Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

VIRUS~~~COULD IT BE........

Posted by Donna M on 7/19/01 at 14:58 (053740)

Just wanted to tell you that I had the Richard Rico-Subject: Staff, on another email that I use!
I 'rarely ever' use that email address and the 'worm' was sent to it!
Just want to find out if any of you went to the site that was posted by Jeff on 7/14/01, the foot shop? I did and checked out the things there and THAT is where I used the other email address!
I wonder if the virus has something to do with that site or could be coming from there?
I don't know that much about computers, but I do know that is the only place, other than my daughter, that has that address, and she hasn't had the virus sent to her!

Donna

Re: VIRUS~~~COULD IT BE........TO SCOTT

Laurie R on 7/19/01 at 15:52 (053744)

Hi Donna , This is very weird... How would you get an email from my husband ,when we do not have your address...??? I have never emailed you ,I'm sure you can vouch for that.

Also I never checked out the site the foot shop. So I really don't think that has anything to do with it....

Scott I have a question for you... How can emails be sent from my husband name and an email address that we have 'NEVER' used to people from this board??? I have never emailed any of these people and I don't even have their addresses...If you can help us in any way I would really appreciate it...
Laurie R

Re: VIRUS~~~COULD IT BE........TO LAURIE

Donna M on 7/19/01 at 17:41 (053758)

Laurie, I didn't realize this was your husband. If it was in some of the messages I must have overlooked it.
No, you have never emailed me, and if you had from this site, it would not have been the email address the virus came in on!!!
What I was trying to say earlier, is I wonder if someone connected with that site has anything to do with it??!!
If someone else had gone to that site and then was somehow infected and didn't know it, and then emailed someone else, that is how it could have happened. You may have never been to that site, but if someone else had and got the virus, it then could have been sent to you.
Like I said, I don't know much of anything about computers, but I do know that you or your hubby had nothing to do with it!! I just think you are an innocent bystander and it has been given to you through someone else!!
Like I said about that email address I used that the virus came in on, nobody but my daughter had that address, until I entered it at that site, thefootshop.com.
I hope we find some answers!!

Donna

BrianG on 7/19/01 at 18:41 (053762)

I got 3 of the e-mails from Richard Ricco. Thanks for the warning, as I haven't opened them up. I'm going to forward one to Webtv, maybe they can figure it out. I'll then delete the rest. Virus's work in very weird ways !!! This is the 1st one I've gotten at my home account. I got a couple years ago at work. There are some real ass*oles out there !!!! And I'm not pointing any fingers here, we are just somehow involved, innocently I hope.

BCG

Re: GOT IT TOO!!!!!

Carmen H on 7/19/01 at 19:16 (053766)

I got it this morning. Didn't open it though. I NEVER open email from ANYONE I don't know at ALL. Always check on the MSN web site for viruses that you aren't sure of.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/19/01 at 22:06 (053778)

I got 2 emails today from your husband's address also.

Re: VIRUS~~~COULD IT BE........

Lisa C on 7/20/01 at 02:32 (053794)

I never went to that site.

Jeff on 7/20/01 at 22:30 (053868)

Donna, Please be careful when trying to target the origin of any virus. Myfootshop.com is clean. I ran a McAfee scan today and found no evidence of any virus. Checking my email back to 7-1, I have no record of any messages from Richard Rico.
Jeff

wendyn on 7/20/01 at 23:45 (053875)

Jeff - I went to your website - and never received the virus.....just a conincidence of timing.

john h on 7/23/01 at 09:49 (054016)

laurie: there are many many ways determined hackers can find all of our addressses. There are sites set up that allow people to send out mail under any name they want and you cannot trace it back to the original sender. whether you know it or not your life is almost an open book to determined hackers. if you are on a line other than a dialup they can enter your computer and gather all the information on it. If someone can pickup your social security number at the supermarket or where ever they can gather all your credit history and a lot about your life. most of us will only fall prey to some high school geniuses sending us viruses but these same kids have the wherewithall to break into some of the most sophisticated top secret sites in the world.

Laurie R on 7/19/01 at 15:52 (053744)

Hi Donna , This is very weird... How would you get an email from my husband ,when we do not have your address...??? I have never emailed you ,I'm sure you can vouch for that.

Also I never checked out the site the foot shop. So I really don't think that has anything to do with it....

Scott I have a question for you... How can emails be sent from my husband name and an email address that we have 'NEVER' used to people from this board??? I have never emailed any of these people and I don't even have their addresses...If you can help us in any way I would really appreciate it...
Laurie R

Donna M on 7/19/01 at 17:41 (053758)

Laurie, I didn't realize this was your husband. If it was in some of the messages I must have overlooked it.
No, you have never emailed me, and if you had from this site, it would not have been the email address the virus came in on!!!
What I was trying to say earlier, is I wonder if someone connected with that site has anything to do with it??!!
If someone else had gone to that site and then was somehow infected and didn't know it, and then emailed someone else, that is how it could have happened. You may have never been to that site, but if someone else had and got the virus, it then could have been sent to you.
Like I said, I don't know much of anything about computers, but I do know that you or your hubby had nothing to do with it!! I just think you are an innocent bystander and it has been given to you through someone else!!
Like I said about that email address I used that the virus came in on, nobody but my daughter had that address, until I entered it at that site, thefootshop.com.
I hope we find some answers!!

Donna

BrianG on 7/19/01 at 18:41 (053762)

I got 3 of the e-mails from Richard Ricco. Thanks for the warning, as I haven't opened them up. I'm going to forward one to Webtv, maybe they can figure it out. I'll then delete the rest. Virus's work in very weird ways !!! This is the 1st one I've gotten at my home account. I got a couple years ago at work. There are some real ass*oles out there !!!! And I'm not pointing any fingers here, we are just somehow involved, innocently I hope.

BCG

Re: GOT IT TOO!!!!!

Carmen H on 7/19/01 at 19:16 (053766)

I got it this morning. Didn't open it though. I NEVER open email from ANYONE I don't know at ALL. Always check on the MSN web site for viruses that you aren't sure of.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/19/01 at 22:06 (053778)

I got 2 emails today from your husband's address also.

Lisa C on 7/20/01 at 02:32 (053794)

I never went to that site.

Jeff on 7/20/01 at 22:30 (053868)

Donna, Please be careful when trying to target the origin of any virus. Myfootshop.com is clean. I ran a McAfee scan today and found no evidence of any virus. Checking my email back to 7-1, I have no record of any messages from Richard Rico.
Jeff

wendyn on 7/20/01 at 23:45 (053875)

Jeff - I went to your website - and never received the virus.....just a conincidence of timing.

john h on 7/23/01 at 09:49 (054016)

laurie: there are many many ways determined hackers can find all of our addressses. There are sites set up that allow people to send out mail under any name they want and you cannot trace it back to the original sender. whether you know it or not your life is almost an open book to determined hackers. if you are on a line other than a dialup they can enter your computer and gather all the information on it. If someone can pickup your social security number at the supermarket or where ever they can gather all your credit history and a lot about your life. most of us will only fall prey to some high school geniuses sending us viruses but these same kids have the wherewithall to break into some of the most sophisticated top secret sites in the world.