Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

virus

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 7/23/01 at 22:06 (054067)

I recieved the suspicious email with the attachment but did not open the attachment. I deleted the email as soon as I heard of the virus. Is Norton Antivirus program effective on this particular virus?

Re: virus

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 08:00 (054097)

Ed--

Norton should be effective if you have updated your virus definitions within the past few days.

Julie on 7/24/01 at 09:19 (054112)

There is also a Norton web page that describes the virus and its behaviour in detail and offers a Fixsirc. too. It seems to work only with Windows, though.

Symantec: Sircam virus description

the url for the tool is http://www.symantex.com/avcenter/FixSirc.com

Julie on 7/24/01 at 09:23 (054113)

The first url should have been

http://www.symantex.com/avcenter/

Re: Correct URL and PC vs. Mac explanation

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 10:57 (054123)

The URL for details on the virus is href='http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html' target='new'> w32.sircam.worm@mm.html" target="new">http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html and you can download the removal tool from this page as well

The reason that the fix is only for the PC is that, because of the differences in file structure between Windows and the Mac operating system, the virus will not have an effect on the Mac (it's looking for files and folders that don't exist on a Mac).

JudyS on 7/24/01 at 11:40 (054131)

I thought the 'virus' hadn't affected me.....but I was wrong. While my OS and files are just fine, I'm now receiving daily onslaughts of x-rated emails! I've never received any junk emails before as my email server is a college as opposed to a commercial server. I think I've been invaded!

Re: spam

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 12:32 (054133)

Judy--

Spam unfortunately doesn't discriminate according to who owns the server. I've had plenty of the stuff on my college account. I haven't seen anything that indicates a connection between this virus and spam, though. It's probably coincidence (when I get it at work, it tends to come in spurts, and then suddenly, I don't get any for a while). Make sure you don't reply to any of it, or they'll know they have a live address and will bombard you (even when it says 'reply here to be removed from our list') it's a ruse to confirm email addresses.

The best service I know of for reporting spam is spamcop.net. There's a free service as well as a more elaborate pay service.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/24/01 at 14:16 (054140)

Thanks Judy. I use web based email, Hotmail, because I can access messages from home or when traveling. Hotmail automatically scans all attachments for viruses with the McAfee program. I don't know how regularly the boys at Microsoft keep McAfee up to date though. I did not have the courage to find out, so I deleted the message, attachment and all since it looked suspicious.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/24/01 at 14:17 (054141)

Whoops, I meant to address this to Nancy--sorry.

john h on 7/24/01 at 17:03 (054157)

you see judy why we mac elitist are mac elitist! only you pc guys/girls are subject to this dreaded disease. i know julie,nancy n and myself use a mac. anyone else outhere?

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 17:52 (054164)

Laurie - if it makes you feel any better....this virus hit the paper and the radio stations here today...apparently it's really causing a lot of havoc...just wanted you to know how widespread it was.

It's being blocked where I work - but the dude on the radio said he was watching the emails come in with the virus just one after the other.

Re: virusRE Wendy

Laurie R on 7/24/01 at 18:48 (054170)

Hey Wendy , This is such a trip... I am still getting these emails ,I just delete them .... I think I told everyone that I did not only open it once last week I opened two different ones.... You can sure bet my anti Mcafee scan is up to date now and I scan everyday now. What a mess ..... Who ever made this virus up is very evil in my book. I got an email from a very nice lady in Ireland and she asked me what the email was ...I emailed her back and said not to open it and that it was a virus. So your right it is everywhere.

Dr.Z had mentioned in one of his post that he had read somewhere that the virus email will only go out 8000 times then it dies...Has anyone else heard that ???

I guess it was a wake up call for all of us , not to open attachment unless you know for sure what it is and who it is from... I don't even want to open any attachments at this point.

Thanks's Wendy ,How are you doing ?? Laurie R

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 21:00 (054177)

Interesting Judy - I just got a very XXX email this morning - first time.

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 21:07 (054179)

Been a long week Laurie - and you?

Lisa C. on 7/24/01 at 22:01 (054184)

Nancy N I can't thank you enough for letting us know about the 'reply here to be removed from our list' ruse! I always replied and I get more junk mail then anyone I know. Some of it extremly undesirable.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:53 (054235)

Nancy, thanks for picking up on this one.

