Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone have an idea on good shoes for guys?

Posted by Tim H on 7/18/01 at hrmin (053593)

It seems like all the postings here have to do with women's shoes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but what about the guys?! For dress/casual shoes, I've been buying Rockports for the past few years, but I've noticed some quality problems in my past few sets of shoes from them (e.g., slight rises in the area of the ball of the foot that I can feel through my soft inserts) Anybody have success with other brands? Of course, a prerequisite would be a removable insole so I can sub in whatever soft insert I like.

For sneakers, I used to get Nike running shoes, but recently switched to Rebok walkers. They're great, but I can't very well wear them to work!

Re: Anyone have an idea on good shoes for guys?

Richard, C.Ped on 7/18/01 at 16:23 (053603)

Hi Tim,
I like Drew shoes. They are considered an extra depth shoe which will accomodate full lenght orthotics. I have two pair of the Radford saddle shoes. One brown and one black. Great dress shoes and very comfortable.
Richard

Tim H on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053693)

What kind of store can you buy these shoes at? I bet they're more expensive, but it sounds like they're worth it.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/19/01 at 10:58 (053719)

They are expensive, but worth it for good shoes. They usually run around
$180.00. Look for pedorthic facilities or orthopedic shoe stores. Drew is a huge name in orthopedic shoes.
Richard

Beverly on 7/19/01 at 17:22 (053755)

Tim,

I don't know where you live but if you have a Larry's Shoes in your area, they have more men's shoes (and many quality brands) than I have ever seen. Actually, I've never seen so many shoes in one place as at Larry's.
Nortstrum's (spelling) department stores also have lots and lots of shoes.

I have a wide foot and so I often wear men's shoes. Besides Drew, another orthopedic line is called Ambulator. Some of them look similiar to Rockports but they were made to accomodate orthodics. You get them from an orthodist. They have lace up leather styles, velcro styles, and some really ugly spandex styles. They are expensive, but I've found them worth the $$. They come in many sizes/widths, and seem to run big.

When I go to the orthodist, I always ask to browse through his catalogs. At least mine, is happy to do special orders. I never know which size I'll wear, and so he orders several different size/widths and sends the wrong ones back.
Best luck,
Beverly

Tim H on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053834)

I live in Maryland. How does one find an orthodist - I've never heard of them before. Suppose I should check the yellow pages before I ask this.

Clifford C on 7/21/01 at 00:09 (053879)

I have a high arch and PF. I've found that Merrill shoes (like the Jungle Moc) have good arch support (about $60). You can get them through several outlets, including the web.

I'm also very fond of my Mozo Shoes. You can get them from some local outlets, but the best selection is on the web (about $110 or so). I wear them daily so they do wear out, but they can be re-soled to save a little money. They also look really cool.

Marvin L on 7/22/01 at 10:21 (053961)

I have found that a flat shoe like to old Jack Purcell tennis shoe with an orthotic is the most comfortable shoe. You might want to add a gel cushion over the heel portion of the orthotic if it is too hard in that area. At night, I wear elastic ankle bands to hold the plantar in place while sleeping. Birkenstocks are also good to alternate with the flat bottom shoes and I wear rubber birks in the shower. I never go without shoes.

Lisa C on 7/23/01 at 01:45 (053996)

Could you tell us more about the elastic ankle bands? Are they a substitute for a night splint or are they like an ankle support?

Richard, C.Ped on 7/18/01 at 16:23 (053603)

Hi Tim,
I like Drew shoes. They are considered an extra depth shoe which will accomodate full lenght orthotics. I have two pair of the Radford saddle shoes. One brown and one black. Great dress shoes and very comfortable.
Richard

Tim H on 7/19/01 at hrmin (053693)

What kind of store can you buy these shoes at? I bet they're more expensive, but it sounds like they're worth it.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/19/01 at 10:58 (053719)

They are expensive, but worth it for good shoes. They usually run around
$180.00. Look for pedorthic facilities or orthopedic shoe stores. Drew is a huge name in orthopedic shoes.
Richard

Beverly on 7/19/01 at 17:22 (053755)

Tim,

I don't know where you live but if you have a Larry's Shoes in your area, they have more men's shoes (and many quality brands) than I have ever seen. Actually, I've never seen so many shoes in one place as at Larry's.
Nortstrum's (spelling) department stores also have lots and lots of shoes.

I have a wide foot and so I often wear men's shoes. Besides Drew, another orthopedic line is called Ambulator. Some of them look similiar to Rockports but they were made to accomodate orthodics. You get them from an orthodist. They have lace up leather styles, velcro styles, and some really ugly spandex styles. They are expensive, but I've found them worth the $$. They come in many sizes/widths, and seem to run big.

When I go to the orthodist, I always ask to browse through his catalogs. At least mine, is happy to do special orders. I never know which size I'll wear, and so he orders several different size/widths and sends the wrong ones back.
Best luck,
Beverly

Tim H on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053834)

I live in Maryland. How does one find an orthodist - I've never heard of them before. Suppose I should check the yellow pages before I ask this.

Clifford C on 7/21/01 at 00:09 (053879)

I have a high arch and PF. I've found that Merrill shoes (like the Jungle Moc) have good arch support (about $60). You can get them through several outlets, including the web.

I'm also very fond of my Mozo Shoes. You can get them from some local outlets, but the best selection is on the web (about $110 or so). I wear them daily so they do wear out, but they can be re-soled to save a little money. They also look really cool.

Marvin L on 7/22/01 at 10:21 (053961)

I have found that a flat shoe like to old Jack Purcell tennis shoe with an orthotic is the most comfortable shoe. You might want to add a gel cushion over the heel portion of the orthotic if it is too hard in that area. At night, I wear elastic ankle bands to hold the plantar in place while sleeping. Birkenstocks are also good to alternate with the flat bottom shoes and I wear rubber birks in the shower. I never go without shoes.

Lisa C on 7/23/01 at 01:45 (053996)

Could you tell us more about the elastic ankle bands? Are they a substitute for a night splint or are they like an ankle support?