Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cynthia

Posted by wendyn on 7/14/01 at 17:44 (053179)

Cynthia - I think Nancy is right - Nerve pain can cause all kinds of sensations - shooting pains may or may not be involved. MRI's do not show nerve damage - but it would be good to get a picture of what's happening inside you. The nerve condition tests - find out if the one you will have involves inserting needles INTO the skin. This is the part that people say honestly does hurt. The electrodes ON the skin are not a big deal for most. You have kids? If you made it through labor you can make it through this no problem. Honestly it was not a really big deal - but some people can and do request a sedative prior to the exam. It's an individual thing.

Bottom line is that you really have to start somewhere with the tests - I'd go for both...actually I have had both come to think of it. None did me any real good other than to rule out most of the things that are fixable. But at some point you have to go through some of the tests in order to find out what's happening.

Nerve pain coming from your back or your feet could produce very similar pain...the doctors need to try to find the source of your problem in order to try to treat it. No point in giving you orthotics if the source of your problem is a bulging disc.

You said your pain is all PF like - but I seem to remember you saying you had a lot of pain in your back too - and pain that involved a lot of burning. Burning is usually from nerves.

I have had two very separte cases of PF prior to TTS - the pain is actually quite different. When the pain occurs is probably the biggest indicator - is it worse in the morning or when you've been sitting for a while? For most people with PF it feels like they're feet are ripping apart in those first few steps - and the pain actually decreases a bit with walking around. TTS usually gets worse the more you're on your feet.

Please let me know what you decide to do~!

Re: NCT/ EMG

GinaC on 7/14/01 at 20:12 (053203)

I believe the nerve conduction test involves placing electrodes on the skin and the EMG features needles stuck in muscle areas. The neurologist who did both tests for me suggested a quick breath IN as she inserted each needle for the EMG and it wasn't bad at all. I thought acupuncture needling was more painful than the EMG needles. Gina

Re: Thanks for the advice, Wendy and Gina

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:24 (053205)

Gina, we must have tried to post a response at exactly the same second! Mine got bumped off so here goes:

Wendy, thank you very much for all your good information. I do have buning all the time, now it's even in the balls of my feet after too much activity. And the arches have cramps all the time. I do have a painful time of 'getting my feet going' in the morning or when I get up from sitting for a while. Then, they feel better as they warm up. They even crackle going down the stairs getting all the kinks out. Then as I overdo it for yet another day, they start to ache and burn. Some times there is a tingling in the ball of my feet like now, but not too often.

The test was to have had needles inserted that my doctor ordered. Apparently if you cancel, it's difficult to reschedule, but I never accepted the appointment they 'assigned' for me, because we were in Florida. Now after all I have heard and read, I'm really afraid of this, but with your encouragement, perhaps I'll do it now. Yes, I gave birth three times, all natural thank you except the third I had an epidural, the baby was 'sunny side up' and got stuck. Yes, anyone who can do that can handle needles, it's just that I'm so terrified of needles.

Anyway, I learned recently through my first bone density test that I have mild scoloisis, and that's probably the root of my back pains. When I am lifting weights and doing sit-ups to tone my abs, the back pain recedes. I have started exercising again to see if that helps again.

Wendy, I read recently how you described your pain all down your legs. How can you handle it? And can they really not do anything for you? I'm sending this now to go read your report in the other section and will be back.

Thanks for making the EMG sound so easy, Gina. Did it help you?

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:47 (053209)

Wow, Wendyn - what a lot of work you put into your faq page. Some of the things hit home, like the cramping and burning, but when I explored around in the TTS section, I discovered the 'tapping'. This does not cause pain at all, and the areas pictured don't have pain, just mostly the bottom of my feet. Do you think TTS is from ignoring PF?

GinaC on 7/14/01 at 21:25 (053218)

As a result of NCT/EMG on my feet, wrists, elbow, shoulder and neck, I was diagnosed with bilateral TTS in the feet, bilateral carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel in my wrists, but no nerve entrapments at the elbow, shoulder, or neck (pain in those areas may be referred from the wrist entrapment). So, I guess I was helped in that I know why I have various symptoms, although I wasn't thrilled with any of this news.

I really think you can get through the testing. I made a point of not looking at the needles and it was done very quickly. It sure wasn't any worse than a 'bad foot day'! Gina

Re: So Gina, what now?