I'm relieved to know Sircam doesn't target Macs. But thanks to you I've updated my virus protection, have resolved to do so regularly and am - I hope - squeaky clean now.

I think you ought to start a computer users support group. You've given us all so much information and help. Thank you!

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:56 (054237)

That's interesting, Nancy. I've been getting more junk stuff too. This morning I decided not to click on the 'remove me' button, followed my instincts, and deleted. Now you've confirmed I did the right thing.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 02:01 (054240)

The papers here are full of it. Since Sircam was 'born' on 17 July (in the States, from where it is spreading) it has taken over Europe. A nasty worm indeed. A real spreader.

john h on 7/25/01 at 09:01 (054259)

judy: if you are receiving onslaugts of sex email then you must have been on one of their sites which placed a cookie on your computer. you will continue to get these once they start. trash all the sex oriented cookies from your explorer preferences. better yet trash all the cookies and start over.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 10:49 (054273)

Lisa--

Fight back!! Send the spam to spamcop@spamcop.net , and they will figure out where it came from (most spam headers are forged) and allow you to send a complaint report. I always do it with any spam I get--it should, in theory, get the spammers' accounts closed down. Granted, it's not hard to get a new one, but it at least makes life more difficult for them.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 10:51 (054274)

Julie--

I should add that I am not sure if the virus will affect Mac versions of Outlook. I don't know how either program works, so it's possible that the emailing part of the virus will still work on a Mac (though I would doubt it). But the rest of it definitely will not affect you.

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:05 (054294)

since the virus invaded dr z's computer and gathered our names is it not possible that it gathered his xxx files and that is why judy and wendy are receiving xxx mail. thanks a lot dr z!

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:08 (054295)

if you are using microsoft office or word for mac there could be a chance this virus might effect a mac. i am not at all sure about that but those are pc products with similar files to the mac.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 19:23 (054299)

They're similar, yes, but I am not sure about the actual coding. I would imagine that that part is different. Word does use Visual Basic on both PC and Mac, but the commands probably won't have much effect on the Mac because they're all geared toward PC-related items. For example, the hard drive on a PC is usually called C:, but there is no such distinction on the Mac, so right there the virus code should be stumped. Filenames, trash, etc all work very differently on the Mac, and there is no registry like there is on the PC--and the registry is what is most often attacked by a Word-related virus. So that's what makes us pretty safe on the Mac side--not immune, but a lot closer than we would be if we used a PC.

JudyS on 7/25/01 at 22:14 (054314)

You sound envious, John.......
FYI - I've received emails twice today from strangers with the attachment 'I need your advice'. I also received 2 more x-rated emails.

wendyn on 7/25/01 at 23:44 (054325)

I'm also getting the xrated emails - plus one from 'Chrissy' who asked me to reply back to make sure her email works. I did not.

Bizarre - I haven't had any garbage for about a year.

Julie on 7/26/01 at 02:48 (054341)

Nancy, when I got the e-mail worm from Dr Z, I couldn't open the attached file. Then I updated my virus protection, and haven't had the e-mail since. Do you think that suggest that the Mac version of Outlook Express isn't vulnerable and that I'm immune?

Julie on 7/26/01 at 02:50 (054342)

Nancy, aren't you glad you switched to Macs?

Nancy N on 7/26/01 at 07:59 (054347)

No, there's nothing to stop the email from being sent to you by another infected computer. You'd still get the email, even though your definitions are up to date and you're on the Mac. It just won't have the same effect on you. You must just have lucky friends (or else they all use Macs!).

Nancy N on 7/26/01 at 08:00 (054348)

Aside from not being able to run my old copy of Myst (which I never played anyway after the first week) or do work on Access databases on my Mac, I haven't had a second thought about switching. It really is a great little machine.

Julie on 7/26/01 at 08:07 (054350)

Good morning, Nancy. I think it's me that's lucky.

Lisa C. on 7/27/01 at 00:46 (054424)

Thank you Nancy. I have saved the address to my favorites and I will do that next time.(tomorrow) I used to use my 'block sender' feature but I reached maximum capicity. I decided to start from scratch and I unblocked all the old names, and surprise I started getting more junk mail again. I figured that some of those names were a year old and wouldn't bother me anymore.

