Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

please, can doctor(s) answer my query of 7-14?

Posted by Mary De on 7/15/01 at hrmin (053307)

Sorry to be a bother, but I am quite concerned about my sudden knee pain and its relation to my PF. Could you please, please look at my previous message on 7-14 and give your thoughts? I am a low-income person and have no insurance. I have to deal with this on my own.

Thanks for your assistance!

--Mary De

Re: please, can doctor(s) answer my query of 7-14?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 06:26 (053324)

I am not sure what is going on with your knee. Very strange . Rest and you need to see a doctor at this point.

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 09:24 (053337)

Mary,
Don't want to take the place of a doctor's comment, But I have experience with developing knee problems while dealing with foot problems.

I developed something on my right knee called patella femoral complex while nursing AT/bursitis on my left foot. Treatment included adding support through taping the knee (my physical therapist taught me how), anti-inflammatories (though I have since discovered an osteoarthritis drug called Mobic seems to work much better for me other NSAIDS) and exercises to strengthen the other muscles in the leg. The gentlest ones to begin with are 1) place a pillow under you knee and gently flex it, 10 times, x 3; 2) leg lifts, 3 sets done lying on your back, then 3 sets lying on your side. Swimming also helped.

I am so sorry to hear this -- I know your frustrations and the stress you are under with getting your house built. My experience with knee problems caused by overuse is that they do heal, but they take a long time.
ellen

Mary De on 7/17/01 at hrmin (053440)

Thanks, Dr. Z and Ellen. Gee, how 'interesting' to be unique.

Dr. Z, I'd love to see a good doctor, but I just spent my very last $400 on plumbing parts (and to add insult, then the plumber didn't show up). Odd knee pain has not reoccurred the last few days, so ... I'm pretending/hoping/wishing that it won't come back. At least not now when I'm so broke.

Ellen, what is patella femoral complex? Sounds nasty.

Thanks again,
Mary De

Julie on 7/17/01 at 02:31 (053441)

Mary, I'd be willing to bet that the pain in your knee is an effect of your having changed your gait to favour your right pf foot. You've been on your feet an awful lot for someone with pf - understandably, as you've been dealing with your house. But I hope you'll soon be able to get off them and rest. The less you stand and walk for now, the quicker your pf (and I would guess your knee) will heal.

You would find an elastic knee support helpful. The elastic fibres replace lost muscle strength. I imagine that Futuro, who make the elastic ankle support many of us have used, make supports for knees as well.

But whether or not the knee pain is related to your pf, I do agree that you should see someone. I can't remember - do you have a podiatrist or are you totally on your own?

Mary De on 7/17/01 at hrmin (053446)

Thanks, Julie,

I think you're right -- I am walking 'funny' these days, and limping a far amount. I'll start wearing a knee support.

I did see a pod, who prescribed orthotics. I paid out of pocket, $400, and that was with a reduced rate. ($400 here, $400 there, pretty soon it's real money...:)

Good news is that my house is almost done; friends have been great helping. Planning to move in this weekend -- plumbing or no.

best, Mary De

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 10:04 (053473)

Hi Mary,
It where the kneecap doesn't sit in the right place over the femor bone; it can happen if your muscles get too tight or there is an imbalance in their strength and they pull the kneecap out of it's track. You get a lot of pain when you do activities that require bending the knee, like climbing stairs. And when combined with problems on the other leg, like I had (and you too seem to have the double whammy) makes it hard to get around. The fix for it was a LOT of stretching exercises, especially for the hamstrings. I do them in bed, before I get up the morning. I think Julie's suggestion of a brace could be helpful, or if you can afford to pay for a session with a PT, see if you can get someone to teach you how to tape it. If you live anywhere around a school with a physical therapy program it might be worth calling to see if the students need volunteers to practice on. Also ice it as often as you can.

