Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch Pain???

Posted by Donna M on 7/22/01 at 01:32 (053948)

Just had some new pain in the arch area, it started yesterday!! Feels like sharp pains some times and like stretching/tearing pains at other times. This is when I am sitting 'or' standing. I haven't been doing anything different, except maybe getting a little more rest! Anybody got any ideas what it could be?
I thought I had seen something asked similar to this before, and I have gone back and searched, but I can't find anything.
Thanks, Donna

Re: Arch Pain???

Tammy M on 7/22/01 at 19:38 (053986)

Hi Donna. I think I can relate to your arch pain. I get this at night when I come home from work (I am on my feet all day at my job). When I try to sleep I get a sharp shooting pain in my arch that comes on very suddenly- sometimes my foot actually fletches it is so severe. The only thing that has worked for this has been ice, and lots of Ibuprofen (though I'm sure this is not the healthiest remedy). I know this isn't much help...but just so you know you are not alone. Are you on your feet much?

Donna M on 7/22/01 at 21:51 (053987)

Yes Tammy, I am about always on my feet! I don't work outside the home, but I do have 3 grandchildren, one that will 3 next week, a 2 year old and a 4 week old. I am just the type person that can't be still for long periods of time~~and my feet really pay for it!
The weird thing is, when I did ice them yesterday, it seemed to make the pain more intense~~go figure!! I am going to keep on icing though, in hopes it will eventually help!
Thanks for the info and I hope yours gets better!!
You know what is so disgusting about PF is you look healthy to others, but they can't comprehend, evidently, that when your feet hurt, you hurt all over, and no one can really have true compassion and understanding until they have had PF!
Donna

Paula G. on 7/23/01 at 10:46 (054021)

Yes, I have the same thing. I wonder if we somehow walk according to our heel pain and therefore put pressure in the wrong areas? My arches did not begin hurting like they are now until I began wearing supports in my shoes.
I thought I was overcompensating because I was having outer foot pain also near the little toe.

Kathy on 7/23/01 at 10:48 (054023)

Donna,

I know what you mean. I had to give up my part-time job, which I loved, because I couldn't take a leave of absence because I don't know when I'll be able to stand again. My sister, who has no clue what PF is, can't seem to understand why I can't come down and visit her and go tour the local gift shops (she lives in a quaint, tourist-oriented town). When I told her that just walking in the airport would be a problem, she just seemed to think I was putting her off or something. I have hopes of 'filling in' a few hours a week, at my job, starting in mid-September, and I need to be disciplined and rest as much as possible so that I might achieve that goal. If my feet didn't hurt so much, I'd still have my job! It's a very frustrating ailment, in that one has no visible signs of anything wrong. And as to your arch pain, that's the main symptom I have of PF. The only time I experienced any heel pain at all (at the insertion point) was when I tried PT for five weeks. As soon as that pain appeared, and since the PT wasn't helping me, I stopped going. The heel pain has almost disappeared. The arch pain sometimes burns with a vengeance! Rest seems to help me the most - and custom orthotics. I use the ice because they claim it helps, but I don't really see much difference. Did you use the ice too long? That could make the discomfort worse, I believe. I use an 'alcohol ice' which is 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol plus 3/4 cup water. You put it in a zip-lock freezer bag in the freezer and it turns to a slush-like substance. It is VERY cold and should be used only for five minutesor it could result in frostbite. I find it easier to use a few times a day for a short period. I have slight Raynauds (sp?) symptom and so the application of anything cold is especially painful for me. Good luck and hang in there!

Re: Top Ten List

D.Thomas on 7/23/01 at 13:36 (054033)

I would just like to third the opinion on people not understanding how painful PF can be and that they have no idea what it feels like.

I kind of have a Top Ten list for PF:

#10) Worrying how you are going to make it to any store to get your shopping done without too much pain.

#9) Trying to get your wife/husband to understand PF so they don't keep making plans that require you to be on your feet.

#8) Trying to make your doctor understand how much pain you are in all the time.

#7) Having a doctor tell you that some people just can't stay on their feet that long (i.e., less than a minute) and that you need to accept that in your life.

#6) Having a stock of ice bottles in your refrigerator.

#5) Advil. Advil. Advil. And hope you don't end up with a bleeding stomach.

#4) Waking up in the morning and realizing how much you have to get done today and start to worry about how much pain you are going to be in trying to get these done.

#3) Patience. Patience. Patience.

#2) Fear that you are going to be with this PAIN the rest of your life.

#1) Having other people think you can't handle pain and you are just being a baby about the whole thing.

ellen w on 7/23/01 at 14:56 (054045)

To this list I would add sister-in-laws who keep insisting, 'There must be something you can do!'

Good list. I enjoyed it.
Ellen

Re: a suggestion for Donna

Lori E. on 7/23/01 at 22:49 (054073)

Donna,
I don't know where you are in your PF recovery....Just I thought for you, if the ice makes it hurt more, maybe try ice then heat, or maybe just heat. I have a heating pad under my desk and I use it when I am on the computer sometimes. It seems to help relax my feet at the end of the day or when I get up in the morning. Just a thought. I know there is some contraversy about ice or heat. I figure if one doesn't help try the other or combine them. Good luck.