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 08:00 (054097)

Ed--

Norton should be effective if you have updated your virus definitions within the past few days.

Julie on 7/24/01 at 09:19 (054112)

There is also a Norton web page that describes the virus and its behaviour in detail and offers a Fixsirc. too. It seems to work only with Windows, though.

Symantec: Sircam virus description

the url for the tool is http://www.symantex.com/avcenter/FixSirc.com

Julie on 7/24/01 at 09:23 (054113)

The first url should have been

http://www.symantex.com/avcenter/

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 10:57 (054123)

The URL for details on the virus is href='http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html' target='new'> w32.sircam.worm@mm.html" target="new">http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html and you can download the removal tool from this page as well

The reason that the fix is only for the PC is that, because of the differences in file structure between Windows and the Mac operating system, the virus will not have an effect on the Mac (it's looking for files and folders that don't exist on a Mac).

JudyS on 7/24/01 at 11:40 (054131)

I thought the 'virus' hadn't affected me.....but I was wrong. While my OS and files are just fine, I'm now receiving daily onslaughts of x-rated emails! I've never received any junk emails before as my email server is a college as opposed to a commercial server. I think I've been invaded!

Nancy N on 7/24/01 at 12:32 (054133)

Judy--

Spam unfortunately doesn't discriminate according to who owns the server. I've had plenty of the stuff on my college account. I haven't seen anything that indicates a connection between this virus and spam, though. It's probably coincidence (when I get it at work, it tends to come in spurts, and then suddenly, I don't get any for a while). Make sure you don't reply to any of it, or they'll know they have a live address and will bombard you (even when it says 'reply here to be removed from our list') it's a ruse to confirm email addresses.

The best service I know of for reporting spam is spamcop.net. There's a free service as well as a more elaborate pay service.

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/24/01 at 14:16 (054140)

Thanks Judy. I use web based email, Hotmail, because I can access messages from home or when traveling. Hotmail automatically scans all attachments for viruses with the McAfee program. I don't know how regularly the boys at Microsoft keep McAfee up to date though. I did not have the courage to find out, so I deleted the message, attachment and all since it looked suspicious.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 7/24/01 at 14:17 (054141)

Whoops, I meant to address this to Nancy--sorry.

john h on 7/24/01 at 17:03 (054157)

you see judy why we mac elitist are mac elitist! only you pc guys/girls are subject to this dreaded disease. i know julie,nancy n and myself use a mac. anyone else outhere?

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 17:52 (054164)

Laurie - if it makes you feel any better....this virus hit the paper and the radio stations here today...apparently it's really causing a lot of havoc...just wanted you to know how widespread it was.

It's being blocked where I work - but the dude on the radio said he was watching the emails come in with the virus just one after the other.

Laurie R on 7/24/01 at 18:48 (054170)

Hey Wendy , This is such a trip... I am still getting these emails ,I just delete them .... I think I told everyone that I did not only open it once last week I opened two different ones.... You can sure bet my anti Mcafee scan is up to date now and I scan everyday now. What a mess ..... Who ever made this virus up is very evil in my book. I got an email from a very nice lady in Ireland and she asked me what the email was ...I emailed her back and said not to open it and that it was a virus. So your right it is everywhere.

Dr.Z had mentioned in one of his post that he had read somewhere that the virus email will only go out 8000 times then it dies...Has anyone else heard that ???

I guess it was a wake up call for all of us , not to open attachment unless you know for sure what it is and who it is from... I don't even want to open any attachments at this point.

Thanks's Wendy ,How are you doing ?? Laurie R

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 21:00 (054177)

Interesting Judy - I just got a very XXX email this morning - first time.

wendyn on 7/24/01 at 21:07 (054179)

Been a long week Laurie - and you?

Lisa C. on 7/24/01 at 22:01 (054184)

Nancy N I can't thank you enough for letting us know about the 'reply here to be removed from our list' ruse! I always replied and I get more junk mail then anyone I know. Some of it extremly undesirable.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:53 (054235)

Nancy, thanks for picking up on this one.

I'm relieved to know Sircam doesn't target Macs. But thanks to you I've updated my virus protection, have resolved to do so regularly and am - I hope - squeaky clean now.

