Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How do you walk on a glass heel?

Posted by Barbara M on 7/15/01 at 19:31 (053289)

3/10/01 sustained a sudden impact injury to left heel on treadmill during a walk/run interval on a 10% incline. Immediately took hot shower, didn't apply ice. No visible swelling or bruising. Six days later tried to walk through pain during a one mile walk, couldn't finish due to increased pain. Started walking on toes, pain spreads through foot. 3/19/01 began using crutches. 4/4/01 1st visit with podiatrist, normal xray, taken off crutches and put in cam walking boot. 5/16/01 walking becomes unbearable, put back on crutches and referred for NCV study to r/o tarsal tunnel--study was normal. 5/18/01 re-injured left--landed hard on foot while hopping on right foot to relieve foot pain, now have new pain near back of ankle and left side of foot. 5/29/01 started PT and still going with tiny results. MY HEEL FEELS LIKE IT IS FULL OF GLASS. I get a STABBING, sharp, knife-like pain in tip of heel and center of foot when attempting to bear weight on heel. I also get TEARING, stinging, pulling, ripping sensation in center of foot. Also there is a DEEP TENDERNESS in foot, mostly in heel. It has been 4mos since I injured my heel and crutches are causing the other foot to have sharp heel pain. My hands are also going bad. I despartely need to come off crutches, but I am unable to do any weightbearing due to the sharp knife stabs I get in heel. So how do I get past the excruiating pain or do I have to scream and bear it? Yes, how do you walk on a 'glass heel'? Oh, is this normal for PF? My podiatrist is puzzled by my condition.

Re: How do you walk on a glass heel?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 19:43 (053290)

I would consider a local steriod injection and then physical therapy.

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 22:31 (053300)

Dr Z - are you saying this sounds typical to you? I am no doctor but this sounds rather ATYPICAL to my uneducated ears. Pain in both hands and both feet? Intense foot pain all the time and no mention of morning pain? Also no mention of bone scan or MRI but she's completely unable to weight bear?

Julie on 7/16/01 at 02:54 (053319)

I agree with Wendy. Barbara, if your pod is puzzled, he's probably right to be, and he should be referring you for tests. If he doesn't, please find a doctor who will.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/16/01 at 10:22 (053345)

I would get an MRI to help get a diagnosis

Re: Walking on Crutches

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053350)

Barbara: I've been on crutches closing in on two years. Good foot catches hell, but still works for the intermittent 50/100 yard short treks I need to make. What helps me some is being conscious about how I put both feet down. When swinging and stepping on crutches there's a tendency to 'slide' the good foot into a landing (particularly when I'm in a hurry). This places more lateral stress on the heel, creating more friction, causing aggravation, tingling, and late-in-the-day hurt. If I try my best to step down gently, and not slide to a stop . . . consciously place each foot, I do better. Taking shorter steps helps too. Also, on crutches the good foot and leg doesn't get a good workout. I hobble to the gym three times weekly exercising everything I can. I also make sure to maintain flexibility in the good leg with stretching exercises. Hands feel better with firm-rubber hand grips. You replaced your's lately? I also use Neutrogena Hand Cream for the callouses. Helps.

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 11:12 (053351)

Barbara,
I found using padded bicycle gloves saved my hands.

Re: More thoughts

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053384)

Barbara: I occasionally have 'glass' feet too. More of a hypersensitive sore-all-over-the-bottom-but-especially-the-heel feel. Can't explain it, but three circumstances seem to influence this for me. 1) Anti-inflammatories may reduce swelling, but in my case, they make my feet more tender. Maybe it's the diminished swelling that, prior-to has been serving a cushioning purpose. Anyway, the benefit doesn't exceed the cost so I stay off them now. 2) Heavier, cushioned socks also seem to be aggravating. I have better luck with thin cottons. Recently I changed to a softer, cushioned orthotic and am feeling this same effect ... waiting for it to subside. 3) Just before lunch and a

Re: More thoughts (crashed halfway thru first send)

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053386)

Barbara: I occasionally have 'glass' feet too. More of a hypersensitive sore-all-over-the-bottom-but-especially-the-heel feel. Can't explain it, but three circumstances seem to influence this for me. 1) Anti-inflammatories may reduce swelling, but in my case, they make my feet more tender. Maybe it's the diminished swelling that, prior-to has been serving a cushioning purpose. Anyway, the benefit doesn't exceed the cost so I stay off them now. 2) Heavier, cushioned socks also seem to be aggravating. I have better luck with thin cottons. Recently I changed to a softer, cushioned orthotic and am feeling this same effect ... waiting for it to subside. 3) Just before lunch and again just before dinner my feet are more sensitive. Eating a mid-morning/afternoon cookie or something doesn't help. Had a physical a short time ago and no diabetes or anything. Don't know what it is. I wonder too if pushing through the hyper-sensitivity of sore foot bottoms is OK? Doesn't seem as adverse as aggravating a fascia by digging and tugging at it.

