Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone injections vs. cream

Posted by Dona on 7/15/01 at 09:44 (053242)

I have TTS in my right foot, same one that has PF and a heel spur. I had a cortisone injection in the heel this spring and swore I'd never have another. I had a bad case of poison oak last month and was prescribed high doses of prednisone for 2 weeks. For that time, I had almost no pain at all....anywhere. It was heaven. Now, however, the pain is worse in my foot than before...an ache across the top of the foot at the base of the toes, with more frequent bursts of sharp pain when I step wrong. The swelling under my ankle at the arch is more pronounced and along with the numbness on the sole of my foot, my toes are starting to tingle. I cannot put my full weight on it at all and my calf muscles are so sore and tight from the change in my gait. I am never barefoot and wear Birkenstocks as long as my eyes are open. I simply cannot do surgery anytime this year...next summer would be the earliest possible option. Since the prednisone did such wonders, I'm vaguely considering the cortisone injection, BUT....does it hurt as much as the one through the heel? And would PT with cortisone cream and ultrasound work almost as well if done for a long enough period? Thanks for any help and information.
Dona

Re: cortisone injections vs. cream

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 12:48 (053251)

Dona - taking down the inflammation can improve your pain level (as you've experienced with the prednisone) but it isn't likely improving your actual problem.

If the underlying problem is sturctural or something like an irritated nerve - then it needs to be addressed before you'll see any real improvement on a long term basis.

Does this make sense?

There are so many people on the board I have trouble keeping track...have you had the nerve conduction tests/and or MRI and do you have any idea what caused your problems in the first place? Have you had a bone scan or blood work?

(ps Dr Z said doctors have a little saying about steroids...something like...they make you feel real good all the way to the morgue. They are wonderful at knocking out inflammation but can also be dangerous by masking real problems underneath.

Re: cortisone injections vs. cream

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 12:48 (053251)

Dona - taking down the inflammation can improve your pain level (as you've experienced with the prednisone) but it isn't likely improving your actual problem.

If the underlying problem is sturctural or something like an irritated nerve - then it needs to be addressed before you'll see any real improvement on a long term basis.

Does this make sense?

There are so many people on the board I have trouble keeping track...have you had the nerve conduction tests/and or MRI and do you have any idea what caused your problems in the first place? Have you had a bone scan or blood work?

(ps Dr Z said doctors have a little saying about steroids...something like...they make you feel real good all the way to the morgue. They are wonderful at knocking out inflammation but can also be dangerous by masking real problems underneath.