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 21:33 (053219)

So Gina, after all those diagnosis, I know it must be comforting to understand your pain, but what can be done about it for you? Do you just try to alleviate the pain or can they operate? Have you already had surgery? Can you get back to your activity level, now or in the future? I'm sorry you have to go through all this, but it sounds like you are handling it with a good attitude. Ok, I'll call to see if I should have an MRI first, or just do the EMG. So the EMG doesn't last as long as the MRI? Thanks for all your information.

wendyn on 7/14/01 at 21:34 (053220)

Cynthia - Steve Williams has the website with the pictures, I don't have pictures in the FAQ..but his pictures are very good at displaying the common area for pain in TTS. You could still have nerve pain/problems - just maybe not TTS per se.

The nerve conduction tests did not really 'help' me. They did rule out a more sinister systemic problem. My doctors were very worried becuase I do have symptoms in both feet - and some problems with CTS and ulnar nerves as well. Since my nerve conduction tests were normal, we all felt better that there wasn't anything really scary going on.

With respect to my pain - 2 years ago I had bad pain all the time. Now I have some pain some of the time - not usually ral bad though, and if it is bad it's short lived...so I can handle this. Monday and Tuesday were nasty, I did have to warn my boss the one day that if I appeared rather evil it wasn't anything personal. Amazing how pain can change your mood and how you respond to things. He appreciated the warning.

I work real hard on the psychological side of this - and I manage....when I have a lot of pain I come here and dump it on the people who I know will just listen and let me vent. Keeps me sane.

GinaC on 7/15/01 at 09:58 (053244)

After lots of treatment (including ESWT) and 4 full years of pain, I had open PF release, TT release on my left (worse) foot in March. I'm still healing, but feel I'm better off than before surgery and my activity level has improved, although it's not yet to where I want it to be. Because I'm losing strength in my right hand due to the nerve entrapments at the wrist, I'm planning right hand surgery next month. That surgery supposedly has a better outcome and somewhat faster recovery time than the foot surgery. Will then wait and see how the 'opposite' foot and hand progress.

In some ways, I'm sorry I waited so long to have foot surgery. I thought I was waiting to get better, but instead, over time, I got worse. At the first feet NCT/EMG, I was basically 'normal' except for one suspicious reading. A year and a half later, a re-test revealed TTS in both feet. I wonder if earlier surgery would have prevented the TTS.

Cynthia--I can't remember--did you have ESWT already? My lack of improvement after 2 Ossatron treatments on the left foot and one on the right, is really what led me to surgery. That treatment failure was very difficult for me to deal with--kind of made me feel like a hopeless case for a while there. But also lead me to believe I didn't have much to lose from surgery, which motivated me to go ahead with it. These decision are so hard to make and there's always plenty of room for second-guessing afterwards!

Since all the doctors I saw agreed that I had PF and bone scan results pointed in the same direction, I never had an MRI, so I don't know how long that takes. But the needle/emg tests are done within a few minutes, with the nerve conduction parts requiring a little more time. I'm sure the neurologist doing the test has some tricks to help you. Just don't become 'old friends' with the neurologist the way I did! I think it's important to rule out/in TTS since that changes your treatment options (ESWT is contra-indicated for TTS) and would also change any surgical approach, should it come to that.

Here's hoping you 'flunk' your tests for TTS. Hang in there. gina

Re: Wendy

Cynthia D on 7/15/01 at 21:17 (053295)

So will your pain remain at the same level throughout your life? Or will it improve over time, get worse as you age? Have your doctors thought that far ahead? Do you think there will be new treatments to get you pain-free in the future? I'm sure I could look up your history, but some info may be outdated. I feel so bad for you on those bad days whether or not I reply to your posts, I'm thinking of you on those days. I know you are an integral part of this board and when you need to vent, you have friends here, both old and new :).

Cynthia D on 7/15/01 at 21:25 (053296)

Wow, Gina, you sure do have a plate full. And then some. How do you reach the point when you say enough pain, let's do the surgery? When you can't exercize, or down to when you can't walk any more? I was almost at that point when I had ESWT last February. I feel I did improve somewhat, but not 100% At Mass General, I saw an orthopedist last month who feels that pf in both feet for 5 years is not just plain old pf, but he needs to take into account that I exercised - tennis and aerobics a total of at least 15 hours per week, plus never sitting down, before I even went to a podiatrist. I only sought treatment after I stumbled on this website this past Jan. researching heel pain.