Donna M on 7/24/01 at 00:01 (054075)

Thanks Lori, I'll give that a try! You never know until you try!! :)
Donna

Tammy M on 7/22/01 at 19:38 (053986)

Hi Donna. I think I can relate to your arch pain. I get this at night when I come home from work (I am on my feet all day at my job). When I try to sleep I get a sharp shooting pain in my arch that comes on very suddenly- sometimes my foot actually fletches it is so severe. The only thing that has worked for this has been ice, and lots of Ibuprofen (though I'm sure this is not the healthiest remedy). I know this isn't much help...but just so you know you are not alone. Are you on your feet much?

Donna M on 7/22/01 at 21:51 (053987)

Yes Tammy, I am about always on my feet! I don't work outside the home, but I do have 3 grandchildren, one that will 3 next week, a 2 year old and a 4 week old. I am just the type person that can't be still for long periods of time~~and my feet really pay for it!
The weird thing is, when I did ice them yesterday, it seemed to make the pain more intense~~go figure!! I am going to keep on icing though, in hopes it will eventually help!
Thanks for the info and I hope yours gets better!!
You know what is so disgusting about PF is you look healthy to others, but they can't comprehend, evidently, that when your feet hurt, you hurt all over, and no one can really have true compassion and understanding until they have had PF!
Donna

Paula G. on 7/23/01 at 10:46 (054021)

Yes, I have the same thing. I wonder if we somehow walk according to our heel pain and therefore put pressure in the wrong areas? My arches did not begin hurting like they are now until I began wearing supports in my shoes.
I thought I was overcompensating because I was having outer foot pain also near the little toe.

Kathy on 7/23/01 at 10:48 (054023)

Donna,

I know what you mean. I had to give up my part-time job, which I loved, because I couldn't take a leave of absence because I don't know when I'll be able to stand again. My sister, who has no clue what PF is, can't seem to understand why I can't come down and visit her and go tour the local gift shops (she lives in a quaint, tourist-oriented town). When I told her that just walking in the airport would be a problem, she just seemed to think I was putting her off or something. I have hopes of 'filling in' a few hours a week, at my job, starting in mid-September, and I need to be disciplined and rest as much as possible so that I might achieve that goal. If my feet didn't hurt so much, I'd still have my job! It's a very frustrating ailment, in that one has no visible signs of anything wrong. And as to your arch pain, that's the main symptom I have of PF. The only time I experienced any heel pain at all (at the insertion point) was when I tried PT for five weeks. As soon as that pain appeared, and since the PT wasn't helping me, I stopped going. The heel pain has almost disappeared. The arch pain sometimes burns with a vengeance! Rest seems to help me the most - and custom orthotics. I use the ice because they claim it helps, but I don't really see much difference. Did you use the ice too long? That could make the discomfort worse, I believe. I use an 'alcohol ice' which is 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol plus 3/4 cup water. You put it in a zip-lock freezer bag in the freezer and it turns to a slush-like substance. It is VERY cold and should be used only for five minutesor it could result in frostbite. I find it easier to use a few times a day for a short period. I have slight Raynauds (sp?) symptom and so the application of anything cold is especially painful for me. Good luck and hang in there!

D.Thomas on 7/23/01 at 13:36 (054033)

I would just like to third the opinion on people not understanding how painful PF can be and that they have no idea what it feels like.

I kind of have a Top Ten list for PF:

#10) Worrying how you are going to make it to any store to get your shopping done without too much pain.

#9) Trying to get your wife/husband to understand PF so they don't keep making plans that require you to be on your feet.

#8) Trying to make your doctor understand how much pain you are in all the time.

#7) Having a doctor tell you that some people just can't stay on their feet that long (i.e., less than a minute) and that you need to accept that in your life.

#6) Having a stock of ice bottles in your refrigerator.

#5) Advil. Advil. Advil. And hope you don't end up with a bleeding stomach.

#4) Waking up in the morning and realizing how much you have to get done today and start to worry about how much pain you are going to be in trying to get these done.

#3) Patience. Patience. Patience.

#2) Fear that you are going to be with this PAIN the rest of your life.

#1) Having other people think you can't handle pain and you are just being a baby about the whole thing.

ellen w on 7/23/01 at 14:56 (054045)

To this list I would add sister-in-laws who keep insisting, 'There must be something you can do!'

Good list. I enjoyed it.
Ellen

Lori E. on 7/23/01 at 22:49 (054073)

Donna,
I don't know where you are in your PF recovery....Just I thought for you, if the ice makes it hurt more, maybe try ice then heat, or maybe just heat. I have a heating pad under my desk and I use it when I am on the computer sometimes. It seems to help relax my feet at the end of the day or when I get up in the morning. Just a thought. I know there is some contraversy about ice or heat. I figure if one doesn't help try the other or combine them. Good luck.

Donna M on 7/24/01 at 00:01 (054075)

Thanks Lori, I'll give that a try! You never know until you try!! :)
Donna