Re: Walking on Cloud Nine

Necee on 8/01/01 at 14:14 (055100)

Well, I'm off to Wal Mart!!!! In my new Birks, oh don't worry y'all, I'm only going there for a few items, Julie told me to break them in slowly and I sure don't want to agrievate my foot any more than it already is!
Will report back this eve.
Have a great day!!
Necee

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/15/01 at 19:43 (053290)

I would consider a local steriod injection and then physical therapy.

wendyn on 7/15/01 at 22:31 (053300)

Dr Z - are you saying this sounds typical to you? I am no doctor but this sounds rather ATYPICAL to my uneducated ears. Pain in both hands and both feet? Intense foot pain all the time and no mention of morning pain? Also no mention of bone scan or MRI but she's completely unable to weight bear?

Julie on 7/16/01 at 02:54 (053319)

I agree with Wendy. Barbara, if your pod is puzzled, he's probably right to be, and he should be referring you for tests. If he doesn't, please find a doctor who will.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/16/01 at 10:22 (053345)

I would get an MRI to help get a diagnosis

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053350)

Barbara: I've been on crutches closing in on two years. Good foot catches hell, but still works for the intermittent 50/100 yard short treks I need to make. What helps me some is being conscious about how I put both feet down. When swinging and stepping on crutches there's a tendency to 'slide' the good foot into a landing (particularly when I'm in a hurry). This places more lateral stress on the heel, creating more friction, causing aggravation, tingling, and late-in-the-day hurt. If I try my best to step down gently, and not slide to a stop . . . consciously place each foot, I do better. Taking shorter steps helps too. Also, on crutches the good foot and leg doesn't get a good workout. I hobble to the gym three times weekly exercising everything I can. I also make sure to maintain flexibility in the good leg with stretching exercises. Hands feel better with firm-rubber hand grips. You replaced your's lately? I also use Neutrogena Hand Cream for the callouses. Helps.

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 11:12 (053351)

Barbara,
I found using padded bicycle gloves saved my hands.

Re: More thoughts

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053384)

Barbara: I occasionally have 'glass' feet too. More of a hypersensitive sore-all-over-the-bottom-but-especially-the-heel feel. Can't explain it, but three circumstances seem to influence this for me. 1) Anti-inflammatories may reduce swelling, but in my case, they make my feet more tender. Maybe it's the diminished swelling that, prior-to has been serving a cushioning purpose. Anyway, the benefit doesn't exceed the cost so I stay off them now. 2) Heavier, cushioned socks also seem to be aggravating. I have better luck with thin cottons. Recently I changed to a softer, cushioned orthotic and am feeling this same effect ... waiting for it to subside. 3) Just before lunch and a

Re: More thoughts (crashed halfway thru first send)

Glenn X on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053386)

Barbara: I occasionally have 'glass' feet too. More of a hypersensitive sore-all-over-the-bottom-but-especially-the-heel feel. Can't explain it, but three circumstances seem to influence this for me. 1) Anti-inflammatories may reduce swelling, but in my case, they make my feet more tender. Maybe it's the diminished swelling that, prior-to has been serving a cushioning purpose. Anyway, the benefit doesn't exceed the cost so I stay off them now. 2) Heavier, cushioned socks also seem to be aggravating. I have better luck with thin cottons. Recently I changed to a softer, cushioned orthotic and am feeling this same effect ... waiting for it to subside. 3) Just before lunch and again just before dinner my feet are more sensitive. Eating a mid-morning/afternoon cookie or something doesn't help. Had a physical a short time ago and no diabetes or anything. Don't know what it is. I wonder too if pushing through the hyper-sensitivity of sore foot bottoms is OK? Doesn't seem as adverse as aggravating a fascia by digging and tugging at it.

Re: Walking on Cloud Nine

Necee on 8/01/01 at 14:14 (055100)

Well, I'm off to Wal Mart!!!! In my new Birks, oh don't worry y'all, I'm only going there for a few items, Julie told me to break them in slowly and I sure don't want to agrievate my foot any more than it already is!
Will report back this eve.
Have a great day!!
Necee