Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need to add more shoes to my collection-black ones

Posted by Nancy J. on 7/16/01 at 15:14 (053373)

I have new orthotics and bought some New Balance walking shoes recently (554's) I tried on several of the recommended models, but the 554's seemed to feel best. I also bought some Romu's. Both feel like heaven (so far-but I've been fooled before). I've tried Birk's and they really hurt my arches, so they may be out for me. Anyway, what I really need now is some black shoes. I looked at the New Balance site, and they had several womens' models in black. I couldn't find black ones in the store, except for in the men's section. Any recommendations?

Re: Need to add more shoes to my collection-black ones

Nancy N on 7/16/01 at 16:32 (053383)

Nancy--

I have a pair of SAS Freetimes in black nubuck that are really nice. My mom loves hers--I haven't worn mine much yet, to be honest, so I can't offer a good opinion, but you might want to look into them.

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:00 (053445)

Nancy, I haven't any recommendations for you, but can I ask you if you've given Birks a chance? I don't think anyone finds them comfortable at first, and they need to be broken in gently, an hour a day at most (like orthotics).

I hated the first pair I had, stuck them at the back of the closet, and retrieved them ten years later when I got pf. I love them now and am always in them indoors.

But of course they may just not suit you: they don't suit everybody.

Re: Thanks

Nancy J. on 7/17/01 at 12:45 (053485)

I'll try my Birk's again. Like you, I have my original pair stuck in the closet. Maybe the problem I had last time was that I did not start off slowly.

JudyH on 7/18/01 at 20:27 (053635)

Nancy, a nurse in the doctor's office where I go suggested ANYWHERE shoes. They have a web site. They are like clogs and you feel like you're walking on a cushion of air. They are completely washable, in the dishwasher no less!!!!!!!! They come in all colors and they cost around 50.00. I love mine and wear them the minute I get out of bed in the am!!!!!!!

Nancy N on 7/16/01 at 16:32 (053383)

Nancy--

I have a pair of SAS Freetimes in black nubuck that are really nice. My mom loves hers--I haven't worn mine much yet, to be honest, so I can't offer a good opinion, but you might want to look into them.

Julie on 7/17/01 at 03:00 (053445)

Nancy, I haven't any recommendations for you, but can I ask you if you've given Birks a chance? I don't think anyone finds them comfortable at first, and they need to be broken in gently, an hour a day at most (like orthotics).

I hated the first pair I had, stuck them at the back of the closet, and retrieved them ten years later when I got pf. I love them now and am always in them indoors.

But of course they may just not suit you: they don't suit everybody.

Re: Thanks

Nancy J. on 7/17/01 at 12:45 (053485)

I'll try my Birk's again. Like you, I have my original pair stuck in the closet. Maybe the problem I had last time was that I did not start off slowly.

JudyH on 7/18/01 at 20:27 (053635)

Nancy, a nurse in the doctor's office where I go suggested ANYWHERE shoes. They have a web site. They are like clogs and you feel like you're walking on a cushion of air. They are completely washable, in the dishwasher no less!!!!!!!! They come in all colors and they cost around 50.00. I love mine and wear them the minute I get out of bed in the am!!!!!!!