Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fibromyalgia?

Posted by Brenda G. on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053842)

Hi. I've had PF for about 9 months and am getting better. However over the past month my sleep , which has never been very good, has gotten worse and worse. As of the past 2 weeks (I usually go to bed with slight foot pain even after icing each night) after 15 minutes in bed, I begin horrible, horrible, almost burning hip and upper leg pain, especially in the front of both legs in the hip area, also lower back pain. As I have had 2 herniated discs, I surmised it was sciatica, but never have I had sciatica this high up, in both legs, and in the front. It has occurred to me that it feels very much like my early PF, a burning, intense pain that occurred all over the bottom of my feet. Of course that was with me 24 hours a day and this pain begins only after I lie down. Has anyone else ever experienced this, could it be fibromyalgia? I would appreciate any info. Thanks. Brenda

Re: Fibromyalgia?

Julie on 7/21/01 at 01:26 (053885)

Brenda, I don't know if it could be fibromyalgia - have you asked your doctor?

It's possible that changing the way you walk while you've had PF has had knock-on effects on your legs, hips and lower back. Nothing in the body happens in isolation. There is always compensation for a pain in the foot; all the structures above it get involved. If the compensation has affected your lower back, there could now be nerve impingement, which might explain the burning pain you're getting. It could be the sciatic nerve - it's the longest nerve in the body, starting at the lumbar-sacral joint and ending in the foot. But no point trying so self-diagnose on the internet: I'm just guessing. See the doctor.

I don't know why it's worse when you lie down. But it might be worth trying a herbal relaxant to help you get some sleep..

Re: Idea for better Sleep......

Carmen H on 7/21/01 at 09:59 (053906)

Brenda~

The herbal relaxant is a great suggestion by Julie. I strongly recommend Valerian Root and if you're nervous about taking herbs (some people are) there is a tea by Celestial Seasonings with Valerian in it. Chammomile.
It's a guaranteed good nights sleep for me every time. I have been taking it for a few years.

Brenda G. on 7/21/01 at 13:24 (053924)

Thanks to both of you, I'll try the tea, so far Tylenol PM has helped but even that has failed this week, with that horrible pain. Brenda

Re: No side effects

CArmen H on 7/21/01 at 19:47 (053939)

Valerian and the tea doesn't give the dreaded 'sleep pil hangover' and your energy is the same the next morning. Another reason I love it.

Isadora P. on 7/25/01 at 20:51 (054305)

I take aspirin and an herbal sleep remedy that Trader Joe's sells that seems to help me sleep better.

Re: Fibromyalgia?

Julie on 7/21/01 at 01:26 (053885)

Brenda, I don't know if it could be fibromyalgia - have you asked your doctor?

It's possible that changing the way you walk while you've had PF has had knock-on effects on your legs, hips and lower back. Nothing in the body happens in isolation. There is always compensation for a pain in the foot; all the structures above it get involved. If the compensation has affected your lower back, there could now be nerve impingement, which might explain the burning pain you're getting. It could be the sciatic nerve - it's the longest nerve in the body, starting at the lumbar-sacral joint and ending in the foot. But no point trying so self-diagnose on the internet: I'm just guessing. See the doctor.

I don't know why it's worse when you lie down. But it might be worth trying a herbal relaxant to help you get some sleep..

Carmen H on 7/21/01 at 09:59 (053906)

Brenda~

The herbal relaxant is a great suggestion by Julie. I strongly recommend Valerian Root and if you're nervous about taking herbs (some people are) there is a tea by Celestial Seasonings with Valerian in it. Chammomile.
It's a guaranteed good nights sleep for me every time. I have been taking it for a few years.

Brenda G. on 7/21/01 at 13:24 (053924)

Thanks to both of you, I'll try the tea, so far Tylenol PM has helped but even that has failed this week, with that horrible pain. Brenda

Re: No side effects

CArmen H on 7/21/01 at 19:47 (053939)

Valerian and the tea doesn't give the dreaded 'sleep pil hangover' and your energy is the same the next morning. Another reason I love it.

Isadora P. on 7/25/01 at 20:51 (054305)

I take aspirin and an herbal sleep remedy that Trader Joe's sells that seems to help me sleep better.