My sympathies. I know how frustrating this is for you. But it's good news about your house!
ellen

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 19:42 (053534)

Mary,
Check out Dan's post on the shoe board, re. a nightsplint for sale on ebay. Might be good for you. (Sorry to post this on doc page, but I thought Mary might otherwise miss it.)
ellen

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 06:26 (053324)

I am not sure what is going on with your knee. Very strange . Rest and you need to see a doctor at this point.

ellen w on 7/16/01 at 09:24 (053337)

Mary,
Don't want to take the place of a doctor's comment, But I have experience with developing knee problems while dealing with foot problems.

I developed something on my right knee called patella femoral complex while nursing AT/bursitis on my left foot. Treatment included adding support through taping the knee (my physical therapist taught me how), anti-inflammatories (though I have since discovered an osteoarthritis drug called Mobic seems to work much better for me other NSAIDS) and exercises to strengthen the other muscles in the leg. The gentlest ones to begin with are 1) place a pillow under you knee and gently flex it, 10 times, x 3; 2) leg lifts, 3 sets done lying on your back, then 3 sets lying on your side. Swimming also helped.

I am so sorry to hear this -- I know your frustrations and the stress you are under with getting your house built. My experience with knee problems caused by overuse is that they do heal, but they take a long time.
ellen

Mary De on 7/17/01 at hrmin (053440)

Thanks, Dr. Z and Ellen. Gee, how 'interesting' to be unique.

Dr. Z, I'd love to see a good doctor, but I just spent my very last $400 on plumbing parts (and to add insult, then the plumber didn't show up). Odd knee pain has not reoccurred the last few days, so ... I'm pretending/hoping/wishing that it won't come back. At least not now when I'm so broke.

Ellen, what is patella femoral complex? Sounds nasty.

Thanks again,
Mary De

Julie on 7/17/01 at 02:31 (053441)

Mary, I'd be willing to bet that the pain in your knee is an effect of your having changed your gait to favour your right pf foot. You've been on your feet an awful lot for someone with pf - understandably, as you've been dealing with your house. But I hope you'll soon be able to get off them and rest. The less you stand and walk for now, the quicker your pf (and I would guess your knee) will heal.

You would find an elastic knee support helpful. The elastic fibres replace lost muscle strength. I imagine that Futuro, who make the elastic ankle support many of us have used, make supports for knees as well.

But whether or not the knee pain is related to your pf, I do agree that you should see someone. I can't remember - do you have a podiatrist or are you totally on your own?

Mary De on 7/17/01 at hrmin (053446)

Thanks, Julie,

I think you're right -- I am walking 'funny' these days, and limping a far amount. I'll start wearing a knee support.

I did see a pod, who prescribed orthotics. I paid out of pocket, $400, and that was with a reduced rate. ($400 here, $400 there, pretty soon it's real money...:)

Good news is that my house is almost done; friends have been great helping. Planning to move in this weekend -- plumbing or no.

best, Mary De

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 10:04 (053473)

Hi Mary,
It where the kneecap doesn't sit in the right place over the femor bone; it can happen if your muscles get too tight or there is an imbalance in their strength and they pull the kneecap out of it's track. You get a lot of pain when you do activities that require bending the knee, like climbing stairs. And when combined with problems on the other leg, like I had (and you too seem to have the double whammy) makes it hard to get around. The fix for it was a LOT of stretching exercises, especially for the hamstrings. I do them in bed, before I get up the morning. I think Julie's suggestion of a brace could be helpful, or if you can afford to pay for a session with a PT, see if you can get someone to teach you how to tape it. If you live anywhere around a school with a physical therapy program it might be worth calling to see if the students need volunteers to practice on. Also ice it as often as you can.

My sympathies. I know how frustrating this is for you. But it's good news about your house!
ellen

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 19:42 (053534)

Mary,
Check out Dan's post on the shoe board, re. a nightsplint for sale on ebay. Might be good for you. (Sorry to post this on doc page, but I thought Mary might otherwise miss it.)
ellen