So I'm just not at the point of surgery, not yet anyway. My problems are just a fraction of yours, but we all know, our feet are so important!

Do you have a surgery date set for your wrist?

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 22:52 (053303)

Cynthia - don't worry about me!!! I am fine really!

When I asked my doctor those same questions his consistent answer was 'I don't know.' To every one of them. I have seen many doctors, I have had to watch many of them scratch their heads. My feet are just not right - never have been. My right is worse, my grandma who is 84 appears to have something similar in her right leg. She still mows the lawn with a push mower but her leg is slowing her down the last year or so. Her foot and leg did not bother her till much later in life (not 11 like in my case). She is always worried about my feet and says she feels bad for me. This coming from an 84 year old woman who INSISTS on mowing her lawn with a push mower because she claims it keeps her in shape. She also refuses to use a cane, I told her if my ego could take it - so can hers.

You have to bear in mind that I have basically gone through the whole 'cycle' of 'grieving' over this. And honestly, I really think that's what it is if someone is diagnosed with a chronic condition carrying so many unknowns. I've had the depression, the anger, the denial, the frustration the self pity and 'why me?'. Every so often one of those pops up again - but I've learned ways to deal with them and I quite honestly take one day at a time (this really is the only way).

My condition is marked down as a 'slowly progressing deformity'...my understanding is that the eventual outcome may likely be a reconstruction probably involving fusions etc. I have been told that this should be avoided as long as possible - I tend to agree.

Honestly thought - I manage, and I'm really quite happy. There are worse things in life than sore feet. For anyone who does find themselves falling into the ever present vat of self pity we all teeter on - a few suggestions...

-spend some time with someone who is terminally ill, then try feeling sorry for yourself

-spend some time with a child in a wheel chair who has never walked, then try feeling bad that you can't do aerobics any more

-spend some time with someone who has a life altering condition that is worse off than you - observe the way the have learned to cope

-spend some time with the mom of a child who will never hear and never speak and never function above the level of a 2 year old - then think about how unfair your situation is

Really - perspective is everything.

GinaC on 7/16/01 at 12:40 (053357)

I finally decided to have surgery when I had exhausted all other treatment options, continued to get worse, and could no longer walk without pain and that pain was severely disrupting my life.I really felt that I was ready for surgery when I could not go on any normal type of vacation or school field trip, couldn't walk the dog, cut grass,clean house, couldn't go to the mall with my teen daughter for more than an hour without agony on the way home that continued into the next day. I was also alarmed that I was starting to have more pain when at rest. Now, I can get through the day with very little pain and am starting to walk the dog and thinking long and hard about cutting the grass (more because it will then be my job forever as opposed to foot concerns!

I've had PF twice and both times it was triggered by exercise--first a stair stepper and then a treadmill. But I switched to swimming and was in to see a doctor within a week or so of experiencing pain. The first time the PF resolved in about 18 months; this time nothing worked over 4 years of trying. So don't beat yourself up too much about continuing to exercise.I stopped right away and don't have all that much to show for it this time around. I will admit that I'm lousy at resting. If I attempted it the pain would recede only until I went back to everyday activity...all it took was doing laundry and I' d be right back where I started from.

I just hope I can keep up with repairing body parts as fast as they are deteriorating! My hand surgery will probably be on August 10. My best advice to you: don't become middle-aged. By all means, just say NO to 50 and beyond; till then, say yes to as much as you can!

Re: Hi Guys

Cynthia D on 7/17/01 at 20:13 (053537)

I'm sorry, I want to respond, but there hasn't been a sec and I really want to reread your posts and gather my thoughts, will try later or tomorrow. :)

Re: Wendy's "Pearls of Wisdom"

Cynthia D on 7/18/01 at 22:58 (053653)

Hi, sorry I've been away. I always love reading your 'Pearls of Wisdom'. You give us others cause to stop thinking about ourselves and to realize that things could definately be much worse. Yes, I remember when your doctor said 'he just doesn't know.' As long as you can live your life and take an occasional walk or trip I guess you just can't compain (not too loudly anyway) when viewed in this perspective. This board is a great place to find comfort when we are suffering. Thanks for all your information, it will help me, and I hope others, greatly.

