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 16:46 (053518)

Hi Brian , I think you have me confussed with an other post. I never said that Angel was running around outside with nothing on but Birks... She does not even own a pair... I don't even have birks... Laurie R

BrianG on 7/17/01 at 18:23 (053526)

Your right Laurie, and now I can't find the message I was looking at. I'm either loosing my mind, or the meds are finally kicking in after 3-4 years :*) Sorry bout dat.

BCG

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 18:29 (053527)

no brian, i think you're not losing your mind, because i remember something like that that laurie wrote. but i think it was laurie's old white socks with litte lint balls on them that angel wears outside. oh now i can't remember myself -- but there was something like that -- and because this is so important, i'm going to search for it this very evening!
nancy

nancy s. - ok brian and laurie, here it is on 7/17/01 at 18:33 (053528)

take a gander.

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 18:35 (053529)

Ok you two ,I rememebr now what you are taking about.. Boy Brian you made me think that i was losing my mind but not remembering. I said that Angel wears my white sox outside ,but she does wear clothes too... She steels my sox then she is outside in them with no shoes on ,so of course the sox are all stained..... Brian you are to sweet to be losing your mind. I know I have lost mine already...... Laurie R

Laurie R on 7/17/01 at 18:36 (053530)

Their is no message Nancy....

nancy s. on 7/17/01 at 18:47 (053532)

it didn't come up in the right place in the thread. i don't know why.
laurie, it is in your message of 7/16/01 at 01:04.
that will be $50 for the research please.
nancy

Nancy N on 7/17/01 at 19:00 (053533)

Nancy, I am so glad to see that your frozen shoulder has not frozen your sense of humor!!!

Re: I've got it back now, my mind that is......

BrianG on 7/18/01 at 06:07 (053557)

I was thinking socks, but wrote Birks. I guess I now have another ailment to add to my long list of hurts: Altzheimers !!!! :*)
And yes Laurie, I really did know what you meant, hahaaa

BCG

Re: oh brain I can

tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:09 (053630)

Brian I can help you there that is what I do best help with the alzh. LOL that is my job oh boy I CAN really get back to it ! Even here! LOL Dont worry I have allot of patience my friend hehehe just dont read any of my posts where I am loosing it cause I cant do what i want to lol! Now what can I help you with do you know if you have fuzzies on YOUR socks lol? No just joking I had to get in on this as this is been the best and lightest heart and pain relieving conversation I have expieranced! Take care and glad to see you !

Tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:13 (053631)

It is great to laugh isnt it?ROFL again and again! Heh does this mean we have really lost it cause we laugh over such a thing as fuzzsies or white/ colored socks? If so reserve my room and I want a big room so I may pace as when I am nervouse or bored is my all time thing! And oh yes I have a necesity of having my diet coke to and yeah I know it is not good for me but oh well I am not giving that up to! LOL any one joining me ?

Re: Scott Yes

Tammie on 7/18/01 at 20:22 (053633)

Really now if you could bottle what this does for people you could really be a rich fellow!!!!! Laughter is the best medicine and it is free! But maybe you could put a better name on it like hmmmm fuzzies in a bottle, or maybe white vs colored socks. Really you must be a very wonderful person to be so dedicated to making this site for people to come to! I had never been to anything like this before, nor could I who am almost computer illiterate as they come imagine how much work this is for you! I am sorry for that but am thankful that you have made a home for people like me who was overwelmed and happened to stumble here! And you had wonderful people here who welcomed me and took me under there wings to show me there Is more then information here! Thanks as I do not believe I have ever told you this before!