Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I just found out I have a heel spur.....

Posted by Kathy on 7/24/01 at 11:13 (054125)

I knew something was wrong in Jan. when my foot started hurting. I had started walking on a treadmill. Of course I stopped walking on it for a month. After that I have been fine. Till last week when I was wearing sandals caring my son and stepped on a rock.

Well, I have to stay off the treadmill for a while and I am not happy about that. I am trying to lose weight. I have lost 60 lbs so far. I am half way to my goal. So its very frustration to not get on the treadmill everyday.

Ok...so my question is....is there anything besides staying off my foot that will help? Or any exercises I can to to prevent it from happening again?

Thanks in advance :o)

Re: I just found out I have a heel spur.....

Steve P on 7/24/01 at 18:41 (054168)

Hi Kathy --- Do you have a diagnosis from a doctor? If so, is it PF, heelspur(s), or both? One foot or both?

Regards..............Steve

Re: To Kathy~~~~~Re: I just found out I have a heel spur.....

Necee on 7/24/01 at 22:07 (054185)

Hi Kathy,
Welcome to the board. I was diagnosed with a heelspur in March so I know what your going through, as a matter of fact, everyone who frequents this website understands and has much knowledge to give.
As for me I've learned a lot by reading and keeping in touch with this website, its amazing how much I've learned here! I must tell you that I know from experience it's very important to rest your feet, the pain is a result of inflammation so whatever you can do to reduce the inflammation is going to reduce the pain as well. When sitting, get a rolling pin and place in on the floor beneath you foot, place your foot on top of the pin and gently roll it back and forth, you can do the same thing using a small plastic water bottle thats been frozen, the cold helps bring down the inflammation. Taking anti-inflammatory medication also helps along with wearing proper shoes, good support is a must!
I have had 'THE SHOT', which didn't help me much and ultrasound. I've been to one Pod, two Orthopedic Surgeons and a Chiropractor, I tried taking Celebrex and Vioxx which helps my other aches and pains but didn't do much for my foot.
What I have discovered that works for me is, rest, icing after being on my feet, wearing a Futuro ankle brace, and wearing good support shoes, you might have to try several pair before you find the right one for you. Stretching your calves is also very important especially if you experience that 'first steps of the morning pain'.
But most of all don't give up, this is something that's not going to go away over night, you must be persistant in your rehab. Read the heel pain book found here on this website, and if there's something you don't understand or have a question about please post it, we are all here to help eachother.
I hope this has helped you in some way, and I do wish you much luck. Keep in touch here as I'm sure others will give you good advice.
Best of luck
Necee

Re: Question for Necee.....

Donna M on 7/25/01 at 00:23 (054211)

I have seen you and others talk about the futuro ankle brace. What is that? It isn't the same thing as the ankle support, kind of like an ace bandage type thing, is it?
Where do you get them? Thanks, Donna

Necee on 7/25/01 at 00:42 (054213)

Hi Donna,
The Futuro ankle brace is like a ace bandage except you don't have to wrap all the bandage around and around your foot. It comes in one piece, that slips over your foot and ankle, it gives your ankle support and also the bottom of your foot which also helps relieve the tension on the Fascia.
I bought mine at Wal Mart, they are very inexpensive and in my case have been really helpful.
Hope that helps you, by the way what type of foot pain do you have?
Necee

Donna M on 7/25/01 at 01:08 (054218)

Hi, again and thanks! I hoped that's what you were talking about, as I bought my daughter one a few years ago when she was a cheerleader! If I can find it, I'm going to use it, if not I'll go buy another one!
Mine is heel and arch pain. I've been diagnosed and treated for PF and a heelspur. My arches are now hurting some, just within the past week or so, but my 'main' pain is on the outside edge of my foot. There is no way I can let it touch the floor it hurts so bad! The later in the day it gets, the worse it hurts! It is kind of right where you would sit your heel down on the floor to take a normal step. So even though I wear Birk's all the time, I still have to put the front of my foot down first, or kind of drag my heel where my foot won't hit the ground with any weight on it! It doesn't seen to be improving any what-so-ever either!!
So I am just trying to be patient and do what I can to get any relief that I can!
Thanks for the info on the arch brace!
Take Care, Donna

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:12 (054355)

from most of my reading i gather that the heelspur is not the source of pain but the result of the fascia tugging on the heel. many people have heel spurs with not pain and many like myself have pain with no heelspurs.