Re: Gina, great news

Cynthia D on 7/18/01 at 23:04 (053654)

Gina, I'm so happy to hear that you are walking the dog again and considering mowing the lawn!! That's great news. I know what you mean about making your foot pain 'your job', I'm trying to quit that job, too. We sometimes have to mentally and spirutually move on from where we are as well as physically. I found Julie's advice about travelling very good, you don't come against your same old limits you had set for yourself when you are on new turf.

So, watch out for that lawnmower! Maybe you can mow when your husband is a work (or whomever is mowing now), so they won't think you can do it every week.

I'll be thinking of you on August 10 for your hand surgery, best wishes, and thanks for all your information about the EMG, you made it sound like a piece of cake!

Re: NCT/ EMG

GinaC on 7/14/01 at 20:12 (053203)

I believe the nerve conduction test involves placing electrodes on the skin and the EMG features needles stuck in muscle areas. The neurologist who did both tests for me suggested a quick breath IN as she inserted each needle for the EMG and it wasn't bad at all. I thought acupuncture needling was more painful than the EMG needles. Gina

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:24 (053205)

Gina, we must have tried to post a response at exactly the same second! Mine got bumped off so here goes:

Wendy, thank you very much for all your good information. I do have buning all the time, now it's even in the balls of my feet after too much activity. And the arches have cramps all the time. I do have a painful time of 'getting my feet going' in the morning or when I get up from sitting for a while. Then, they feel better as they warm up. They even crackle going down the stairs getting all the kinks out. Then as I overdo it for yet another day, they start to ache and burn. Some times there is a tingling in the ball of my feet like now, but not too often.

The test was to have had needles inserted that my doctor ordered. Apparently if you cancel, it's difficult to reschedule, but I never accepted the appointment they 'assigned' for me, because we were in Florida. Now after all I have heard and read, I'm really afraid of this, but with your encouragement, perhaps I'll do it now. Yes, I gave birth three times, all natural thank you except the third I had an epidural, the baby was 'sunny side up' and got stuck. Yes, anyone who can do that can handle needles, it's just that I'm so terrified of needles.

Anyway, I learned recently through my first bone density test that I have mild scoloisis, and that's probably the root of my back pains. When I am lifting weights and doing sit-ups to tone my abs, the back pain recedes. I have started exercising again to see if that helps again.

Wendy, I read recently how you described your pain all down your legs. How can you handle it? And can they really not do anything for you? I'm sending this now to go read your report in the other section and will be back.

Thanks for making the EMG sound so easy, Gina. Did it help you?

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 20:47 (053209)

Wow, Wendyn - what a lot of work you put into your faq page. Some of the things hit home, like the cramping and burning, but when I explored around in the TTS section, I discovered the 'tapping'. This does not cause pain at all, and the areas pictured don't have pain, just mostly the bottom of my feet. Do you think TTS is from ignoring PF?

GinaC on 7/14/01 at 21:25 (053218)

As a result of NCT/EMG on my feet, wrists, elbow, shoulder and neck, I was diagnosed with bilateral TTS in the feet, bilateral carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel in my wrists, but no nerve entrapments at the elbow, shoulder, or neck (pain in those areas may be referred from the wrist entrapment). So, I guess I was helped in that I know why I have various symptoms, although I wasn't thrilled with any of this news.

I really think you can get through the testing. I made a point of not looking at the needles and it was done very quickly. It sure wasn't any worse than a 'bad foot day'! Gina

Cynthia D on 7/14/01 at 21:33 (053219)

So Gina, after all those diagnosis, I know it must be comforting to understand your pain, but what can be done about it for you? Do you just try to alleviate the pain or can they operate? Have you already had surgery? Can you get back to your activity level, now or in the future? I'm sorry you have to go through all this, but it sounds like you are handling it with a good attitude. Ok, I'll call to see if I should have an MRI first, or just do the EMG. So the EMG doesn't last as long as the MRI? Thanks for all your information.

wendyn on 7/14/01 at 21:34 (053220)

Cynthia - Steve Williams has the website with the pictures, I don't have pictures in the FAQ..but his pictures are very good at displaying the common area for pain in TTS. You could still have nerve pain/problems - just maybe not TTS per se.

