Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spur

Posted by Geoff C on 7/18/01 at hrmin (053560)

I have just been diagnosed by x ray of having:
1. Small spur, posterior-inferior margin, calcaneum
2. Prominant spur, insertion, tendo-achilles

I would appreciate guidance regarding appropriate treatment and ongoing managment.

Re: Heel spur

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 10:22 (053576)

So what was your doctor' plan. Avoid steriod injections. They can damage and or rupture the achilles tenodon. Heel lifts and or orthosis may be indicated. No bare feet and rest . Are you having pain is this stopping you from walking.

Julie on 7/18/01 at 11:26 (053581)

Geoff, you would do well to study the heel pain book, which you will find by clicking on its blue title here. There are many treatments to be investigated, and the more information you have, the better able you'll be to actively involve yourself in your healing.

Are you having pain? Do be aware that the 'spur' is rarely the cause of heel pain. Taping can take the strain off the plantar fascia and thus contribute to healing as well as relieve pain; icing will reduce inflammation; appropriate non weight-bearing stretching will lengthen the tight calf muscles that are often a contributory cause.

Is your doctor a podiatrist or orthopaedist? Has your gait been evaluated to see whether there are biomechanical faults that could be corrected by custom orthotics? It's important to address the cause of whatever the problem is.

stacey s on 7/18/01 at hrmin (053604)

are the heel spurs can be heeled or stacy with you for ever ?or are there any way you get get rid of them beside surgley. thank you stacey

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 19:58 (053629)

Heel spurs are a reaction to a tear or stress at the attachment of the plantar fascia to the bottom of the heel bone. Yes the pain can be resolved without surgery. Take a look at the heel pain book. Just remember two things

1. Early treatment is the cure.
Ingore heel pain and you will limp for ever.

2.Heel spur pain is a repetitive motion injury and yes it must have rest to heal.

Geoff C on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053686)

Thankyou Dr Zuckerman for your guidance. I have been commenced on course of oral prednisone of reducing doses 25mg BD for 3 days then 25mg daily for 3 days then 1/2 tab daily for 3 days. I am receiving some pain which is limiting my activity. I am seeing a Podiatrist tomorrow for reveiw.

Once I am hopefully pain free is it advised to conduct non weight bearing stretches of my achilles?.

Julie on 7/19/01 at 06:58 (053688)

Geoff, yes, I believe that non weight-bearing stretching is best. But tendons don't stretch, and you'll be aiming to maintain and increase flexibility in your calf muscles.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 10:22 (053576)

So what was your doctor' plan. Avoid steriod injections. They can damage and or rupture the achilles tenodon. Heel lifts and or orthosis may be indicated. No bare feet and rest . Are you having pain is this stopping you from walking.

Julie on 7/18/01 at 11:26 (053581)

Geoff, you would do well to study the heel pain book, which you will find by clicking on its blue title here. There are many treatments to be investigated, and the more information you have, the better able you'll be to actively involve yourself in your healing.

Are you having pain? Do be aware that the 'spur' is rarely the cause of heel pain. Taping can take the strain off the plantar fascia and thus contribute to healing as well as relieve pain; icing will reduce inflammation; appropriate non weight-bearing stretching will lengthen the tight calf muscles that are often a contributory cause.

Is your doctor a podiatrist or orthopaedist? Has your gait been evaluated to see whether there are biomechanical faults that could be corrected by custom orthotics? It's important to address the cause of whatever the problem is.

stacey s on 7/18/01 at hrmin (053604)

are the heel spurs can be heeled or stacy with you for ever ?or are there any way you get get rid of them beside surgley. thank you stacey

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/18/01 at 19:58 (053629)

Heel spurs are a reaction to a tear or stress at the attachment of the plantar fascia to the bottom of the heel bone. Yes the pain can be resolved without surgery. Take a look at the heel pain book. Just remember two things

1. Early treatment is the cure.
Ingore heel pain and you will limp for ever.

2.Heel spur pain is a repetitive motion injury and yes it must have rest to heal.

Geoff C on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053686)

Thankyou Dr Zuckerman for your guidance. I have been commenced on course of oral prednisone of reducing doses 25mg BD for 3 days then 25mg daily for 3 days then 1/2 tab daily for 3 days. I am receiving some pain which is limiting my activity. I am seeing a Podiatrist tomorrow for reveiw.

Once I am hopefully pain free is it advised to conduct non weight bearing stretches of my achilles?.

Julie on 7/19/01 at 06:58 (053688)

Geoff, yes, I believe that non weight-bearing stretching is best. But tendons don't stretch, and you'll be aiming to maintain and increase flexibility in your calf muscles.