Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Orbasone done yesterday

Posted by MetheeP on 7/22/01 at 22:19 (053989)

First Orbasone done yesterday in New Jersey by Dr Z. Travel from Dallas to Woodbury and stay overnight after treatment. This is a further step to give myself another hope after more than 3 years of suffering with period of up and down. This PF has ruined these productive years of my life and changed my lifestyle for worse. I only hope for being able to walk normally with no pain and swelling, not running like used to.
Went in for an exam of my right PF heel, was a candidate for ESWT. The area of pain when pressed is well defined. Actually I can pinpoint it myself since I did massage the area myself frequently. I would say it is right at the heel spur and area anterior to it, and area lateral to both sides of the heel spur. The pain level when pressed by the Dr is 3 on 1-10 scale but if let me pinpoint it and press it myself, it will be sharp pain closer to 10 level.
Treatment was about 35 minutes of heel resting still on the part of the machine that looked like water balloon, diameter about twice the width of my heel. Dr's nurse held my foot against the balloon the whole time except a few times when Dr came in to reposition the foot. I think position is important because the pulse from the machine needed to be centered at the point of maximum pain on the heel when pressed by Dr.
The machine sent out about 25-30 pulses a minute. The feeling when the pulse hitted the heel was like being hitted lightly by a rubber hammer. No pain with each hit. There was a few strong hit that came once in a while that gave me a little jerk. The nurse adjust intensity of hit a few times. She said I got up to 20 point at the max. I would like to ask Dr about intensity next time that if pressing harder comparing to lighter against the water balloon will get a stronger pulse or not.
There was no redness, no bruise, no swollen, no tender or any apparent change to the area post treatment, not even today. If the treatment is supposed to cause some injury to the treatment area, I would guess I hardly felt any thing.
Dr said gave about 2 months to see the result and whether I need any more treatment. Different people heal differently. I would wait a little longer before posting on the part of the board 'enter your ESWT treatment experience'. Meantime I hope to be among those people that have successful result.

Re: First Orbasone done yesterday

Julie on 7/23/01 at 00:33 (053993)

And we all hope that for you! Thank you for posting your experience, and please do keep us informed.

Scott R on 7/23/01 at 10:47 (054022)

I believe that if an ESWT machine head is pressed into the heel it will decreases the distance from the skin to the painful area so that the pressure waves are much stronger because they do not have to lose strength by travelling through as much tissue. It's probably an exponential rate of decreasing strength so that cutting the distance through the tissue to the painful area in half may increase the energy applied by a factor of 4 or so. But the head design may be focusing the energy so that pressing it may make it go out of focus. If the pressing increases the tissue density instead of just pushing it out of the way, then that's even better because the waves will keep their 'high-frequency components' and not 'flatten' or 'smear' out their strength in higher-density tissue because higher-density material transmits high frequencies better.

The best way to tell may be to set it on an energy low enough to not require anesthesia and then see if pressing it causes more pain, but that makes an assumption or two also.

My short answer is yes.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/23/01 at 12:07 (054027)

According to healthronics and the ossatron training f2 never changes with coupling presssure. f2 is a constant.

Julie on 7/23/01 at 00:33 (053993)

And we all hope that for you! Thank you for posting your experience, and please do keep us informed.

Scott R on 7/23/01 at 10:47 (054022)

I believe that if an ESWT machine head is pressed into the heel it will decreases the distance from the skin to the painful area so that the pressure waves are much stronger because they do not have to lose strength by travelling through as much tissue. It's probably an exponential rate of decreasing strength so that cutting the distance through the tissue to the painful area in half may increase the energy applied by a factor of 4 or so. But the head design may be focusing the energy so that pressing it may make it go out of focus. If the pressing increases the tissue density instead of just pushing it out of the way, then that's even better because the waves will keep their 'high-frequency components' and not 'flatten' or 'smear' out their strength in higher-density tissue because higher-density material transmits high frequencies better.

The best way to tell may be to set it on an energy low enough to not require anesthesia and then see if pressing it causes more pain, but that makes an assumption or two also.

My short answer is yes.

Dr. Zuckerman on 7/23/01 at 12:07 (054027)

According to healthronics and the ossatron training f2 never changes with coupling presssure. f2 is a constant.