Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sesamoid treatment by ossotron?

Posted by paul g on 7/16/01 at hrmin (053377)

I have been diagnosed for foot pain caused by the sesamoid bone in the ball of my left foot. According to x-rays and a bone scanI, the bone is not broken. I can tolerate walking 2-3 miles without pain, but running brings on the pain again after the run. I would like to resume running.

A bone doc has recommended surgical removal of the sesamoid bone and reefing of the tendon. An alternative was to open up the foot and drill tiny holes in the sesamoid bone to promote healing, though this treament appears to have a 50% success rate. It would seem that extracorporeal shockwave therapy such as that provided by an ossotron device might provide the same healing, and not be invasive. What do you think?

Re: sesamoid treatment by ossotron?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 20:47 (053407)

All treatments for this condition are non FDA studied. If the bone is fractured and is a non-union this would be the perfect ESWT case. ESWT is being used in Europe for bone non-unions.

Re: sesamoid treatment by ossotron?

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/16/01 at 20:47 (053407)

All treatments for this condition are non FDA studied. If the bone is fractured and is a non-union this would be the perfect ESWT case. ESWT is being used in Europe for bone non-unions.