Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on April 11

Posted by Susan U on 7/16/01 at 21:56 (053421)

Well, it's been quite a while since I posted. I had PF release on April 11. I used a walker and went to a quadcane about 5 days after surgery. My dr. believes in weight bearing right away, so I started about 3 days after surgery--slight weight bearing. My stitches were removed 1 week after surgery. I developed a minor infection which cleared up right away with anti-biotics and peroxide cleaning.

I have been back several times for post-op check-ups and things are going very well. My incision is on the inside of my foot below the ankle. It's about 1 1/2 inches long. It has healed very nicely. The only thing I still have is some discoloring of my skin above the ankle where it was very black and blue post-op.

I went to see my dr. today for my second Syn-Visc injection in my knee because I have no cartilege in there--one more injection to go and then partial knee replacement in about a year if this doesn't help. Anyway, while I was there, he gave me a cortisone injection to help with the risidual pain in my foot. Right now it only hurts on the bottom of my heal first thing in the morning and when I do too much walking or standing. He feels the shot should take care of that and I will be--PAIN FREE!!! Can you believe it?

So, the moral is, hang in there! Ice it, rest it, take your pain meds when necessary and don't be in a rush to return to work. I'm sure your dr. told you it's a very long healing process, but if you end up like me, it will be WELL worth the wait!

Best of luck to all who read this.

Re: Surgery on April 11

BrianG on 7/18/01 at 07:46 (053561)

Hi Susan,

I hope this shot will be the last piece of the puzzle. Please keep us updated. I haven't heard of too many people getting cortisone after surgery. My doc never recommended it to me. He just did a fairly good job of washing his hands and said 'oh well', to bad it didn't work out.

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 10:24 (053577)

Sometime after pf surgery you will get pain in another pf band from the compensation. i have seen this and treated this with a steriod injeciton. Also have treated this same problem after ESWT . Does work out if this is your problem

Susan U on 7/18/01 at 21:17 (053640)

Thanks for the info.

BrianG on 7/18/01 at 07:46 (053561)

Hi Susan,

I hope this shot will be the last piece of the puzzle. Please keep us updated. I haven't heard of too many people getting cortisone after surgery. My doc never recommended it to me. He just did a fairly good job of washing his hands and said 'oh well', to bad it didn't work out.

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 10:24 (053577)

Sometime after pf surgery you will get pain in another pf band from the compensation. i have seen this and treated this with a steriod injeciton. Also have treated this same problem after ESWT . Does work out if this is your problem

Susan U on 7/18/01 at 21:17 (053640)

Thanks for the info.