Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

boots

Posted by john h on 7/17/01 at 10:12 (053476)

has anyone ever tried boots with PF? i do not mean the slip on kind but work type boots that lace up which would provide support for ankles and extend right up to your calves. they could easily accomodate an orthotic and add more stability to your entire foot and ankle. just a passing thought.

Re: boots

Richard, C.Ped on 7/17/01 at 13:15 (053487)

I have fit orthotics to hunting boots as well as steel toe boots for factory workers. I have never had a problem with the orthotics not fitting.
Richard

Carlw on 7/17/01 at 14:13 (053501)

John,

I wore stiff construction style boots for about 3 months. They accomodated my orthotic quite nicely. I think that combined with a good orthotic (i dont think I had one) that they would be the next most supportive footwear compared to a walking cast. The main problem with them was that they were very hot to wear continuosuly and looked even more comical with a shirt and tie than my birks do. They definitely supply good stability though as there is barely any flexing at the metatarsul area.

Carl

john h on 7/17/01 at 18:12 (053525)

of course flight boots were a requirement when i was flying and they became second nature. our boots were the lace up calf length variety. once you had them laced to your liking there was a full length zipper on the side so that you could put them on and off very rapidly. they were always comfortable to me even in the heat of the jungle. i was just wondering if a supportive boot might aid in recovering from PF?

Richard, C.Ped on 7/17/01 at 13:15 (053487)

I have fit orthotics to hunting boots as well as steel toe boots for factory workers. I have never had a problem with the orthotics not fitting.
Richard

Carlw on 7/17/01 at 14:13 (053501)

John,

I wore stiff construction style boots for about 3 months. They accomodated my orthotic quite nicely. I think that combined with a good orthotic (i dont think I had one) that they would be the next most supportive footwear compared to a walking cast. The main problem with them was that they were very hot to wear continuosuly and looked even more comical with a shirt and tie than my birks do. They definitely supply good stability though as there is barely any flexing at the metatarsul area.

Carl

john h on 7/17/01 at 18:12 (053525)

of course flight boots were a requirement when i was flying and they became second nature. our boots were the lace up calf length variety. once you had them laced to your liking there was a full length zipper on the side so that you could put them on and off very rapidly. they were always comfortable to me even in the heat of the jungle. i was just wondering if a supportive boot might aid in recovering from PF?