Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

LARGE HEEL SPUR

Posted by JudyH on 7/18/01 at hrmin (053632)

I was just at my DPM's office and he gave me a cortisone shot which is giving me much relief from my PF but I was wondering if I will have to continue all this treatment forever!!!!!! Also, It's hard to believe that the large heel spur, confirmed on x-ray is not constantly irritating the PF!! Anybody have an opinion on that?

Re: LARGE HEEL SPUR

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/18/01 at 22:20 (053645)

SOooo many people with heel spurs do NOT have pain. It does NOT cause pain. I use two or three injections 1-2 weeks apart followed by ultra sound if there is any pain left at that point. Of course, this is with stretchng and proper shoes, heel cups, orthotics, etc.

Julie on 7/19/01 at 02:58 (053671)

...and rest. Stay off your feet as much as possible to give the fascia(s) a chance to heal. Never go barefoot.

Read the heel pain book to inform yourself, and involve yourself in a comprehensive treatment programme.

Judy H. on 7/19/01 at 08:18 (053694)

Thank-you so much for the advice, I will try to follow it because the pain if you don't follow those steps is debilitating.........I think most people have no idea. Dr. Reid, when would a Dr. opt to remove a heel spur? Should I question the wisdom of surgery if it suggested right off the bat? Thank-you for your help, I'm so glad I found this web site!!!!!!

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/18/01 at 22:20 (053645)

SOooo many people with heel spurs do NOT have pain. It does NOT cause pain. I use two or three injections 1-2 weeks apart followed by ultra sound if there is any pain left at that point. Of course, this is with stretchng and proper shoes, heel cups, orthotics, etc.

Julie on 7/19/01 at 02:58 (053671)

...and rest. Stay off your feet as much as possible to give the fascia(s) a chance to heal. Never go barefoot.

Read the heel pain book to inform yourself, and involve yourself in a comprehensive treatment programme.

Judy H. on 7/19/01 at 08:18 (053694)

Thank-you so much for the advice, I will try to follow it because the pain if you don't follow those steps is debilitating.........I think most people have no idea. Dr. Reid, when would a Dr. opt to remove a heel spur? Should I question the wisdom of surgery if it suggested right off the bat? Thank-you for your help, I'm so glad I found this web site!!!!!!