Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chronic foot pain after hammer toe surgery

Posted by terir on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054031)

Please Help!

My mother had hammertoe surgery approx. 2 years ago on the 4th and 5th toes of her left foot. After the surgery she seemed to be recovering as she expected, some minor pain. Then, about 5 months after the surgery after wearing a pair of shoes, the pain started and has gotten worse. The pain resides in her left foot, between her toes -- throughout that foot.

The pain is the greatest when she wears shoes. And her foot is swollen all the time. She has seen several doctors, including physical therapists, worn orthodics, and nothing seems to work.

Although no tests were done, one doctor through out the terms neuroma, scar tissue.

Would you be able to recommend a next step for her as far as some tests that could possibly be done to understand what the problem is.

Thank-you

Re: Chronic foot pain after hammer toe surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054068)

Is the pain between the 4th and 5th toes or between all the toes of her left foot? Is the swelling just in the area of the surgery or does it extend beyond that area? Does the foot appear discolored? Does the left foot feel warmer or cooler than the right foot?

Teri R on 7/25/01 at 07:51 (054247)

THe pain exists above, under and sometimes between the 4th and 5th toes. The swelling is in the surgery area of the toes. As far as dsicoloration goes, it gets red, mostly when shoes are removed. The area that has been touching the shoes always hurts. There is no difference in the temperature of the foot.

Thank so much!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/25/01 at hrmin (054312)

Please keep in mind that I cannot give you a diagnosis here as I do not have the benefit of an examination but can try to offer some suggestions.

Occasionally, a complication known as a 'sausage toe' occurs after hammertoe surgery. The toe becomes swollen and filled with scar tissue. The swollen toe, in turn, rubs against the shoe, getting more irritated and against the toe next to it. Treatment involves injecting a 'ring' of a cortisone-like substance around the base of the toe coupled with elastic compression wraps. Such treatment tends to be more successful if one does not wait too long to obtain it though so I would suggest moving forward with an evaluation as soon as practical.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at hrmin (054068)

Is the pain between the 4th and 5th toes or between all the toes of her left foot? Is the swelling just in the area of the surgery or does it extend beyond that area? Does the foot appear discolored? Does the left foot feel warmer or cooler than the right foot?

Teri R on 7/25/01 at 07:51 (054247)

THe pain exists above, under and sometimes between the 4th and 5th toes. The swelling is in the surgery area of the toes. As far as dsicoloration goes, it gets red, mostly when shoes are removed. The area that has been touching the shoes always hurts. There is no difference in the temperature of the foot.

Thank so much!

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/25/01 at hrmin (054312)

Please keep in mind that I cannot give you a diagnosis here as I do not have the benefit of an examination but can try to offer some suggestions.

Occasionally, a complication known as a 'sausage toe' occurs after hammertoe surgery. The toe becomes swollen and filled with scar tissue. The swollen toe, in turn, rubs against the shoe, getting more irritated and against the toe next to it. Treatment involves injecting a 'ring' of a cortisone-like substance around the base of the toe coupled with elastic compression wraps. Such treatment tends to be more successful if one does not wait too long to obtain it though so I would suggest moving forward with an evaluation as soon as practical.
Ed