Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Julie/Tape

Posted by john h on 7/17/01 at 08:33 (053462)

i just read your message about 'two thin strips of tape'! are you saying you are only using to strips that criss cross as shown in scotts book? do you no add any stripps down the midline of the foot and on the edges? still trying to figure out the most effective and safe way to tape.

Re: For Julie/Tape

Julie on 7/17/01 at 09:04 (053466)

I use only two strips of tape: 3.75cm wide (about an inch and a half). The illustration of 'Scott's favourite method, which I've just looked at since he revised the book, no longer looks like it did, or like what I do.

I apply the two strips starting at the ball of the foot just beneath the toes, and continue to the heel, so that the tape curves round the heel (and shows at the back a little). I don't criss-cross them. They do overlap a little - more at the heel, because it's narrower, than at the ball.

Because it was so helpful, I never tried any of the other techniques, but I'm sure they all work. The principle is the same: to replace the support the fascia should be giving the arch, but now cannot. Try it. It's beautifully simple. If it isn't effective for you, try another. Judy likes the 'figure 8' job, I think.

(By 'thin' strips, I did not mean width, I meant depth. You were wondering if you could fit your foot into shoes and I couldn't see why, as the tape is only a fraction of a millimetre deep.)

john h on 7/17/01 at 09:37 (053470)

i remember scotts early picture with duct tape whereby you could almost use the taping as a shoe. if the two strips can do the job then obviously you could wear any shoe you want. do you dorsiflex your foot when applying the tape? The taping as you describe is basically an 'X' is that not correct? does the tape wrap around or up to the achilles tendon? with only two strips i can see why you need a good substantial tape such as luko tape which i have ordered. the tape i used yesterday took a lot of time to put on as i used so many strips and of course left a lot of residue when removing. does any of your yoga require you standing on your toes or do you avoid this at all cost. i think many of us end up on our toes and not even realize it doing our daily activities such as emptying the litter box, bending down, reaching up to high or as rock said squatting down while washing his car.

Re: For John/Tape

Julie on 7/18/01 at 02:50 (053555)

Hey, what a lot of questions in such a short post! I'll try to answer. Sorry for delay. I saw your post just before turning in last night but was ready for bed so left answering till this morning. I'm always half a day behind you lot, as you know.

Two strips do the job for me. It's less trouble, and less expensive than the full wrap, and, in my experience at least, about as supportive. I hope it will work for you too. It's certainly the simplest way to start, and if it works, you won't, like me, need to experiment further. But if it doesn't work, do experiment with other methods.

Yes, I dorsiflex the foot and pull the tape fairly tightly, starting at the ball and finishing just behind the heel. This gives the right tension for me. If I hold the foot in neutral, the tape is much too tight when I stand. You need to experiment to find the right tension for you.

I don't think I go quite as far as the Achilles. Not sure. Just about 1/2 inch up the back of the heel.

No, not an 'X'. More or less parallel, except that because the heel is narrrower than the ball, the two strips overlap more there than they do at the ball. The overlap increases as the tape covers the arch. But it would work the same way if the two strips were crossed over - I'll try that the next time I tape (I've been needing to less and less these days, just as you start!).

Nothing in yoga 'requires' anyone to do anything. It's vital to avoid movements or postures that exacerbate a painful condition. So, for a long time, of course I avoided going up on my toes. I can now - but I'm careful. And I can squat. Squats actually stretch the calf muscles, and I expect Rock's problem was that he held the position for too long (you forget how long you're in a position when fixing anything) and overstretched.

Any help?

Julie on 7/17/01 at 09:04 (053466)

I use only two strips of tape: 3.75cm wide (about an inch and a half). The illustration of 'Scott's favourite method, which I've just looked at since he revised the book, no longer looks like it did, or like what I do.

I apply the two strips starting at the ball of the foot just beneath the toes, and continue to the heel, so that the tape curves round the heel (and shows at the back a little). I don't criss-cross them. They do overlap a little - more at the heel, because it's narrower, than at the ball.

Because it was so helpful, I never tried any of the other techniques, but I'm sure they all work. The principle is the same: to replace the support the fascia should be giving the arch, but now cannot. Try it. It's beautifully simple. If it isn't effective for you, try another. Judy likes the 'figure 8' job, I think.

(By 'thin' strips, I did not mean width, I meant depth. You were wondering if you could fit your foot into shoes and I couldn't see why, as the tape is only a fraction of a millimetre deep.)

john h on 7/17/01 at 09:37 (053470)

i remember scotts early picture with duct tape whereby you could almost use the taping as a shoe. if the two strips can do the job then obviously you could wear any shoe you want. do you dorsiflex your foot when applying the tape? The taping as you describe is basically an 'X' is that not correct? does the tape wrap around or up to the achilles tendon? with only two strips i can see why you need a good substantial tape such as luko tape which i have ordered. the tape i used yesterday took a lot of time to put on as i used so many strips and of course left a lot of residue when removing. does any of your yoga require you standing on your toes or do you avoid this at all cost. i think many of us end up on our toes and not even realize it doing our daily activities such as emptying the litter box, bending down, reaching up to high or as rock said squatting down while washing his car.

Re: For John/Tape

Julie on 7/18/01 at 02:50 (053555)

Hey, what a lot of questions in such a short post! I'll try to answer. Sorry for delay. I saw your post just before turning in last night but was ready for bed so left answering till this morning. I'm always half a day behind you lot, as you know.

Two strips do the job for me. It's less trouble, and less expensive than the full wrap, and, in my experience at least, about as supportive. I hope it will work for you too. It's certainly the simplest way to start, and if it works, you won't, like me, need to experiment further. But if it doesn't work, do experiment with other methods.

Yes, I dorsiflex the foot and pull the tape fairly tightly, starting at the ball and finishing just behind the heel. This gives the right tension for me. If I hold the foot in neutral, the tape is much too tight when I stand. You need to experiment to find the right tension for you.

I don't think I go quite as far as the Achilles. Not sure. Just about 1/2 inch up the back of the heel.

No, not an 'X'. More or less parallel, except that because the heel is narrrower than the ball, the two strips overlap more there than they do at the ball. The overlap increases as the tape covers the arch. But it would work the same way if the two strips were crossed over - I'll try that the next time I tape (I've been needing to less and less these days, just as you start!).

Nothing in yoga 'requires' anyone to do anything. It's vital to avoid movements or postures that exacerbate a painful condition. So, for a long time, of course I avoided going up on my toes. I can now - but I'm careful. And I can squat. Squats actually stretch the calf muscles, and I expect Rock's problem was that he held the position for too long (you forget how long you're in a position when fixing anything) and overstretched.

Any help?