The nerve conduction tests did not really 'help' me. They did rule out a more sinister systemic problem. My doctors were very worried becuase I do have symptoms in both feet - and some problems with CTS and ulnar nerves as well. Since my nerve conduction tests were normal, we all felt better that there wasn't anything really scary going on.

With respect to my pain - 2 years ago I had bad pain all the time. Now I have some pain some of the time - not usually ral bad though, and if it is bad it's short lived...so I can handle this. Monday and Tuesday were nasty, I did have to warn my boss the one day that if I appeared rather evil it wasn't anything personal. Amazing how pain can change your mood and how you respond to things. He appreciated the warning.

I work real hard on the psychological side of this - and I manage....when I have a lot of pain I come here and dump it on the people who I know will just listen and let me vent. Keeps me sane.

GinaC on 7/15/01 at 09:58 (053244)

After lots of treatment (including ESWT) and 4 full years of pain, I had open PF release, TT release on my left (worse) foot in March. I'm still healing, but feel I'm better off than before surgery and my activity level has improved, although it's not yet to where I want it to be. Because I'm losing strength in my right hand due to the nerve entrapments at the wrist, I'm planning right hand surgery next month. That surgery supposedly has a better outcome and somewhat faster recovery time than the foot surgery. Will then wait and see how the 'opposite' foot and hand progress.

In some ways, I'm sorry I waited so long to have foot surgery. I thought I was waiting to get better, but instead, over time, I got worse. At the first feet NCT/EMG, I was basically 'normal' except for one suspicious reading. A year and a half later, a re-test revealed TTS in both feet. I wonder if earlier surgery would have prevented the TTS.

Cynthia--I can't remember--did you have ESWT already? My lack of improvement after 2 Ossatron treatments on the left foot and one on the right, is really what led me to surgery. That treatment failure was very difficult for me to deal with--kind of made me feel like a hopeless case for a while there. But also lead me to believe I didn't have much to lose from surgery, which motivated me to go ahead with it. These decision are so hard to make and there's always plenty of room for second-guessing afterwards!

Since all the doctors I saw agreed that I had PF and bone scan results pointed in the same direction, I never had an MRI, so I don't know how long that takes. But the needle/emg tests are done within a few minutes, with the nerve conduction parts requiring a little more time. I'm sure the neurologist doing the test has some tricks to help you. Just don't become 'old friends' with the neurologist the way I did! I think it's important to rule out/in TTS since that changes your treatment options (ESWT is contra-indicated for TTS) and would also change any surgical approach, should it come to that.

Here's hoping you 'flunk' your tests for TTS. Hang in there. gina

Cynthia D on 7/15/01 at 21:17 (053295)

So will your pain remain at the same level throughout your life? Or will it improve over time, get worse as you age? Have your doctors thought that far ahead? Do you think there will be new treatments to get you pain-free in the future? I'm sure I could look up your history, but some info may be outdated. I feel so bad for you on those bad days whether or not I reply to your posts, I'm thinking of you on those days. I know you are an integral part of this board and when you need to vent, you have friends here, both old and new :).

Cynthia D on 7/15/01 at 21:25 (053296)

Wow, Gina, you sure do have a plate full. And then some. How do you reach the point when you say enough pain, let's do the surgery? When you can't exercize, or down to when you can't walk any more? I was almost at that point when I had ESWT last February. I feel I did improve somewhat, but not 100% At Mass General, I saw an orthopedist last month who feels that pf in both feet for 5 years is not just plain old pf, but he needs to take into account that I exercised - tennis and aerobics a total of at least 15 hours per week, plus never sitting down, before I even went to a podiatrist. I only sought treatment after I stumbled on this website this past Jan. researching heel pain.

So I'm just not at the point of surgery, not yet anyway. My problems are just a fraction of yours, but we all know, our feet are so important!

Do you have a surgery date set for your wrist?

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 22:52 (053303)

Cynthia - don't worry about me!!! I am fine really!

When I asked my doctor those same questions his consistent answer was 'I don't know.' To every one of them. I have seen many doctors, I have had to watch many of them scratch their heads. My feet are just not right - never have been. My right is worse, my grandma who is 84 appears to have something similar in her right leg. She still mows the lawn with a push mower but her leg is slowing her down the last year or so. Her foot and leg did not bother her till much later in life (not 11 like in my case). She is always worried about my feet and says she feels bad for me. This coming from an 84 year old woman who INSISTS on mowing her lawn with a push mower because she claims it keeps her in shape. She also refuses to use a cane, I told her if my ego could take it - so can hers.

