Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Custom Orthotics

Posted by Lisawertin on 7/21/01 at hrmin (053889)

Hi Doctor, Thank you for this page!

Question:My doctor just casted my feet for custom orthotics. After extensive reading on your page I noticed no mention of this method of treatment. Do you have any thoughts, recommendations, or comments?

FYI
I have horrific heel pain, and finally visited my Podiatrist. I am 33, flat-footed, a professor of 8 years (always on my feet!), overweight, and have been physically active for my entire life (dance once a week, aerobics twice a week)

The doctor took x-rays, saw the heel spurs, examined the excruciating pain in the arch of my feet and heels and diagnosed me with PF. He taped my feet (which felt wonderful), suggested that I ice regularly (which is soothing), gave me a shot of cortizone in each foot (OUCH!), and just today casted my feet for orthotics (expensive!).

Re: Custom Orthotics

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/21/01 at 12:13 (053919)

This is a very classic approach to pf and or heel spur pain. Read the heel pain book. Remember that this is an injury and that you need to rest, stretch and never go without shoes, even when taking a shower

Julie on 7/21/01 at 12:32 (053923)

Lisa, could you try to work out a way of sitting while teaching? I know it would be difficult, but the less you are on your feet the quicker you will heal.

As Dr Z says, REST is the thing: the injured fascia must have it in order to heal. So you maybe also need to look at backing off aerobics and dancing, for now. Switch to non-weight-bearing exercise like swimming, stationary biking.

And read the heel pain book - and let us know how you get on.

Most important too is to wear good, supportive shoes with plenty of cushioning. Your orthotics (when you get them) will be only as good as the shoes you put them into.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054069)

Taping is often done for two reasons; the first reason is to provide relief and the second is a test. Taping is a means of reducing plantar fascial tension. If taping works, then orthotics have a good chance of working too. It is important to try to work out as much of the acute symptomatology as possible while you are waiting for the orthotics as it will be easier to get used to the orthotics when you recieve them.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/21/01 at 12:13 (053919)

This is a very classic approach to pf and or heel spur pain. Read the heel pain book. Remember that this is an injury and that you need to rest, stretch and never go without shoes, even when taking a shower

Julie on 7/21/01 at 12:32 (053923)

Lisa, could you try to work out a way of sitting while teaching? I know it would be difficult, but the less you are on your feet the quicker you will heal.

As Dr Z says, REST is the thing: the injured fascia must have it in order to heal. So you maybe also need to look at backing off aerobics and dancing, for now. Switch to non-weight-bearing exercise like swimming, stationary biking.

And read the heel pain book - and let us know how you get on.

Most important too is to wear good, supportive shoes with plenty of cushioning. Your orthotics (when you get them) will be only as good as the shoes you put them into.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054069)

Taping is often done for two reasons; the first reason is to provide relief and the second is a test. Taping is a means of reducing plantar fascial tension. If taping works, then orthotics have a good chance of working too. It is important to try to work out as much of the acute symptomatology as possible while you are waiting for the orthotics as it will be easier to get used to the orthotics when you recieve them.