Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Step-sons "clubbed" foot

Posted by Shelly R. on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053870)

My 12 year old step-son has been walking abnormally for as long as I have known him.
His left foot turns inward when he takes a step. He has been walking like this for his whole life...but now, his mother has decided to take him to a chiropractor to help fix it!
I personally don't believe that the chiropractor can help with this kind of a problem. I am asking if anyone has any advice as to who or where I should take him to have this corrected properly! Or reassurance if you believe the chiropractor is helpfull with these matters.
Thanks Shelly

Re: Step-sons "clubbed" foot

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053871)

This may be biased, but he should see a podiatric surgeon.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/24/01 at 08:27 (054099)

I agree with Dr. Reid. He should see the surgeon first. There are also ways to treat this pedorthically, along with medical intervention. Different shoes and shoe modifications, orthosis, braces, splints and bars are all used in treatment. Here are a couple of braces and splints that you may hear of:
The Wheaton brace, the Denis Browne splint, the counter-rotation splint, and the Friedman counter splint are just a few.
First and foremost, you need to see the podiatric surgeon before seeking any pedorthic or other treatments.
Richard, C.Ped

Dr. Marlene Reid on 7/20/01 at hrmin (053871)

This may be biased, but he should see a podiatric surgeon.

Richard, C.Ped on 7/24/01 at 08:27 (054099)

I agree with Dr. Reid. He should see the surgeon first. There are also ways to treat this pedorthically, along with medical intervention. Different shoes and shoe modifications, orthosis, braces, splints and bars are all used in treatment. Here are a couple of braces and splints that you may hear of:
The Wheaton brace, the Denis Browne splint, the counter-rotation splint, and the Friedman counter splint are just a few.
First and foremost, you need to see the podiatric surgeon before seeking any pedorthic or other treatments.
Richard, C.Ped