Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stiff Shoes?

Posted by Carlw on 7/17/01 at 14:27 (053505)

I was rereading a section in the PFbook about shoes. Scott details why he is in favour of shoes that bend easily at the metatarsul area. His logic is sound. He even goes on to describe how he places cuts on the bottom of his shoes to insure that flexibility. However it seems to go against the general idea of birks being stiff in this area. Is is the loose fitting nature of birks that still makes them ok? Would this make stiff work/hiking boots with minimal flexibility less functional?

Re: Stiff Shoes?

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 15:35 (053510)

Carl,
I can't answer your questions re. birks, but you've voiced something I've been wondering re. Scott's book -- his suggestion on flexibility vs. what has been said for the need for stiff support. I've been finding Saucony sneakers working for me. They are stiff in the arch area, but then have slits already cut in them that make them bend at the ball of the foot and the toes.
ellen

Julie on 7/17/01 at 16:28 (053514)

Carl, Birks do bend at the metatarsal.

Carlw on 7/17/01 at 16:43 (053516)

Although my birks (Arizonas) bend a tiny bit at the metatarsul they are nowhere near as flexible as my runners (Asics). I definitely prefer the birks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/17/01 at 21:05 (053541)

You want the shoe to be stiff in the shank( arch) area and flexible in the metatarsal area ( ball of the foot)

Re: flexibility

laura I on 7/26/01 at 21:34 (054405)

does anyone know if other shoes are as flexible i.e, naot or mephisto?
in addition to heel spurs I also have bunion problems

ellen w on 7/17/01 at 15:35 (053510)

Carl,
I can't answer your questions re. birks, but you've voiced something I've been wondering re. Scott's book -- his suggestion on flexibility vs. what has been said for the need for stiff support. I've been finding Saucony sneakers working for me. They are stiff in the arch area, but then have slits already cut in them that make them bend at the ball of the foot and the toes.
ellen

Julie on 7/17/01 at 16:28 (053514)

Carl, Birks do bend at the metatarsal.

Carlw on 7/17/01 at 16:43 (053516)

Although my birks (Arizonas) bend a tiny bit at the metatarsul they are nowhere near as flexible as my runners (Asics). I definitely prefer the birks.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/17/01 at 21:05 (053541)

You want the shoe to be stiff in the shank( arch) area and flexible in the metatarsal area ( ball of the foot)

Re: flexibility

laura I on 7/26/01 at 21:34 (054405)

does anyone know if other shoes are as flexible i.e, naot or mephisto?
in addition to heel spurs I also have bunion problems