Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Blood Test for PF

Posted by Steve M on 7/19/01 at 20:50 (053767)

Well I have not written to the board in quite a while. I have PF in both feet for about 15 months now. It seems to come and go. I got new rigid 3/4 custom orthotics with a grove for the tendon in the arch about 4 months ago. I do not get the sharp pain in my arch or heel now but when it is inflamed I get a burning pain in the arch and some times in the entire foot. I have been doing iceing and stretching for about 7 months now. I no longer go barefoot and have good shoes for the orthotics and wear birks in the house and shower. Well since the pain is still there I went to see my DPM today. He listened and suggested a series of blood test be taken. They are 'Hemogram', 'Sed Rate', 'Rheum Factor' all Level A. I am not sure what these are for, can someone tell me. He said he would call me with the results if there is a problem.

He also gave me a Rx for 25 mg Vioxx to take for 2 to 4 weeks. And if I am still having problems he wants to give me injections in both feet 1 to 3 times. He said the last resort is surgery. Which I told him I do not want. Can anyone tell me about these blood test. And what do people think about the injections should I get them. I am starting to think that since I have PF for so long I may never get rid of it. Thanks for your thoughts

Re: Blood Test for PF

Kathy L. T. on 7/19/01 at 21:13 (053768)

A hemogram is a combination of tests that include a white blood cell count (checking for infection most likely) a hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell count(checking for anemia) a sed rate is non specific test that
can indicate an inflammatory process, a rheum factor is a screening test for rheumatoid arthritis, however a positive test does not always mean that a person in fact has rheumatoid arthritis. I had an injection and it did not help, I also tried vioxx and relafen(sp?), no luck either, then did a medrol dose pack and started mobic-at first I would say I had a 80% improvement then when the dose pack was done but have kind of settled in, now that I am 10 days past dose pack at about a 50% improvement. Hopefully it lasts. I wear reeboks with dmx heel all the time and they feel the best, I have a pair of birks but cannot tolerate them for very long or if I walk very far. They are a little better than most other shoes however.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/19/01 at 21:48 (053770)

First of all, the blood tests are to rule out arthritis causes for the heel pain. i use injections on a regular basis and they do work on 85% of the people I see, along with all the other txj - stretching, heel cups, etc.

Kathy L. T. on 7/19/01 at 21:13 (053768)

A hemogram is a combination of tests that include a white blood cell count (checking for infection most likely) a hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell count(checking for anemia) a sed rate is non specific test that
can indicate an inflammatory process, a rheum factor is a screening test for rheumatoid arthritis, however a positive test does not always mean that a person in fact has rheumatoid arthritis. I had an injection and it did not help, I also tried vioxx and relafen(sp?), no luck either, then did a medrol dose pack and started mobic-at first I would say I had a 80% improvement then when the dose pack was done but have kind of settled in, now that I am 10 days past dose pack at about a 50% improvement. Hopefully it lasts. I wear reeboks with dmx heel all the time and they feel the best, I have a pair of birks but cannot tolerate them for very long or if I walk very far. They are a little better than most other shoes however.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/19/01 at 21:48 (053770)

First of all, the blood tests are to rule out arthritis causes for the heel pain. i use injections on a regular basis and they do work on 85% of the people I see, along with all the other txj - stretching, heel cups, etc.