Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pre-op Q & A with Ortho today

Posted by CindyF on 7/19/01 at 23:57 (053783)

Well..I took ya'lls advise...I went to see my Orthopedic Dr. today for a question and answer session...
Well..I was mistaken about the TTS on both sides..(thanks Elliot...you were right)..I have TTS and trapped nerves which run from the middle part of the foot...out to the toes.
He said the name....but I can't remember it.
Anyway...he basically told me I would be having 2 incisions approx 4 in. in length...one on each side of my foot...
I will have the scar tissue removed...and all the trapped nerves taken care of....then I will have a cast and be non weight bearing for 3-4 weeks...then will slowly crutch walk until I can walk on my own...
He stated this will take months to recover from it...and for me not to get impatient and push it....he stated the best recovery is to give it plenty of rest.
He also started me right now taking Vit. C and Vit. E...3 times a day each....my surgery is in 1 week.....
Oh...and he did something for me that I wish he would have done months ago...he gave me a cam walking boot...it has made such an improvement in my pain....and my ability to walk for longer periods of time....
So...if you are suffering so bad right now that you can't walk thru the store for groceries...ask for one...it will help!!!
He also gave me some bad news...he said I will have to some day have my ankle bone fused together...due to deteriazation of the ankle bone...caused by the massive infection I had back in 1996....
And...he basically told me I would probably never be able to go back to my old job as a nurse....I walk the floor too much....(very sad)...I Love that job too...
He tried to convince me today that there are places for nurses behind a desk...but to me...Nursing is the hands on ....with the day to day helping of the patients...
I will just have to prove him wrong....I will follow everything to the letter...and I will have a comeback....mark these words!!!!
Well..I guess I will post again after my surgery day....
Wish me luck...because I have to admit...I'm scared...
I'm sure it's bad enough with the one incision...but one on both sides sounds like double the pain to me...*L*
Thanks for listening...
Cindy

Re: Pre-op Q & A with Ortho today

Stephanie Adams on 7/24/01 at hrmin (054132)

Good luck on the surgery. I am just going to tell you that the pain of the actual surgery is nothing mine did not even hurt. It is just the walking and getting it back to full strength, 10 weeks post-op yesterday and the pain is still there. I think there was no actual pain because the area stays numb so long. I find out tommorrow when I can return to work, I also am a nurse, I am supposed to go back august 5 but I don't see how I can, when I can't walk still without a limp and there is no way I can stay on my feet 8 hours. Who knows. Well I wish you all the best and keep being determined to get back to work, I tell you, you will have some lows. But as others say here it does get better.

Re: Pre-op Q & A with Ortho today

Stephanie Adams on 7/24/01 at hrmin (054132)

Good luck on the surgery. I am just going to tell you that the pain of the actual surgery is nothing mine did not even hurt. It is just the walking and getting it back to full strength, 10 weeks post-op yesterday and the pain is still there. I think there was no actual pain because the area stays numb so long. I find out tommorrow when I can return to work, I also am a nurse, I am supposed to go back august 5 but I don't see how I can, when I can't walk still without a limp and there is no way I can stay on my feet 8 hours. Who knows. Well I wish you all the best and keep being determined to get back to work, I tell you, you will have some lows. But as others say here it does get better.