Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does this sound like TTS?

Posted by David C on 7/18/01 at 09:49 (053572)

For the past two years I have been slowly driven insane by a very focused, burning, itching, electric sensation on the outside of my right heel. In reading about TTS it appears that I have many of the symptoms, but not on the inside of my foot. If one looked at the heel and imagined a clock face, the problem is occurring precisely at two o'clock.

The sensation comes and goes. It usually occurs whenever anything -- shoes, sheets -- contacts or even brushes against the affected area. Driving exacerbates the problem as my right heel is on the floor all of the time.

Sleeping is the big issue. Insomnia is driving me crazy. The sensation builds and builds and only diminishes for a moment if I scratch the area.

What type of doctor should I consult and could this be TTS on the outside of the foot so another condition.

TIA

Re: No, not TTS

elliott on 7/18/01 at 10:07 (053573)

Take a look at the photos in the first link at the top fo the forum. The TTS nerve runs down the inner side of your foot, not where you indicate.

Hard to tell exactly by your 2-o'clock description, but it sounds like it could be your superficial peroneal nerve. Do a search on that; if you can't find anything, let me know and I'll type more when I have time. You may want to provide other details such as how you got it (tight shoes? athletic activity?).

It's definitely not TTS. People often post here thinking any nerve trouble might be TTS. Maybe we should have a separate Neuropathy forum for non-TTS ailments. Just a thought, although then it's not even close to heel-related pain any more, the theme of this general site.

Re: No, not TTS

elliott on 7/18/01 at 10:07 (053573)

Take a look at the photos in the first link at the top fo the forum. The TTS nerve runs down the inner side of your foot, not where you indicate.

Hard to tell exactly by your 2-o'clock description, but it sounds like it could be your superficial peroneal nerve. Do a search on that; if you can't find anything, let me know and I'll type more when I have time. You may want to provide other details such as how you got it (tight shoes? athletic activity?).

It's definitely not TTS. People often post here thinking any nerve trouble might be TTS. Maybe we should have a separate Neuropathy forum for non-TTS ailments. Just a thought, although then it's not even close to heel-related pain any more, the theme of this general site.