You have to bear in mind that I have basically gone through the whole 'cycle' of 'grieving' over this. And honestly, I really think that's what it is if someone is diagnosed with a chronic condition carrying so many unknowns. I've had the depression, the anger, the denial, the frustration the self pity and 'why me?'. Every so often one of those pops up again - but I've learned ways to deal with them and I quite honestly take one day at a time (this really is the only way).

My condition is marked down as a 'slowly progressing deformity'...my understanding is that the eventual outcome may likely be a reconstruction probably involving fusions etc. I have been told that this should be avoided as long as possible - I tend to agree.

Honestly thought - I manage, and I'm really quite happy. There are worse things in life than sore feet. For anyone who does find themselves falling into the ever present vat of self pity we all teeter on - a few suggestions...

-spend some time with someone who is terminally ill, then try feeling sorry for yourself

-spend some time with a child in a wheel chair who has never walked, then try feeling bad that you can't do aerobics any more

-spend some time with someone who has a life altering condition that is worse off than you - observe the way the have learned to cope

-spend some time with the mom of a child who will never hear and never speak and never function above the level of a 2 year old - then think about how unfair your situation is

Really - perspective is everything.

GinaC on 7/16/01 at 12:40 (053357)

I finally decided to have surgery when I had exhausted all other treatment options, continued to get worse, and could no longer walk without pain and that pain was severely disrupting my life.I really felt that I was ready for surgery when I could not go on any normal type of vacation or school field trip, couldn't walk the dog, cut grass,clean house, couldn't go to the mall with my teen daughter for more than an hour without agony on the way home that continued into the next day. I was also alarmed that I was starting to have more pain when at rest. Now, I can get through the day with very little pain and am starting to walk the dog and thinking long and hard about cutting the grass (more because it will then be my job forever as opposed to foot concerns!

I've had PF twice and both times it was triggered by exercise--first a stair stepper and then a treadmill. But I switched to swimming and was in to see a doctor within a week or so of experiencing pain. The first time the PF resolved in about 18 months; this time nothing worked over 4 years of trying. So don't beat yourself up too much about continuing to exercise.I stopped right away and don't have all that much to show for it this time around. I will admit that I'm lousy at resting. If I attempted it the pain would recede only until I went back to everyday activity...all it took was doing laundry and I' d be right back where I started from.

I just hope I can keep up with repairing body parts as fast as they are deteriorating! My hand surgery will probably be on August 10. My best advice to you: don't become middle-aged. By all means, just say NO to 50 and beyond; till then, say yes to as much as you can!

Re: Hi Guys

Cynthia D on 7/17/01 at 20:13 (053537)

I'm sorry, I want to respond, but there hasn't been a sec and I really want to reread your posts and gather my thoughts, will try later or tomorrow. :)

Re: Wendy's "Pearls of Wisdom"

Cynthia D on 7/18/01 at 22:58 (053653)

Hi, sorry I've been away. I always love reading your 'Pearls of Wisdom'. You give us others cause to stop thinking about ourselves and to realize that things could definately be much worse. Yes, I remember when your doctor said 'he just doesn't know.' As long as you can live your life and take an occasional walk or trip I guess you just can't compain (not too loudly anyway) when viewed in this perspective. This board is a great place to find comfort when we are suffering. Thanks for all your information, it will help me, and I hope others, greatly.

Re: Gina, great news

Cynthia D on 7/18/01 at 23:04 (053654)

Gina, I'm so happy to hear that you are walking the dog again and considering mowing the lawn!! That's great news. I know what you mean about making your foot pain 'your job', I'm trying to quit that job, too. We sometimes have to mentally and spirutually move on from where we are as well as physically. I found Julie's advice about travelling very good, you don't come against your same old limits you had set for yourself when you are on new turf.

So, watch out for that lawnmower! Maybe you can mow when your husband is a work (or whomever is mowing now), so they won't think you can do it every week.

I'll be thinking of you on August 10 for your hand surgery, best wishes, and thanks for all your information about the EMG, you made it sound like a piece of cake!