I think you ought to start a computer users support group. You've given us all so much information and help. Thank you!

Julie on 7/25/01 at 01:56 (054237)

That's interesting, Nancy. I've been getting more junk stuff too. This morning I decided not to click on the 'remove me' button, followed my instincts, and deleted. Now you've confirmed I did the right thing.

Julie on 7/25/01 at 02:01 (054240)

The papers here are full of it. Since Sircam was 'born' on 17 July (in the States, from where it is spreading) it has taken over Europe. A nasty worm indeed. A real spreader.

john h on 7/25/01 at 09:01 (054259)

judy: if you are receiving onslaugts of sex email then you must have been on one of their sites which placed a cookie on your computer. you will continue to get these once they start. trash all the sex oriented cookies from your explorer preferences. better yet trash all the cookies and start over.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 10:49 (054273)

Lisa--

Fight back!! Send the spam to spamcop@spamcop.net , and they will figure out where it came from (most spam headers are forged) and allow you to send a complaint report. I always do it with any spam I get--it should, in theory, get the spammers' accounts closed down. Granted, it's not hard to get a new one, but it at least makes life more difficult for them.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 10:51 (054274)

Julie--

I should add that I am not sure if the virus will affect Mac versions of Outlook. I don't know how either program works, so it's possible that the emailing part of the virus will still work on a Mac (though I would doubt it). But the rest of it definitely will not affect you.

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:05 (054294)

since the virus invaded dr z's computer and gathered our names is it not possible that it gathered his xxx files and that is why judy and wendy are receiving xxx mail. thanks a lot dr z!

john h on 7/25/01 at 18:08 (054295)

if you are using microsoft office or word for mac there could be a chance this virus might effect a mac. i am not at all sure about that but those are pc products with similar files to the mac.

Nancy N on 7/25/01 at 19:23 (054299)

They're similar, yes, but I am not sure about the actual coding. I would imagine that that part is different. Word does use Visual Basic on both PC and Mac, but the commands probably won't have much effect on the Mac because they're all geared toward PC-related items. For example, the hard drive on a PC is usually called C:, but there is no such distinction on the Mac, so right there the virus code should be stumped. Filenames, trash, etc all work very differently on the Mac, and there is no registry like there is on the PC--and the registry is what is most often attacked by a Word-related virus. So that's what makes us pretty safe on the Mac side--not immune, but a lot closer than we would be if we used a PC.

JudyS on 7/25/01 at 22:14 (054314)

You sound envious, John.......
FYI - I've received emails twice today from strangers with the attachment 'I need your advice'. I also received 2 more x-rated emails.

wendyn on 7/25/01 at 23:44 (054325)

I'm also getting the xrated emails - plus one from 'Chrissy' who asked me to reply back to make sure her email works. I did not.

Bizarre - I haven't had any garbage for about a year.

Julie on 7/26/01 at 02:48 (054341)

Nancy, when I got the e-mail worm from Dr Z, I couldn't open the attached file. Then I updated my virus protection, and haven't had the e-mail since. Do you think that suggest that the Mac version of Outlook Express isn't vulnerable and that I'm immune?

Julie on 7/26/01 at 02:50 (054342)

Nancy, aren't you glad you switched to Macs?

Nancy N on 7/26/01 at 07:59 (054347)

No, there's nothing to stop the email from being sent to you by another infected computer. You'd still get the email, even though your definitions are up to date and you're on the Mac. It just won't have the same effect on you. You must just have lucky friends (or else they all use Macs!).

Nancy N on 7/26/01 at 08:00 (054348)

Aside from not being able to run my old copy of Myst (which I never played anyway after the first week) or do work on Access databases on my Mac, I haven't had a second thought about switching. It really is a great little machine.

Julie on 7/26/01 at 08:07 (054350)

Good morning, Nancy. I think it's me that's lucky.

Lisa C. on 7/27/01 at 00:46 (054424)

Thank you Nancy. I have saved the address to my favorites and I will do that next time.(tomorrow) I used to use my 'block sender' feature but I reached maximum capicity. I decided to start from scratch and I unblocked all the old names, and surprise I started getting more junk mail again. I figured that some of those names were a year old and wouldn't bother me anymore.