Steve P on 7/24/01 at 18:41 (054168)

Hi Kathy --- Do you have a diagnosis from a doctor? If so, is it PF, heelspur(s), or both? One foot or both?

Regards..............Steve

Re: To Kathy~~~~~Re: I just found out I have a heel spur.....

Necee on 7/24/01 at 22:07 (054185)

Hi Kathy,
Welcome to the board. I was diagnosed with a heelspur in March so I know what your going through, as a matter of fact, everyone who frequents this website understands and has much knowledge to give.
As for me I've learned a lot by reading and keeping in touch with this website, its amazing how much I've learned here! I must tell you that I know from experience it's very important to rest your feet, the pain is a result of inflammation so whatever you can do to reduce the inflammation is going to reduce the pain as well. When sitting, get a rolling pin and place in on the floor beneath you foot, place your foot on top of the pin and gently roll it back and forth, you can do the same thing using a small plastic water bottle thats been frozen, the cold helps bring down the inflammation. Taking anti-inflammatory medication also helps along with wearing proper shoes, good support is a must!
I have had 'THE SHOT', which didn't help me much and ultrasound. I've been to one Pod, two Orthopedic Surgeons and a Chiropractor, I tried taking Celebrex and Vioxx which helps my other aches and pains but didn't do much for my foot.
What I have discovered that works for me is, rest, icing after being on my feet, wearing a Futuro ankle brace, and wearing good support shoes, you might have to try several pair before you find the right one for you. Stretching your calves is also very important especially if you experience that 'first steps of the morning pain'.
But most of all don't give up, this is something that's not going to go away over night, you must be persistant in your rehab. Read the heel pain book found here on this website, and if there's something you don't understand or have a question about please post it, we are all here to help eachother.
I hope this has helped you in some way, and I do wish you much luck. Keep in touch here as I'm sure others will give you good advice.
Best of luck
Necee

Donna M on 7/25/01 at 00:23 (054211)

I have seen you and others talk about the futuro ankle brace. What is that? It isn't the same thing as the ankle support, kind of like an ace bandage type thing, is it?
Where do you get them? Thanks, Donna

Necee on 7/25/01 at 00:42 (054213)

Hi Donna,
The Futuro ankle brace is like a ace bandage except you don't have to wrap all the bandage around and around your foot. It comes in one piece, that slips over your foot and ankle, it gives your ankle support and also the bottom of your foot which also helps relieve the tension on the Fascia.
I bought mine at Wal Mart, they are very inexpensive and in my case have been really helpful.
Hope that helps you, by the way what type of foot pain do you have?
Necee

Donna M on 7/25/01 at 01:08 (054218)

Hi, again and thanks! I hoped that's what you were talking about, as I bought my daughter one a few years ago when she was a cheerleader! If I can find it, I'm going to use it, if not I'll go buy another one!
Mine is heel and arch pain. I've been diagnosed and treated for PF and a heelspur. My arches are now hurting some, just within the past week or so, but my 'main' pain is on the outside edge of my foot. There is no way I can let it touch the floor it hurts so bad! The later in the day it gets, the worse it hurts! It is kind of right where you would sit your heel down on the floor to take a normal step. So even though I wear Birk's all the time, I still have to put the front of my foot down first, or kind of drag my heel where my foot won't hit the ground with any weight on it! It doesn't seen to be improving any what-so-ever either!!
So I am just trying to be patient and do what I can to get any relief that I can!
Thanks for the info on the arch brace!
Take Care, Donna

john h on 7/26/01 at 09:12 (054355)

from most of my reading i gather that the heelspur is not the source of pain but the result of the fascia tugging on the heel. many people have heel spurs with not pain and many like myself have pain with no heelspurs.